Fly by wire!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
Looks like Lexus & Tesla are set to start producing cars with steering by wire! I know planes have been using it for years but that ain't gonna happen for the Ol Tripper! :eek:[ddd

BoB

Looks like Lexus & Tesla are set to start producing cars with steering by wire! I know planes have been using it for years but that ain't gonna happen for the Ol Tripper! :eek:[ddd

BoB

Drive by wire, but we can't run hydraulic steering trucks on the road??!!??!!

Nope. Ain’t gonna drive one. Don’t want one. I’ve see too many problems with electronics and electrical stuff to risk my life to it. No steering by wire, no brake by wire. Nope. Ain’t gonna do it….

The commercial where the two people are clapping their hands while the vehicle drives down the road creeps me out.

The commercial where the two people are clapping their hands while the vehicle drives down the road creeps me out.

What creeps me more is in the same commercial where the truck or car whatever it is passes another bobtail truck by itself! Talk about potential for a head on collision!:eek::eek::eek:

What creeps me more is in the same commercial where the truck or car whatever it is passes another bobtail truck by itself! Talk about potential for a head on collision!:eek::eek::eek:

Natural selection I believe

Each and every one of us has his or her reasons for building a vehicle. Not everybody wants shiny paint. Not everybody wants all the bells and whistles. Some just want workable. My vision when I started was "simple"! I wanted the features that are required to operate it safely and enough zippity doo da to feed the speed demon inside. There's not a whole lot extra in any direction. Manual everything. What a pleasure it is to keep it going. Handles flawlessly and so easy to work on anything that might fail(has not been alot of that). Let me see, drive by wire, sounds simple until you start counting up all the things necessary to make it work. I'm not a fan of self-driving trucks or cars. Is the lawsuit following a highway death going to be going after the driver forced by his company to drive a vehicle with "drive by wire" or is it going to go after the manufacturer. Knowing our system, which is a "legal" system, not a "justice" system, the lawyers will proceed in both...

Each and every one of us has his or her reasons for building a vehicle. Not everybody wants shiny paint. Not everybody wants all the bells and whistles. Some just want workable. My vision when I started was "simple"! I wanted the features that are required to operate it safely and enough zippity doo da to feed the speed demon inside. There's not a whole lot extra in any direction. Manual everything. What a pleasure it is to keep it going. Handles flawlessly and so easy to work on anything that might fail(has not been alot of that). Let me see, drive by wire, sounds simple until you start counting up all the things necessary to make it work. I'm not a fan of self-driving trucks or cars. Is the lawsuit following a highway death going to be going after the driver forced by his company to drive a vehicle with "drive by wire" or is it going to go after the manufacturer. Knowing our system, which is a "legal" system, not a "justice" system, the lawyers will proceed in both...

My colleagues at work do accident reconstruction here in Canada, which includes going to court as expert witnesses regarding who was at fault. We've spoke about this at work. When cases like this inevitably occur in the direction we seem to be going, the outcome will be anyone's guess. It's interesting for sure, but I wouldn't want to be in the mix.

Any of my drive by wire vehicles for the throttle have a delay from when you hit the gas till something big happens. Especially in large movements. If power cuts it's also not such a big deal because you can still stop and steer. Drive by wire steering seems much more dangerous in a road situation because it takes away a mechanical fail-safe and there could be less immediate response by the vehicle when you need to avoid something quickly. Unless it's already supposed to be doing that for you.

And some entity, somewhere else, electronically watching, can decide you are driving too fast, too far or exceeded your maximum allowably weekly mileage, and take control. After you lose control of your stuff, what's next?

And some entity, somewhere else, electronically watching, can decide you are driving too fast, too far or exceeded your maximum allowably weekly mileage, and take control. After you lose control of your stuff, what's next?

Oh, you bet that’s coming, especially with EV’s. They already have internet access and do over the air upgrades, you can bet some are already having to hold themselves to keep from having panic attacks at the thoughts of what’s possible. Insurance companies will probably be the first, followed by the safety nazis. Some of the big trucking companies already have satellite hookups with their trucks, they can see right now how fast they are going and monitor the drivers as well as send messages to slow down or whatever. Another reason I’m glad I’m retired!

how about sealing a vehicle without being anywhere near it...?

I think we`re getting close to the point where actual door keys , hand choke and a manual gearbox are the best theft protection... :D

I drove a newer Mercedes a couple years back and believe the gas pedal was by wire. It seemed disconnected from my foot. It didn't seem like I was in 100% control. Jim

Semi trucks have been drive by wire for years now. Detroit Diesel was the first with the Series 60 engines to have wired accelerator pedals, no mechanical connection at all.

My so has a 2009 Dodge Charger. Its drive by wire, no mechanical connection between the pedal and the throttle.

My sister has a 2014 Chevy Malibu, it has electric steering. No mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the gear box, as I understand.

All my stuff has mechanical linkage, and I intend to keep it that way. I like the EFI and the electronic ignitions, but I still have stuff here I can convert back to points and carbs. As long as I can get fuel to burn, I'm going to have transportation.

My so has a 2009 Dodge Charger. Its drive by wire, no mechanical connection between the pedal and the throttle.

My sister has a 2014 Chevy Malibu, it has electric steering. No mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the gear box, as I understand.

All my stuff has mechanical linkage, and I intend to keep it that way. I like the EFI and the electronic ignitions, but I still have stuff here I can convert back to points and carbs. As long as I can get fuel to burn, I'm going to have transportation.

The Malibu still has a mechanical steering shaft, the electric is the steering assist.

Latest posts

Back