front spring ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shockley_67

trying to figure out the amount of my front "Z" i am going to build into my chassis i am building to get the ride hieght i am after. i have a 4" dropped I beam kit with a multi leaf front spring that speedway sells in thier kit and i need to know how much i can expect it to compress when i get wieght on it. my truck is a 41 ford and is going to be fenderless with typical sbc and auto trans. i understand the whole build it with wood first thing and am planning that but it would help to know how much i can expect the spring to settle.
thanks in advance.
Scott.

ok lets try this another way. can someone with a fenderless p/u with a sbc and spring over front end measure the ride height at the frame then give me your tire diameter and drop of front axel i will do the math from there.
scott.

The spring is going to compress until the shackles are at approximately 45 degrees. You can accomplish this with a couple large C-clamps to get close for mock-up.

it was suggested that i reword my question here to try and get a more accurate measurement to my question so i will do my best here.
i am using a dropped i-beam axel with a reversed eye spring and it will be mounted spring over. it will be in a fenderless rod with a sbc. can someone with something close to the same setup please measure from the bottom of your axel to the top of the spring where it will mount to the crossmember while its loaded and let me know what the measurement is so i can get going on figuring out my chassis mocup.
thank you
scott..

He is trying to get an idea of frame to ground height I gather.... Just a starting point to work from I imagine...

I know. If you have the front end assembled with the wheels and tires you will be using and the spring properly compressed, then the height at the top of the spring pack will be the height of the bottom of your spring perch. Easy enough...

I know. If you have the front end assembled with the wheels and tires you will be using and the spring properly compressed, then the height at the top of the spring pack will be the height of the bottom of your spring perch. Easy enough...

I completely agree, I'm assuming he is missing pieces yet, like maybe wheel/tire but yea you would think calculating that height would not be all that difficult. Maye we are both missing what hes after? [S[S

I have a super bell 4" dropped front axle with a reversed eye spring . With 800 lbs of weight on the front frame , it is 5 1/2 inches from the bottom of the axle to the top of the spring . My shackles are at a perfect 45 degree angle . With my new Bilstein shocks , it rides very well .

Last edited:
I have a super bell 4" dropped front axle with a reversed eye spring . With 800 lbs of weight on the front frame , it is 51/2 inches from the bottom of the axle to the top of the spring . My shackles are at a perfect 45 degree angle . With my new Bilstein shocks , it rides very well .

IAM-LDS-2 thank you, that is what i was looking for. is your spring a mono leaf or multi leaf?
thanks
scott

Latest posts

Back