Gates

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowbudget50

Creators of all things awesome
Im my effort to keep unwanted thieves off my property i put a split rail vedar fence out by the road. Then we decided ates would be a good idea. In true fashion of over complicating things i wanted to build gates. Have to put a rusty twist on things!
I started with 2x4 tubing and it went down hill from there. Picked up some old corrugated tin. I built the frames then weathered them with a mix o vinegar, hydrogen peroxide nd salt. Ive used this on some of my tot rod wagons i have built. Over noght the metal has a cool patina, pair that with the tin and weve got a cool gate. Still have one to do this week. I will also be illuminating them with some led tape we use at work for under Cabinet lighting. It will be under the bottom rail shining down at the ground. Should look cool. Ill get pics of them when there all done.

I built a sturdy gate as well but also put up fake video cameras that have the red flashing light, no problems since!

Toad

I put up real cameras lol. Wifes request. Small and wites 1080 video. Work good. Hope we never use them

Maybe but I bet they still sag in time. That much weight will drift the concrete through the earth. I've built and hung a lot of heavy gates on Buffalo pens and the only way we could keep them level was with high posts and a cross brace. All built from oil field heavy pipe, 2 3/8 and 2 7/8 posts. And those were just 12 foot gates. If you have nice level ground, you can put a wheel on them. Pita in snow though.

I have a 2 sets of old oliver tractor cast wheel weight. I was thinkin bout usin them to anchor back to and use some old turn buckles to pull back at a 45° angle on the main posts

I have a 2 sets of old oliver tractor cast wheel weight. I was thinkin bout usin them to anchor back to and use some old turn buckles to pull back at a 45° angle on the main posts

That would probably work good. It seems you always need a triangle in there somewhere to hold things straight. And with the adjustment, you could keep the gate leveled up as things settle. Most of what I've learned was from doing it wrong or fixing things someone else could have done better,lol.

Excellent work on the gate!

I'm a bit confused here [S 'splain to me how a split rail fence is going to keep evil doers of your property? Ummmm… can't they just go through the rails???
;)

Excellent work on the gate!

I'm a bit confused here [S 'splain to me how a split rail fence is going to keep evil doers of your property? Ummmm… can't they just go through the rails???
;)

In washington state, if the evil retards have to cross a fence they cannot claim the didnt know they where trespassing. So thebhome owner can defent his or her property;)

I set both gates today, but only left the one up we wont use as much. Got the latch all on and my lighting up.

Latest posts

Back