Header Wrap - Anyone use it

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod Jim

I'm thinking of using Thermal Header Wrap (titanium color) on my roadster headers, wrap the pipe from heads to collector... I was wondering if I need to use any clamps at the ends or do the ends get tucked under... Do I have to worry about it un-wrapping... I want to use it more for appearance than for function...

there are metal clamps you need to buy. when you start wrapping you dont have to clamp anything but at the end the metal clip works kinda like a zip tie, but you just bend tip and clip off the excess. When i used it, it heated up and smoked a bit and then it turned a darker color after a while. and they wont come unraveled if you use the metal clamps.

the ties are ss and will hold just fine but get them tight.... there is also hi-temp spray paint that adds an extra coating and once it gets hot it cures to a hard coating, that will help keep it from fraying.... I use it on every motor I build with headers... keeps heat out of the box and away from starters and whatknot. helps motors run cooler they say.. I think it looks hot and I do belive it directs heat out the end of the pipes.. It sure is a pain in the ass to put on though... lol

sly

I hate to say it, but every time I used it, it caused my pipes to rot out. I have used it on racecars and it was just fine, but every daily driver I put it on, it caused the pipes to rust out to the point of blowing holes through. I began fabbing up aluminum heat sheilds for starters. It looks cool, but I just got tired of replacing headers. Maybe some other people have had better luck.

Latest posts

Back