hood flew open....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joukaishou813924

so i just got my little beater honda civic 2 days ago, and with my usual luck something bad has happened.
i got on the highway hit about 75-80 and the hood flew open, smashed the windsheild and dented the roof, not to mention destroying my hood.
so now i need to replace the hood and windsheild before taking my 1800 mile trip next week

Sorry to hear about your bad luck but look at the bright side of it all, you're still here to write this post. [cl Dont worry be happy:)

I've never had that happen but I was crusin' down the freeway & that happened to a truck right next to me. He couldn't see anything & I thought he might do something stupid & I'd get caught up too... so I mashed the gas & left him behind as he put on the brakes! Pretty scary stuff. Glad u're ok!!!

BoB

Ouch! Same thing happened to my Son Dan some years ago in a 5.0 Mustang he had. It got hood pins when he redid the front end. :D Glad you didn't get hurt or have an accident because of it.

Don

That happened to a buddy of mine once. We had just picked up a 1956 Chevy Panel truck that he bought and we were on our way home. I was following him down the highway at about 50-55 mph and all of a sudden, BANG. Up came the hood, the truck wavered a little and then his head popped out the side window and without missin' a beat drove the rest of the way home. [cl

the only nice thing about it was this was the cheapest bad luck incedent yet, like my mach 1 had a hot and run on the second day causing $2000+ in damage plus ruining my trans, or my tbird which i still cant figure out. this should only cost around $100 to fix

If you ever decide to come through Houston... lemme know! I'll stay off the streets & lock all the doors! [ddd

BoB

I also found out years ago that hoods make great kites. I had a 53 Studebaker with a sbc in it and I made the hood to lift off with four hood pins. One time I forgot to put the little retaining pins on all four and when I got up to about 60 mph I saw the hood begin to flutter. Before I could slow down it took off straight up into the air and must have gone 30 feet high before it dropped.

Unfortunately there was a trailer truck some distance behind me and it landed right in his lane and he ran square over it. :eek: I can still see that thing taking off and how amazed I was that they can soar that high, it honestly looked just like a kite. Good thing I had a second 53 at home for parts. :D

Don

I remember a friend making a "high speed" pass in front of our high school and the hood flew off his cherry 62 impala. The crossing guard was probably the least impressed!!!...CR

Did that at work once. The hood latch on a dodge caravan desided not to latch all the way due to a sticking hood latch cable. Well at 55mph on a test drive. There went the hood. I had to buy a hood, windshield, and pay to have it painted. Not a fun day.

Did that at work once. The hood latch on a dodge caravan desided not to latch all the way due to a sticking hood latch cable. Well at 55mph on a test drive. There went the hood. I had to buy a hood, windshield, and pay to have it painted. Not a fun day.

The boss's son decided to take a 383 Cuda for a test ride( read that a Mach III. Run) after he aligned the front end. Evidently he didn't close the hood correctly and you can guess the rest. The worse part was this was the first of what was to be many cars from the Plymouth/Dodge bodyshop.! The 1st turned out to be the last!..:(..CR

local boneyard opperator use to have a 1971 chevy wrecker. The hood flew open so many times he took the hinges off so that when it did it again it wouldn't smash the windshield! Yup, thats the mentality up by me. Don't fix the latch or anything. Come to think of it, I don't think it ever came off again after the "fix". :confused:

There is a hill on i-435 in KC that frequently had broken down cars on the shoulders. I and the then wife were driving up it in a VW bug and i was telling her that this section of road was jinxed. The hood (front lid on a bug) blew up at that instant! Coincidence? The odds make that impossible. :)

Me too!

Lived in Europe for a while in the Army, and was driving an old 64 Chevy down the Autobahn (freeway, German style, no speed limits at the time).

Pretty late at night, coming back from Italy, doing about 90, and 90 % asleep.

The hood came off lock, and popped to the semi-open position. Awake, stopped and pulling shorts out of dark places. Looked latch over, no problem. :eek: Never did it again.

I suspect that HRP will say someone sent a wake up call, and I think I agree.

When I was a kid my best friend’s dad gave me a 1968 Dodge Monaco with a 440 that my friend and I had built (He was like a Dad to me, He had also given me a 1967 Bel-air and a 1970 Nova). When I turned 16 the first day on the road my friend forgot to put the hood pins in and for some reason had also taken the safety latch off the hood during body work...well the hood came up when I stomped on it, I stepped on the brake and the hood was almost back down when a huge gust of wind caught the hood and BAM!!! No more wind shield.

My '49 shoebox has a latch but no safety latch. I have a chain and padlock to:
1. Theft protection
2. Keep the hood from flying open

The original builder found out the hard way after the car was painted. Hood flew open on the freeway hence the chain and padlock.

Latest posts

Back