how to match the rust on the rest of the body

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psterlingjr

i'm going to make my own doors and roof for my truck. does anyone know how i can make the new metal match the old. i realy like the way the rest of the cab looks.

Attachments

• car 2 073.jpg
    car 2 073.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 163
It's not going to match but you can spray it with any weak acid solution. Anything from lemon juice, vinegar, or dilute muratic acid. It will give it a surface ruce but nothing like time will do.

You want rust? Try spraying it down with Calcium Chloride - anybody that lives where they spread that infernal stuff for ice control knows it'll eat the ####ing #### out of exposed metal. I HATE IT! :mad:

Might be good for making rust match though.:)

Its gonna take years to get that dark red/dark brown rust look. Your doors and roof is going to be the typical orange rust for a while, so it wont actually match for quite some time.

Here is what worked for me,at the end of the first season I disasembled all the new-raw pieces . I put them out in the back yard all winter and they rusted up pretty good . Put them all back on the truck and rubbed the whole truck down with burnt linseed oil , drove it all last year. Have just rubbed it down again for this season and you can not tell the difference between the "old" rust and the "new" rust.

Check out electrolosis. You can use a set up with soda wash meant to remove rust, but use the panels or pieces as the electrode, they will rust. :cool:

Salt water works good but leaves a orange color rust. I,ve had luck rubbing the orange rust down with a mixture of paint thinner and a little brown paint.
Just a little paint what ever color. A watery mix. Try a test first what ever way you go on some scrap.

FRESCA???!

I've been hearing quite a bit about fresca, the pop. I tried it out a few times now and I haven't quite got the look I'm going for but it seems to work pretty damn good at weathering the painted surfaces and rusting up the non-painted. I am trying to match the patina on my truck and I just roughed up the paint on the pieces with a 400 grit, then went over it with a rag soaked in Fresca a few times. I then sanded it down further with an 800 grit and re-soaked the bitch. Now it's starting to look pretty close I've just got some more tinkerin to do!

This response is a little late, but maybe someone else can use it.

What works well for me (learned this through the AZ Blacksmith association) is to use a cheap one quart spray bottle. Mix 4 parts Hydrogen Peroxide with 1 part Vinegar and about a teaspoon of Table Salt. You can vary the ratios slightly and reduce, add or delete the salt completely, but this ratio works well for me.

The longer it sets and the more you spray it the darker it gets. You can intermittently mist it with plain water to keep the oxidation working as well.

The combination of the acid in the vinegar and the concentrated oxygen (oxidizer) in the Peroxide works fast, 30 minutes to a few hours, depending on how dark you want it, and is simple to use and control where and how much and what color rust you want. And it is cheap.

hydrogen peroxide works wonders! The concetrated stuff produces a deep red rust overnight, but the fumes are really nasty, have GOOD ventilation and a respirator. store bought peroxide works a LOT slower but it will start rusting.

Just send it to Southern Louisiana for about 3 days and walla it's a done deal.
lmao -- right put it in my backyard baremetal -- itll be ready in a week... they spray can wasnt a bad idea though ... maybe use the spray can as mentions leaving some areas bare and just sand some of the rest of the cab opposite?
idk though.

Latest posts

Back