Great grandpas car...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtRatsSpeedShop

ok im gonna start off with a little history. so i dont know the make, model or year of this car my grandpa doesnt even know but this kar is still parked in a junk yard since 1955 (along with tons of tin) :) in alabama. my great grandpa was on his way to work when he hit a deer turned around to take it home when a drunk driver hit him and he eventualy died in this car. so i want this car just for personal reasons. i dont like the fact that it is just rotting away in a junkyard... so what should i do? take it home and try to restore it? leave it how it is? im not sure if i wanna cut it up yet. im thinkin with my family being poor it was not a new 55 210 sedan more like late 30's or 40's built well (he hit a deer and was DRIVING it back home) so i go up there in the begining of jan (with a trailer) to pick up the car and a body for my project (hopefully) so i will post pics and more info when i get it what do you guys think?

It is a little strange, but you never new him, and you do know the history of the car. So, does the car have damage or was he hit as a pedestrian, and then died in the car?
Curious to know what kind of car it is.

I would say a decision on what to do with it would depend on it's current condition. A complete restoration may be all but impossible without having to replace every part on the car. On the other hand, you may be able to make a solid driver out of it without cutting it up. It's hard to say without seeing it.

I have seen alot of cars sitting in scrap yards that have no business being there. Some people would rather get a new car rather than replace a fender or grill. I am going to guess that since this is a "death car" your great grandmother couldn't stand the sight of it and it ended up in the junk yard. My father once told me a story about a '71 Challenger that got T-boned and the driver died. They sent it to the yard where it sat untill the crusher came to town. According to my dad the car was that lime green color with black rally stripes, and it only needed a new driver door, rocker, and some body work on the rear quarter. Once again, back then these cars were not as desirable as they are today.

You really do need to get us pictures though.

ya i figured i would take it up with my grandpa, i talked to him and he said it would be ok if i got it, so thats out of the way... so be patient you guys i am "chomping at the bit" right now to see it so trust me when i get/see it i will be more than glad to show you guys along with the body i hope to get

unless its somthing rare or weird i would make it drivable whatever that may entail engine swap or whatever then go from there resortaions on these years can be tuff when it comes to parts especially if its somthing not a lot pepole want to mess with. and theres a lot in those years that are awsome but just havent come into there own yet.

but if there is sentimental value in it, it might be worth it to you

If its worth it to you then do it.
My grand father had a feed grinding business back in the 50s and had a couple Diamond Ts that ended up in the local scrap yard. I remember seeing our family name on the doors when me and my dad would walk around in the yard as he was looking for parts. They were gone before I was old enough to realize I wanted them. I would like to some day build a replica of one of those trucks.

Latest posts

Back