Gardening

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
Any other gardeners here? I grow all mine chemical free.
Trying to get my garden in. Got spuds planted last week, much downsized from last year. I put in 4 rows about 60 feet long, should make 250# I suppose. Also a couple short rows of radish and swiss chard. Yesterday I got my onion plants in, one row about 90 feet long, same patch also a row of carrots and a row of bush beans. Hopefully today I can get in the rutabagas, beets, squash, cucumbers, some ornamental gourds and watermelons. Probably go look at some tomatoes and pepper plants this week too. I usually do about a dozen pepper plants and 20-25 tomato plants. We also planted 4 apple trees and 3 plum trees and have 10 buffalo berry bushes to get in. I really need to get some fence up to keep out the chickens and deer.

I moved to a wooded area last fall. This will be my first year without a garden in a long time! Judging from the size of yours it should keep you busy!:D

..... Got spuds planted last week, much downsized from last year. I put in 4 rows about 60 feet long, should make 250# I suppose......

That's a lot of 'taters!!! Are you making Vodka? :D

I've got a black cherry tree that gives me 1/2 bushell of cherrys. My shade trees grew up too well so I only have a small space these days. I put in several types of chili peppers and trade neighbors for tomatos, peppers, squash etc.

I grow organic too. We compost all year. I get about 12 cu. yrds. a year. More than enough for my property.

I do put in a good sized patch of sunflowers, mostly to block the dog's view from the kennel runs, keeps then quiet. I take a few seed heads for the next season, let the birds have the rest.

I really need to get some fence up to keep out the chickens and deer.

Years ago I lived in Austin out in the country where the houses were on 2-5 acre tracts but most of the homes were up close to the road. This is deer country plain & simple! Anyway... a wealthy real estate developer from Calif move in to the neighborhood & built a really nice house & proceeded to put in over $50K of regular neighborhood type landscaping (back in the 80's that was a *lot* of $$$). We warned him about the deer but he claimed to have a spray that would keep them away. Fast forward about a week... the deer ate *all* of his landscaping during the nights. After that he planted native plants like the rest of us! He never lived it down... ummm... we made sure of it!!! :eek:[ddd:eek:

That's a lot of 'taters!!! Are you making Vodka? :D

What he said!?!

BoB

Got a good size garden. I have done it chemically free for that last 30yrs or so. I also started doing the planting by moon phase. Seems to work, or maybe its just voodoo.

Last year I harvested over 1000# of spuds, had a restaurant that said they would take them but then they renigged. I give most of the stuff away. I do can tomatoes, beets, beet pickles and salsa.
I have never planted by moon signs but I believe in it. Most of the ranchers know that you castrate by the moon sign and have no bleeding, ignore it and have problems. Good Friday is supposed to be the day you plant potatoes but we have had snow on the ground the last 3 years.

We do a small garden. This year we bought a HF 6x8 green house. Worked great, and this was a good year for it.

It'll probably only last for 2-3 years, but that's OK. Then I'll just go build one myself.

yeah, I've been planting nearly the entire front yard as a garden for the past four years, the neighbors LOVE it [ddd "heh, heh, heh!! This year I've planted radish, turnip, spinach, okra, squash, corn, beans, cukes, tomatoes, peppers, potaotes, carrots, dill, rosemary, and more.I too grow organic. The money I save on veggies gets spent on the recycled steel. Now thats going green!;)

my father inlaw puts one in every year. we sure have had a good year for polksalad, but i haven't had any dandy lion greens sence i was a kid, talked to the wife about em and she said if i wanted some i had to do it myself, so much for country cooking. glad yalls gardens are on there way and i hope they produce more the you need. i'll be in my father inlaws about everyday. before you ask no i'm not from alabama i'm from texas, we know country there too.

I used to raise a pretty decent garden with new taters, pole beans, squashes, okra and sweet corn when I lived closer to the Gulf Coast. However, now that I'm in "critter country" with deer, coons and the likes about all I manage to raise until picking time is maters. This year I only have 3 mater plants (heirloom, bigboy and cherokee purple) and they are all 3 in large containers sitting on a garden cart so maybe I can get to taste a few before bambi and rocky get to them.[dr

mercy, its already so hot ( think 90's) and dry here. Hope its not like last year, I had to water constantly. Looks like I'll be at it this evening. Oh well, whats a guy to do, but grin and bear it.

Everything we seeded in the greenhouse survived the transplant even though (like last year) a day after we planted a huge storm with high winds came through. Only thing that didn't grow from seed were the habaneros. Had go out and buy a couple. I think the greenhouse was too jungle for them. So far so good.

BTW, to keep this rat rod related, the garden is where I park my F100 during the winter. :p

Latest posts

Back