gas tank

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldrodder43

OK guyz, has anyone here rebuilt a compressor air tank into a gas tank? I have a 15 gallon tank from a Craftsman compressor, and I'd like to use it for my gas tank, but need ideas on gauge sender, fill, vent, pickup, etc. If anyone has done one such, please reply. perley

I think you'll have to somehow clean out all the rust on this inside & seal it first. Those old compressor tanks seem to rust pretty badly on the inside due to all the constant moisture.

You can cut it in half, sandblast it and reweld it. I use a natural fiber shaft for a gas gauge. In other words, a wood stick. You can get a gas tank filler tube and vented cap off a junkyard tank and weld/braze it on. A 1/4" or 3/8" steel pipe coupling can be welded/brazed for a fuel line outlet.

The last few time I tried to braze new brass fittings to something it didn't work. I think they have rice or soy sauce in the metal.

If you're gonna line that tank, the very best stuff on the market is called " Red Kote". That is what the guys at the radiator shops use when they line fuel tanks. It is very thick , and works very well on fuel tanks. I keep a gallon of the stuff for my business. I will also say that I have used "Kreme", and it is not as good as Red Kote. I have had the Kreme come loose before. With any lining, you really have to make sure that the tank is clean and very dry before you line it. Hope that helps.If it were me , I would cut it in half buff the rust off and not line it at all. Most manufacturers have gottne away from lining fuel tanks because of the new fuels on the market these days.

I am running a compressor tank. My filler is a piece of pipe with a pipe cap. My vent is a brass valve screwed into the relief valve opening.

I took a piece of rectangular tube and cut it into a wedge. I then drilled 4 large holes in the bottom of the tank, er side I guess since it is now horizontal.

I then placed a cap on one end of that wedge shaped tube and drilled a hole in the side at the bottom of the wedge.

I then took a pice of 1/2 black pie and welded it into said hole.

I then took a 90 and screwed it to the end of the pipe.

I then put a hose barb fitting into the 90 and ran a short piece of rubber fuel line to my filter.

Course I welded that wedge to the bottom of the tank to cover the holes.

The purpose of this was to ensure I always had fuel at the pickup location, i.e. when running low and fuel is sloshing it won't slosh away from the pickup.

And the holes in the bottom made it really easy to clean out.

I should have taken some photos I guess. It works well with no leaks.

Me too

I'm looking at 150 for a new 16 gallon tank and almost 400 bucks for a 30 gallon tank for my 76 ford pickup

I hate to think of the cost for lining a 30 gallon tank
it would be far cheaper to have the tank electro plated with zinc
trying to plate rusty metal?
Just use a brand new air tank they are so incredibly cheap

I had the same Idea too I was originally going to cut the ends off and weld 2 tanks end to end but decided on this

Split the tank in half lengthwise and use each half as the rounded end of a large rectangle

using some 1/8" flat plate for top and bottom with a little curve massaged into the side panels to match the arc of the tank caps...
Should give me a 30 gallon tank to fit up in the frame rails behind the axle

I read alot of stuff on the net about raw steel tanks and alot of fellas wrote that their home made naked tanks still are nice and steely inside. they say don;t let them sit empty for a long time and they won't rust.
I had the perfect galvanized tank in my 71 firebird get all rust with a little gas in it.
it sat for 15 years with leaded gas in the tank and the tank was perfect. then I got the thing running and 3 winters inside ate up the zinc and turned my filters rusty.

I'm pretty sure it was the alcohol in the blended fuels containing moisture which evaporated and condensed on the inside of the tank while in storage. A pint of marvels mystery oil probably would have sufficiently oiled the zinc and prevented it from eroding

Thanks very kindly to all of you who replied. And thanks to those who wrote in detail about steps you have taken. I have taken it all in and now feel like leaving the air tank an air tank, and look around for a used take-out gas tank for a gas tank!!!!
Again, I appreciate the input and honest comments. perley

Thanks very kindly to all of you who replied. And thanks to those who wrote in detail about steps you have taken. I have taken it all in and now feel like leaving the air tank an air tank, and look around for a used take-out gas tank for a gas tank!!!!
Again, I appreciate the input and honest comments. perley

where are you located?

Gas tank.

You need to hit a few swapmeets,you'll find one already done and preferably aluminum,not metal with all that lining crap.Bought one at swapmeet yesterday for $75 with guage,filler tube,nice vented cap made out of 31 model a cap,has drain plug annd treaded bung for fuel outlet. Keep looking. Can't believe why anyone would want to cut a tank in half ,then weld it back together,just because of the cost and availabilty of tanks. Good luck on your hunt.:cool:

Thanks Crossfire but swap meets in my part of the world are scarce to non-existent! That is a good idea though. Right now I'm leaning toward a fuel cell from Speedway. BUT, never know. perley

Get on one of the VW sites and find a used spun aluminum tank off a dunebuggy. OR Im thinking about finding a propane tank like off a forklift and capping it up then add fuel bung and filler. The keg thing is kinda wore out.

I used an air compresser for fuel tank. It was easy to clean out. I used a 3' piece of throttle cable from a lawn mower. Put one end in a drill, put other end in the tank and turn it on. Move it in and out, working it around. took 20 min. Then i flushed it with gas a few times.

Attachments

• semi rat 009.jpg
    semi rat 009.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I found an aluminum boat tank at a boat salvage [15 galllon] that was cheaper than a new poly. works great although I have mine hidden under a seat in a 29 sedan. just a thought

If you're not planning on making it a feature of the vehicle, I would go fuel cell!! MY 2 penny's!!

I agree with Rainman. I bought a 22 gallon aluminum fuel cell off of Craigslist for $60. It was out of a jet boat and came with a sending unit. I see poly cells on Craigslist pretty often for so I cheap I feel like should buy them even though I don't need one. They are out there. Good luck!

Got this old equipment tank for free from a scrap yard, came with filler tube, pick up (which was plug as you can see by the roadside repair) and sending unit

056ayj.jpg

Eventually finished it off to look like a trunk...

122bez.jpg

Latest posts

Back