International 240BD-oil change

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountain

Hello I am running the original stait 6 240 in my International S110 and I just changed the oil. I pulled off the valve cover to clean it out a bit. Someone once told me to run diesel fuel over the rockers to flush it out. Has anyone done this before and could it hurt anything? I want to get her all flushed out so any ideas are welcome. Thanks everyone!

I think we have had a discussion a few times, some had mentioned using a quart of trans fluid in the oil and idling it for a while, then changing it again, there were some other methods too, I just don't remember all of them...

Trouble with the old motors is that they didn't have detergent oil, and it tended to gum up, and coke up, and such, all the crap you are seeing under that valve cover... well that and a lack of a filter on some motors...

Sorry, I did a search for diesel fuel cleaners. I always add Mystery Marvel oil to my engine because that is what my father told me to do. I don't know if it helps but who can argue with his father on cars? I guess I will flush out the old oil with the diesel fuel and see how everything works out. If I have a post about what engine works best with a 56 International we will know it doesn't work :). Thanks for the info

If you run it with diesel you run the risk of bearing damage.If you flush with diesel you run a risk of washing gunk to the oil pan where it can collect on pickup tube for the oil pump causing bearing damage,So no diesel is not a good thing imo.

Thanks. I will give the Seafoam stuff a shot. I never use it but I know a lot of my buddies have. I just want to keep this truck running as long a I can. Thanks again!

If its gummed up bad enough that it needs cleaned then it needs tore down IMO. If you brake all the gunk loose your not going to get it all out without tearing it apart. At least the oil pan needs to come off. All the sludge will plug the oil pick up up.

Trans fluid will clean stuff a little and it shouldn't hurt the bearings when used in moderation. It's not going to make the inside of your engine spotless tho.

Eric

If you want to clean it out you better pull the oil pan and clean it out too_Or dont touch it. the trash will get into your bearings and ruin them,and will clog up your pick up screen,if you dont clean it dont run a high detergent oil either.

So I dropped the pan and it is not bad. I dropped the pan about two years ago and it was so bad I had to clean it out with a puddy knife and gas. I was expecting it to be worse than it is. I am going to clean out the pan and put it back on. Has anyone put a newer (non sock type) filter on their truck. I wish it was as easy as my Chevy 235 with a direct line in oun out. My filter is mounted right to the block. Suggestions? Thanks!

Latest posts

Back