How'd you know you were a rat rodder?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
get-attachment10.jpg

Here I am in 1958, a 16 year old. My '41 Ford coupe had a 276 cu. in. modified flathead and a '39 Ford floor shift. It ran 16's at the strip. This is as "done" as it would get.
In the 55 years since then my "build style" hasn't changed much. I therefore declare myself a rat rod pioneer.:D

"Either way, its a phase of hot rodding.....just a phase. There were many phases.....hot rods, street rods, vans, muscle cars"

I couldn't disagree more.

It's a term, yes. A phase, no. The term describes what has always existed in the hot rodding scene. Guys modifying vehicles. Some out of necessity, some out of artistic expression. The guys who are willing to drive them instead of spending stupid amounts of coin making them to pretty to drive.

Where thing have changed is that the guys who were marginalized for not having all shiny paint and chrome have grouped together.

But we have always existed. Bob W picture and post is a good example. My old man was doing this in the fifties. The term rat rod is just applied more liberally. Probably started by the more money than brains, order it from a catalog crowd. That stuff is like assembling models. I was doing that when I was eight. Some of us moved on to "building" some just assemble bigger models. Each to their own.

I like Rat Rods because guys drive them. No body wets their pants if it rains. Bump your door into it in the parking lot, see if we care. I carry the black rattle can to fix their door chip, not mine.[ddd

Not everyone who takes up painting is going to be a Rembrandt, and only one guy needed to be.

Gold03

I build what i want & i don't give a Rat's Donkey~ :eek:
I build car/trucks like kids would have done in the 50's & 60's. (no $$)
seriously if i had stopped & thought about what i did.......... would i have done it?[ddd

After many restorations and "shiny" cars and trucks, I have found my true love. The Rat Rod is perfect for my taste and life style. I will never have a "cookie cutter" shiny project again. I think the freedom to just do what ever feels good to your ride is a great stress reliever. Rat is where it's at for me.

After seeing the first Rat I got the same weak in the knees feeling after seeing the first good looking old lady while my first pub-hair was sprouting. I more I see regular, square, broad is the way goers getting offended by Rats, the more I love them. Regular=diarrhea, square=coffins, both are the broadway...

My wife and I, have/had ALL KINDS of "muscle" cars -'66 GTO, '70 Monte Carlo, '71 Dart, '70 Skylark GSX Clone, '70-'74 Novas and our '78 and 2 '79 Malibus.
Truthfully, I got tired of going to show after show..seeing the same cars. Seriously...you got a whole line of the same Camaros, Corvettes, Chevelles and blah, blah blah...and they are all painted within the same colors they always are painted. It just got old as ****!!
I first took notice of "RATRODS" when it just slapped me in the face...at a car show. In the sea of xerox copied cars, it just stood out! That's what I love!! Your personality, shows thru your car...or rat for lack of better terms. You can have 2 or more of the same vehicles..they are going to be different and stand out from the rest. It's all about individuality....

get-attachment10.jpg

Here I am in 1958, a 16 year old. My '41 Ford coupe had a 276 cu. in. modified flathead and a '39 Ford floor shift. It ran 16's at the strip. This is as "done" as it would get.
In the 55 years since then my "build style" hasn't changed much. I therefore declare myself a rat rod pioneer.:D

Now the question is.....Do you still have the cool ass car, you are standing proudly next to!?!?!

When a friend of mine wanted to trade me his 40 Ford with a Olds Rocket engine and tranny in it for my 53 Chevy. I was 16 and Dad wouldn't go for the trade.
Just took me until three years ago when I acquired my 40 Pontiac did the ailment really take hold.

"Either way, its a phase of hot rodding.....just a phase. There were many phases.....hot rods, street rods, vans, muscle cars"

I couldn't disagree more.

It's a term, yes. A phase, no. The term describes what has always existed in the hot rodding scene. Guys modifying vehicles. Some out of necessity, some out of artistic expression. The guys who are willing to drive them instead of spending stupid amounts of coin making them to pretty to drive.

Where thing have changed is that the guys who were marginalized for not having all shiny paint and chrome have grouped together.

But we have always existed. Bob W picture and post is a good example. My old man was doing this in the fifties. The term rat rod is just applied more liberally. Probably started by the more money than brains, order it from a catalog crowd. That stuff is like assembling models. I was doing that when I was eight. Some of us moved on to "building" some just assemble bigger models. Each to their own.

I like Rat Rods because guys drive them. No body wets their pants if it rains. Bump your door into it in the parking lot, see if we care. I carry the black rattle can to fix their door chip, not mine.[ddd

Not everyone who takes up painting is going to be a Rembrandt, and only one guy needed to be.

Gold03
Term...Phrase...call it what you want....10 years from now it will be called something else, but will still be hot rodding
I betcha Bob W called it a hot rod, not a rat rod.

that's when I knew
attachment.php

Clown car or yard art....No way in hell that pile is street driven

hot rod, rat rod, street rod or those dumb cry baby dolls in your car everything comes and goes, I am waiting for those giant wheels to fade!!!!!!!!!

Term...Phrase...call it what you want....10 years from now it will be called something else, but will still be hot rodding
I betcha Bob W called it a hot rod, not a rat rod.

Clown car or yard art....No way in hell that pile is street driven
Dude ur Poopin on my vision of the perfect Rat Rod. Beside, the question was; how did you know you were a Rat Rodder and for me it was the day I clicked on that picture. Before that day I was a lost soul just wasting away as I polished the wheels of my 66 Mustang for the 1000th time. Man I'm really hurt. lol......... I bet it runs. The motors wired up, it has a radiator and hoses, heck it even has a gas tank and a seat.

When I decided that it didn't have to be shiny to be cool..

and it didn't have to be mainstream for me to like them....kind of like music...you can like all sorts of music....some better than others but overall, music is enjoyable....guess my view of things has changed a bit over the years.....:D

I knew I was a rat rodder when someone called my car a POS and I took it as a compliment! :D

Zipper

High school:

- '69 Impala
- "Aerated" sheetmetal
- Homemade "tunnel ram"
- Bias-ply slicks (i.e., bald)
- Crap brindle brown
- Fenderwell headers mounted upside down

30 years ago - a phase I have yet to outgrow. :D

Latest posts

Back