Howdy from the redwoods of Northern CA

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

26Tudor

:DJust found this site, surfin' the net.
My name is Dave, and I'm an old guy (closer to 60 than 50).
Spent the last 20 or so years down in San Diego, Escondido, to be exact, and worked in Orange county for the (at the time) 2 air cooled VW Magazines that were in publication (the second one ceased publication about a year after I "defected" to the other guy's magazine)
So, I'm fairly well-versed in aircooled VWs, but this is my first foray into rodding, except that before I moved to the Redwoods, trading my Escondido house for a completely paid-off, 2 story, Ocean View ( 538 feet from the water) 2-1/2 year old house (we built it, first ones to ever live in it) home, I had a '69 Bug, with a 6 inch chop, suicide doors, Oval sunroof clip grafted in, hidden hinges, and a 9 inch extended (fenderless) wheelbase with a Super Bell 6 inch drop I-beam, Posie's Super slide spring, Hairpin radius rods, 17 on Ford wires with Coker wide whites, Wilwood disc brakes, and a fire-breathing 2054cc VW engine with Weber carbs, cam, headwork,H-beam rods, stroker crank, balanced, you know, all the stuff everybody else does with 2x as many cylinders, but again, sold it unfinished to help finance the move to NorCal.
Now, I am building a Model T Tudor, 1926, on a used TCI Model A chassis, Old Tru-Spoke wires, Maverick V-8 rear, typical I-beam dropped front end (I'm cheating and using the Speedway Malibu disc brake kit in front, I got it new, for cheap) and another cheapie, a Chevy Vortec V-6 with a TH350 Trans...I think with the price of gasoline, I'm glad I went with the V-6 in retrospect, because when it's finished, I want to be able to drive this thing anywhere I want to, and get about as good of mileage as my daily driver.

Last edited:
I e-mailed the owner of this forum, and he replied that they were experiencing some Technical Difficulties, but they should be remedied soon.
I've never really messed with radiators, driveshaft angles, TH350 kickdown mechanisms, or any of that... so while I am okay with getting greasy, and know a little bit about the internal combustion engine and gearing and carbns and such, these American Iron cars are somewhat new to me.
So, please bear with me if I ask a lot of questions, and I do know how to use the search function first...

Just tried to upload photos, and they failed again, I guess the tech problems haven't been sorted out yet. I'm patient, I'll get them loaded up as sooon as I can...
BTW, I am in Crescent City, about 20 miles from the Oregon border, and yes, this is the only town in the lower, non-Hawaii, 48 United States that has been levelled by a tsunami... But I'm 100 feet up from sea level at high tide, so, if I get wet, I have a lot more problems than just some wet carpet...:eek:

Attachments

• DSCN0002 copy.jpg
    DSCN0002 copy.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Rat rod & 27 T copy.jpg
    Rat rod & 27 T copy.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Rat rod copy.jpg
    Rat rod copy.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
DMW, yes, this is the town that was hit by the Tsunami... most people think of a Tsunami, to be like the one they saw hit Thailand around Xmas time a few years back... that's not what happened here... instead of one huge, crashing, wave, it was more like a succession of extremely high tides. Those, in and of themselves, didn't do a lot of damage, except for flood a bunch of buildings in the downtown(shore) area... but when the tide went out, it went out quickly, and it pretty much took everything with it.
Every Tuesday now, at precisely 12 o'clock in the afternoon, the Tsunami warning siren goes off... if you don't know what it is, it will flat scare the crap out of you, it is L-O-U-D !! (makes a Top Fuel Dragster quiet by comparison..) It's out in the Ocean, I believe, where the idea is that it won't deafen anyone that happens to be in proximity, but believe me, if you are in the tidal area, you WILL hear it.:eek:
The town has never really recovered fully from that Tsunami, but there is progress still, although it's a little slow. We have a Car Club here, <www.northernknights.us> and we have a huge (don't shoot) street rod show called the Sea Cruise, right on the beachfront in a park, every October.

Latest posts

Back