Hairpins and dive

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72corv3tt3

I am about ready to install the hairpins for my front suspension. What I am wondering is what angle to install them at. Originally I was thinking on just installing them so they would be roughly horizontal. But I started thinking about dive under braking and was wondering what is the best way to install them to minimize dive? Would inclined or declined be better?

What's the application????

The application is the front suspension of the 37 international pickup I am building.

You need to be more concerned about the caster on your axle not the angle of your hairpins. Axle caster should be tilted back 5* to 7* measured at the kingpin.

Yes I realize this but doesn't caster have more to do with steering effort/ stability at speed. When I installed my front crossmember I rotated 7 degrees. While, to some degree, the angle in which you install the hairpins does set the caster you have some leeway with the how far the top and bottom clevises are threaded in/out. Or in their is an optimum way in which to install them you could shorten one leg of the hairpin.

They way I am looking at this is that a four link rear
suspension, the instantaneous center determines the amount of antisquat. What I was thinking is that something like this would have an effect on how the front suspension would react under braking conditions.

Latest posts

Back