FREE!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rust in the cylinder of a SBC is not uncommon, probably had the valve open on that one.
Just do as suggested and try turning it by hand every day or two.
Pops is a good guy and good luck with it.

I would soak all the cylinder's and try to turn it once a day. Very nice score! I love to see you get something so solid. Sometimes good stuff happens when you are in need of it in the worst way. Good luck!

Use a breaker bar and rock the enging back and forth until it turns compelety over. With the plugs out crank it over with the starter a few revolutions at a time then put the plugs back in and once you've checked the oil and cleaned the carb up it should start right up.

I would check the numbers on that engine, from the looks of the balancer, aluminum water pump and chrome timing cover it may be a pretty good 327 with a few goodies in it.

Old engine

Marvel Mystery Oil is great stuff but if it doesn't break it loose, try squirting some kerosene in each cylinder. Then do as suggested turning it by hand. I was given a 5.0 HO that was stuck. Marvel and kerosene unstuck it! Be sure and drain and refill the crankcase with new oil before you start it.

I was told it is a 68 327 dont know anything about it yet.. My friend said it was a real power house with tons to spare. Found out just a few minutes ago it was parked due to gas mileage. last driven on the street June 1994. Last started and run summer of 2009 when there new garage was built. Dont know any thing much about the trans but they think it is a power glide. Time will tell...

Thanks for all the tips i will get some kero tomorrow and run some into each cylinder along with the marvel oil i put in.

Thanks

52 fordman

don't forget the breaker bar and a deep socket..i'd try it and see if it'll turn..looks like a solis project..congrats

Tim

Wheels and tires

Okay as of today it has fresh (used) tires and wheels new plugs wires and battery. The motor turns over real good, thanks everyone. Now the bad for the day. We got every thing ready oil gas ect.. went to start it..... no spark have fire at the points good rotor and cap new wires and plugs. so thinking its the coil. Not bad but just as we were going to close the hood Joe says hey there is SMOKE coming from the side of the motor by the starter! By the time we got the Neg cable off lots of stuff melted. Looks to me like its the wires from the starter to the fuse box or resister to dist. Didnt hurt the new starter we think and now we have no power to lights horn ect.. Thinking about a new wire harness complete. Any one know of one that will work with all the stock switches and turn signals??

So we called it a day and went to the cruise in for a look see of the local cars.

52 fordman

RUST NEVER SLEEPS

See if there is a pinched wire between the block and trans, or starter and block. Sure won't be the first time that happened. Would explain the no spark, (short) and also the smoke! (short) Mice have a tendency to chew the insulation off wires as well, might be worth a look. (Another source of a short.) If it's down by the starter, could be a fusible link that smoked, they look like a 6 or 8 inch piece of wire that has been factory spliced onto the end of the wire, or wires, at the positive stud of the starter where the positive cable goes. Just some ideas.

Cool truck but now you have to change your site name? LOL...
New wiring kit is a very good idea. Check out Rebel wires 8 circuit kit, it;s all you need for basic wires and priced reasonable. Probably be a good idea to use some new switches particularily ignition and lights cuz old corroded switches will give you fits.
Sorry to hear about lifes problems but knew you'd get it together. May see you the Oct. for Charlotte show...:D

http://rebelwire.com/rebel-wire-products.php?cat=Wire Kits

You just need to fix what burnt, I would suggest find someone local that knows the old chevy stuff to look at it for you.
That's what I'd do too.
On the older Chevy's, there's two small wires, purple one hooks to the S (solenoid) stud on the starter it goes to the neutral safety switch on the steering column and then to the ignition switch.
The other small wire, on the starter solenoid, is a coil resister bypass for cold weather starts on the old vehicles with a coil and gives the coil a full twelve volts for that purpose.
When the engine starts and the key is released, the ignition switch runs power through the resister to keep from burning the points up.
Hope that helps

Jim

Rats!

Well the rats and mice really did a number on the wires. We got the truck home today and cleaned up a little better under the hood to check out the wiring better. Wow what a mess! chewed broken bare and wires with just no place to go but hang out. I am lucky we didnt burn the thing down.
I went to several different sites and copied some wire diagrams for a 66. they looked the same but one was for a alt verus gen. and 6 cy and v8. but the same otherwise. Tomorrow i will print them at work ( they have a color printer and its free) then start cutting one replacing with new wire and ends. Have to get some more colored wire .
Will get better pics up soon, our girl has the camera at her dorm room.

Thanks every one

52 fordman

Latest posts

Back