first build?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bam290

Hello
Im new to building rat rods i watched my uncle build his and he will help me.What would be a good first build?
Thanks

Well, if you've got a ton of dough, look around the site, old books and shows, then pick your dream car/truck. Otherwise, look around the local ads, drive around and find something affordable and cool and start building it!

T-buckets are very easy first builds and a very simple fenderless bobber style truck can be an easy build. I would consider something with a small cab that could go on a T bucket style chassis. There are countless resources for parts to keep heavy fabrication down to a minimum.

Just remember that it will become as complicated as you make it. That's just my two cents.

Paul

first build

find something you like !
and try to get it on the cheep...
need cash for the build and if you are going to be motivated you are going to have to like it...[cl GET R DONE

I think that is the first step, like Flywheel says, find something you REALLY WANT TO OWN. There are a lot of old cars out there, but only so many really make me want to have them. A car that you build has to really stir something inside of you or it is just another old car.

Start by looking at tons of magazines and on line until one really grabs you. Then start researching how it was built and how you can build one of your own.

I've bought cars over the years just because they were available and old, and later on sold them because I just couldn't get excited about actually driving and owning them.

Don

first

If you look at a car and can visualize it looking cool, down low, patina. Then build it![dr

Clean paper work is VERY important with a rat rod.
I spent 6 months trying to straighten it out, AND I had a title!!!
A pickup truck is an "easy" first time rat, you can start by modifing the cab , Then look for the engine, frame, bed and suspension.

The better car you start with, the better car you will have when it's done and with less work. The best cheapest cab is usually an old 1 1/2-2 ton farm truck. Can you weld and do you have a place to do fab work? If not then you should find something post war that is already close to being a driver.

Also think about this. Most cars end up getting sold at some point so I always advise to build something that you can get a decent return on. For example, it takes just as much money to fix up a 4 door, maybe more, and they are generally worth a small fraction of what a 2 door or coupe is worth when finished.

Latest posts

Back