help me learn about v8s

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drowzysleeper

hi guys im new here ive always wrked on hondas so im not familiar with all the v8s. so pleeeaase help learn the lingo and figure out what motor i want for my build when i start it. any links would be graet. tia

lol i know that do they cover all the really old ones? thing is wifes is the only one wrking at the time so i dnt have any money that isnt already spent thanx tho

what is the brand of car you are working on, it would hlp since there are so many old style engines. Way too much to give any real help

i havnt got one yet i was just tryin to get a grasp on old engines, maybe even help me decide on a vehicle bassed on engine alone. im wanting a early 50s chevy car

dude you're being to vague on what you wanna know!! I mean do you wanna know about flatties , hemi, rat engine, I mean you kinda have to give a direction to go! lol

If your looking for a 50's Chevy ....decide how much power you want. Do you want a Big Block or a Small Block? If you want a small block...go with either a 327 or 350 sbc (sbc=small block chevy) they are easy to find parts for, fairly inexpensive to build, plenty of them out there, reliable

as of now im looking at chevys u i really like the 55 chevy since i dont know anything about older cars yet nor do i kno about v8s maybe i should wait til i get the vehicle i want

truthfully that would be the best ...Especially if you're looking at a 55 chevy...there are so many different directions to go with one of those..... gasser, hot rod, cruiser, rat rod, rail dragger, the 55 chevy is probably one the most versitle cars to build....although finding a 55 Chevy that is workable could be achallenge and usually are kindof pricey.

Sounds like a small block Chevy 350 is a great place to start. They are all over the place. Easy to work on, and aftermarket parts are easy to find. They are the most common motor for hot rods for those reasons. There are hundreds of other options. But I think the 350 is a great start.

thanks guys my buddy actually was gonna put one in his s10 and decided not i can get6 it for 100 is that a good price. needs rebuilt

100 for it seems reasonble..........depends on what it is though.......If its a 350 sbc 4 bolt main its a gooood price....(4 bolt main means that it has 4 bolts in the main caps rather than 2)

A more important question for you is: How much do you know about building an engine? If you're gonna do the rebuild yourself...my biggest suggestion it get a good rebuilding manual (can get it from summit racing or speedway motors or the like) Look at one from HP or SA Design

a good book is: How to Build Max Performance Chevy Small Blocks on a Budget from SA Design and also from SA Design Rebuilding the Small Block Chevy

Both books are great...the first one is more for performance and the 2nd one is for basic rebuild. You really need a book like this cuz it has all your torque specs and bolt tightening orders, your firing orders and all the useful how-to's

Go to Amazon.com & search for Chevy V8's. You can easily buy a good running Chevy 350 & tranny at any good junk yard... that's a good way to start. And believe me.. there's NOTHING like the feel & sound of a rockin' SBC! Cheap parts & cheap power!

BoB

Latest posts

Back