I am SO stupid... again! BOBO on my eyeball!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
The last time I hurt my eye grinding something I swore I'd never grind without safty glasses again. Well... Saturday I couldn't find my glasses & it had just a lil gringing to do & my eye *really* started hurting & the vision in my bestest eyeball was really blurred. So I went to my GP today & I had a big piece of metal under my pupil in the middle of the iris. The eye Doc picked the piece out with a cool microscope & a special needle & said 1/4" higher & it would have really been bad! Then he smoothed the hole out with a sort of eye grinder. Hasn't been fun & cost the old Tripper $250 even with my insurance! I felt like a special kinda dumba$$!!! Bought 3 pairs of safty glasses & feel lucky it wasn't worse!!!

DON'T BE A MORON LIKE ME... USE PROTECTIVE EYEWEAR!!! :eek:

BOB

Like Norm Abrams always says..."The most important piece of equipment in the shop is your safety glasses" or something to that effect.

Glad all is well. Keep them orbs safe.

I'v done it twice, last time was with safety glasses on. piece came off the grinder and bounced up into the eye, kept getting more uncomfortable till I went to the doc almost in tears, not from the pain from the drain.

Ive been (legally ) blind in my left eye for as long as I can remember .. didnt think much of it coming up in life ,, Had to ware glasses to keep the eye from wondering .. or getting lazy .. but now im having trouble out of my right eye arms are getting to short . .. you dont know how much you need them till something happens to them .. just hope its not to late or permanent..

I too have sat in that chair with my chin resting in that cup and watched those micro tweezers come in.

Gotta hold really still.

Attachments

• FBremovalwithneedle.jpg
    FBremovalwithneedle.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 14
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, Bob, I have had to go to the ER a few times to have a piece removed. My Son Dan had to have a piece ground out of his eyeball one time ! :eek:

I am basically a dumb*** when it comes to stuff like this and I always swear never again. :eek::eek::eek:

Hope you are ok.

Don

Glad your ok man! We've al had our moments tho... The worse for me was a piece of paint that came from about 25' away. It came off of a derby car that a friend was beating on. It took me a second to figure out what had happened but when I looked closely you could see the tan color of the paint. I ended up getting it ground out as well. Mine was only $1600 at the ER!

I think it's probably happened to every one of us who have worked on cars all our lives. The pain, the doctor visit, the grinding of eye ball material to remove rust already forming from the metal in your eye,..etc,...etc,....never fun.

I even had to have xrays of my eyes before MRIs I've had, to make sure there wasn't metal in my eye, so it wouldn't be pulled out by the big magnet in the MRI. :eek:

Then,...there's the "one" time I got flash burn of the eyes while trying to just close my eyes while doing some spot welding. [;)Yeah,...sorry,..my eye lids were not fast enough to have success with that. Now that was painful later on that night.

Now,..in my older, wiser days,...I "never" grind, cut, weld, etc,....without the proper eye/face protection.

I thought I was the only dumba$$ that kept on doing that. Now I just lie to the Doc and say I don't know how the chunk of metal got around my safetyglasses [S This has been going on for 40 + years, you'd think I would learn too.....:eek:

Update on my eyeball fiasco! After nearly a week & 1/2 I still had that scratchy feeling so I went back to the eye Doc & the prob was the metal piece that was removed left a lil metal that started to rust. He removed that & now I'm starting over with the healing process. I'm so paranoid now I wear safety glasses *any* time I go out of the house! Rust in your eyeball... that's a new one on me!!! [S[S[S

BoB

I've had it happen too and the only way they found the rest of the steel was to wait for it to rust. and boy did it suck. the other bad one is to have it stuck inside the eye lid and have it scratch the crap out of the eyeball. ask me how I know.

Latest posts

Back