Hello from Kentucky

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batwood

I was looking on the internet for "59 chevy rat rods" and found your forum. I figured I can learn some things and get suggestions for my project. I have a 1959 Chevy Apache big window stepside pickup. My Dad has too many projects and was getting rid of it before I stepped in. It does not run. The engine is a 235 6cyl. and 3 speed on column shift. The truck came with an extra 6cyl. hooked to a powerglide that I believe is a car engine. I read somewhere that trucks had solid lifters and cars had hydraulic lifters, I don't really know. There was also a '55 or '56 Olds rocket hooked to an automatic trans that came with it. All this came from a barn in northern Indiana when a friend of my Dads bought an old house. He is a Ford guy and didn't want it so he gave it to my Dad. Couple years later I got it from my Dad for the same price, FREE. I don't think it has been licensed since the early 70's. No title, I have to call with the vin and have them run a check. If I can't get a title I may sell it for parts. I work at the Ford truck plant where we build the Super Duty F series, so the banner ad up top is appropriate. I am married (10 years in may) to a wonderful woman and have two daughters, one graduating high school. Nice to be on this board, Thank you. Brian

Welcome to RRR, from E-Town, Brian. Can't beat the price of the Apache and other stuff. An Olds Rocket in that truck would be interesting & different. How about some pics of that Apache ????

pics

Here are some pics from a few years ago, it pretty much looks the same except I brought the fender and headlight rings home. Truck is in Iowa.

Attachments

• this is what I started from, 59 apache.jpg
    this is what I started from, 59 apache.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 27
  • passenger side, 59 apache.jpg
    passenger side, 59 apache.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 59 apache.jpg
    59 apache.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 23
  • rusty corners.JPG
    rusty corners.JPG
    206.3 KB · Views: 24
59 apache

Yeah guys and gals, I would love to fix the truck up. I need to get to get some things straightened out first though. I have a daughter going to college this year and I just don't have any extra cash. I do have a few issues with the truck build though. I am about 6' 5'' and I don't have much leg room for the clutch pedal (long legs). I was thinking of an automatic trans, and the rocket eng. has one attached. I thought of building the six with Clifford stuff and running an auto on it, but like I said I have many eng/trans options. I also possibly have a 79 impala to use parts off, (eng/trans/rearend/tilt column,etc). What about losing the tank and getting one under the bed, ( I am going to run all kinds of stuff by you guys). So many questions. I plan on going to the beatersville show on Sunday and get some ideas. Sorry for the load of stuff man. Thanks for any feed back.

welcome to the forum! the apache is a good looking truck IMO-

looks like you have enuf of one to build a "budget beater" ratrod [cl

i'd probably stash the olds rocket for a build up when funds became available and use the impala parts to put the truck on the road for now

and yes on the tank--move that thing outta the cab-put it in the bed or under it --but get it outta the way for that extra leg room...:D

If you havn't been to Beatersville you'll love it I recommend you take a video camera or rgular camera and take close ups of what you like . Document everything.

What to do?

Hey everybody, sorry for the delay in writing. I don't really know what to do with the truck. I want something that I can drive right now and work on. This truck needs a lot of work. I have never restored a vehicle, just general stuff on the cars I have (ok I replaced a rear axle on the mini van). From the little time I was able to spend in Iowa, I pretty much put the fender and door back on so it would all be together if I decide to sell it. I don't have a garage and no place to take it apart. I guess I could just leave it out at Dads until I can do something or sell/trade it but I don't know how long that may be. The truck is in Ottumwa Iowa. It may be outside (covered) now I don't know. Anybody have ideas?

As long as it's not picking up road salt, Iowa winters aren't too ruff on cars. From March on will be the worst if it's sank in the weeds.

My suggestion is get it to Ky by spring and get on the drivetrain. The body looks ready to go! Maybe throw a patch on the drivers side floor (I assume there is a big hole there - typical Iowa rust out) - you'll be good while you work on the rest. Why do you need a garage in Ky? :p

Latest posts

Back