Hondamatic Rebuild

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPizzle

Just starting this rebuild of my 78 cb400 a Hondamatic Hawk. It's been sitting in the corner of my garage for about 5 years. I decided to tear it down and try to put it back together with some changes of course. I wouldn't even consider myself a shade tree mechanic so any advice would help! Not sure how much I can work on it or post pictures but I'll do my best. Started tearing down tonight. Took the tank, seat, and exhaust off...plan on removing the engine and carbs tomorrow and whatever else I get around to.

Attachments

• Before1 12-28-11.jpg
    Before1 12-28-11.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Breakdown1 12-28-11.jpg
    Breakdown1 12-28-11.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Breakdown 12-28-11.jpg
    Breakdown 12-28-11.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 31
What are your plans for it ? Is that a duece in the bacground ? A cool bike site for metric builds is do the ton, a lot of good pics, ideas, and helpful people there, for bobber, cafe, and bratstyle bike builds.

We did an '82 Kawi 750 four bratstyle last spring, for my son.

Not exactly sure what im gonna do just yet. Im goin to rebuild the motor and carbs
and I definitely want to lower the rear end. Thanks for the info and yes thats an 01 Deuce

Jpizza
Check out (My Honda chopper rebuild) in this section. I started out with the same bike. 1978 Hondamatic cb400a

may help with idea

Yes sir Hot...I've looked it over and looked it over again! It's a nice bike and I may be hitting you up once I get back into painting and putting it back together. Gonna rebuild the engine and carbs first so it may be a while. Theres a couple of things that I'm not sure about as far as how the bike will run after I put it together. For example.....I want to get rid of the stock breather box but don't know how or what to replace it with......

Thanks for the post

Got the engine out and startingthe rebuild. Took the swingarm off
And now wish I hadn't. Gonna put it back in order to hack on the frame.
found a hard tail kit that I'm going to Put on it. Still searching for a tank. Not to
Mention a lot of other things as well.

Attachments

• 20120102_155325-1.jpg
    20120102_155325-1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20120104_193421-1.jpg
    20120104_193421-1.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 6
I really want to put a new tank on it. I don't know my options but I'm wondering if a sportster or Harley soft tail tank would fit. Anybody know?

We used to use...Sportster 'peanut' tank...
search sporster peanut tank...bunch on e bay new and used

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back