Getting closer to my first build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't want to sound like a smart a_ _ or anything, so please don't
take this the wrong way BUT!! I think you need to find some car, (rat)
guy's to hang around and learn a little more about what you like, dislike,
and what it takes to put a car together!!
While I admire your willingness to jump in with both feet, you don't really
seem to know exactly what you want!! Hit the shows look, look, and then
look some more! Eventually you'll figure out what it is you have to build!

Like I said, I'm not trying to kill your dreams, just trying to keep you from
starting a build thats doomed to fail! BTW running you're thoughts by these guy's isn't a bad idea you can get a lot of info that way!!
Good Luck!!

By no means were you wrong, I truly appreciate all the info and opinions I get being that the majority of you guys have been in this kind of rodding a long time, I'm a young guy relatively (23) who has a thirst being I sold my hot rod (830rwhp gt500) and want to get into something more unique. The look that I tend to lust after is more of a post apocalyptic type deal which is why the COE has appealed to me consistently over all the other types of rats. I love the rat culture and try to get every taste of it that I can but sadly there is not very much of a rat culture around this part of PA so I'm stuck mostly stumbling and wandering through what I can find.

In all seriousness my dream truck would be a wild looking COE but I'm also aware of my limitations and don't want to get myself into a position like I did with my s10, we were one of the first to try an ls2 swap into an s10 and the result... 7 years later it now runs but is very rough and I don't want to get into a situation where I'm over my head again is all as well as trying to find the very specific COE I want is not going to be easy

Last edited:
What is rat culture? Really, I'm not sure I know, don't have it around here I don't think

I dint have guys that build traditional rods right out of the garage or driveway, that are a part of building anything out of the box or unique or strange 99% of all the cars at all the shows anywhere around me don't even have your basic big tire t bucket, most of the stuff is restored or new age bolt on fuel injected cars like what I was a part of, if I see a truck or car even I'm lucky to see it's chopped or having rust on it I really don't get to see "kustoms"

There is a Rat culture WB, and its strong around here!! Mostly young, and not really my cup of tea, but I love their cars!
I guess I'm not understanding why a COE would be any different to build than any other rod? Same principles aply, whatever type build you plan! I like the idea of building a COE and will some day, but I'll admit to haveing no knowledge of diesel engines, and don't really want to! What your talking about seems very doable, I say go for it!! You might want to find a body quick, they seem to be getting very popular!

There is a Rat culture WB, and its strong around here!! Mostly young, and not really my cup of tea, but I love their cars!
I guess I'm not understanding why a COE would be any different to build than any other rod? Same principles aply, whatever type build you plan! I like the idea of building a COE and will some day, but I'll admit to haveing no knowledge of diesel engines, and don't really want to! What your talking about seems very doable, I say go for it!! You might want to find a body quick, they seem to be getting very popular!

My biggest fight would be more how the front suspension works, I have no clue if it's any different, if it's not major fab to make it ride on say an IFS with bags then I'm pretty confident. My friend is a professional welder, so I guess if worst came to worst I could have him lend a hand, I'm just apprehensive I guess. As far as diesel tech goes I'm covered lol no worries there!

I dint have guys that build traditional rods right out of the garage or driveway, that are a part of building anything out of the box or unique or strange 99% of all the cars at all the shows anywhere around me don't even have your basic big tire t bucket, most of the stuff is restored or new age bolt on fuel injected cars like what I was a part of, if I see a truck or car even I'm lucky to see it's chopped or having rust on it I really don't get to see "kustoms"

If I knew anything at all, I knew less after reading that.

:confused: not sure what else can be said, we don't have traditional hot rod guys who build unique rods other than straight up hot rod/custom car shops, no one around here builds low dollar homegrown rods, I don't have rat rod shows to go to and learn in person about how they do specific things...
If I knew anything at all, I knew less after reading that.

hello i am rather new to the rat rods rule page and kinda green to rat rods myself i still dnt have the rod of my dreams and i dnt even have the cab or body that i want on a different note i do have a rod project going all though its not what i want its what i got my hands on for next to nothing i wanna build it up and when my boy gets old enough let him rebuild it the way he wants there is no better way to learn then by advice and experiments find out what works and roll with it every builder is different some with money some without everybody wants something unique and different and here on this site you will find nothing but good ideas and tips search the site and builds learn how to dos and everything to help you a coe is basically the same just do it how u want if it needs fixed or changed dnt get discouraged there are plenty of advice givers here just post and wait for replies

Latest posts

Back