Is '79 realy too new?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlatbedAndy

I bought this '79 Crown Vic. last summer. Just wanted a "driver" that you don't see everyday. Yea I know Crown Vics are everywhere, see 'em all the time. But this one is a two door. Old man's car, had the rustproof treatment when it was new, so it's in pretty good shape. The '79 still uses a carburator , has no air bag so I can install a custom steering wheel, has two cat. converters (one for each bank) so I can have dual exh. And that keys in the ign. buzzer.... disconected with no problems... try that on a '98 see what happens . Still has tha original paint tho its faded,maroon has to be the worst, but I don't want it shiney anyway , even thought about flat black ,but I think I'll draw the line and NOT paint the weels red. I already ground out some wide whites , but that's a NO also... didn't look right . Had this thought... how about instaling a Steel dash, like out of a '51 Victoria... I dunno some things are better left alone.

Attachments

• 3n03o43l95O25P35S3a83c0630539a5401188.jpg
    3n03o43l95O25P35S3a83c0630539a5401188.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 2010_0903LTD790016.jpg
    2010_0903LTD790016.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 2010_0903LTD790019.jpg
    2010_0903LTD790019.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 39
kool find, don't see many two doors. kinda looks like chevy truck wheels, but i can be wrong.

Never seen a 2 door CV.

But, I have seen way too many crown vics in my rear view mirror with flashy lights on them in my wild days tho.. hehheh

kool find, don't see many two doors. kinda looks like chevy truck wheels, but i can be wrong.

That thing needs a set of 26" wheels!

Those are Chrysler wheels the P O had on there. Now it has a set of later 15' steel wheels and 'cop' hub caps with trim rings. I'll have to say no to the 26ers even tho they would fit, just don't want the "bling" lol Trying to resist puting on a set of aluminum valve covers I have laying on the shelf[dr

I just don't see much there. Never cared for the 'box cars' though. How about lower 4"+, flat white paint, blacked out trim, and keep the rims or centerlines. I'd try to figure out how to change up the front end with round headlights. Not sure about the bumper....

It is cool because there were so few 2 doors and that might be the last year for them. It looks to be in good condition. Still an old man's car and almost anything you do will scream dork. I think the steelys with dog dish caps would help. I like them on everything. Drop the nose a couple inches would help it's looks too. I have 15" steelys with some old 60s dog dish caps on my Aerostar. It kinda looks like a paddy wagon.

Hell here in the midwest, thoughs cars are everywhere. I even still have a nice 77 LeSabre Custom Landu 2 Door, I bought it in 2003 and it has sat ever since. That is a nice looking car though.

I dunno some things are better left alone.

Your best idea right there. :D

Just clean it up and leave it alone. It has some cool value as a clean old squarebody car, but it has a ton of dork value if you start putting primer and other goofy type things on it. If it was mine I would change out the wheels to cop steelies & poverty caps, lower it and drive it...

Enjoy it for what it is, a tough easily fixed squaremobile. I wouldn't mind having a 70s or 80s big box full framed beast. They are still easy repaired by the shadetree mechanic and unlike older stuff parts are readily avalible and dirt cheap :)

I like it. Drive like it is. I drive my 79 2 DR Caprice Classic mostly in bad weather. It runs and drives better then a new Impala and can pull a car on a 16 ft trailer and still get 25+ MPG. Cant do that with a new plastic car.
Tim

old ford

Hell drive it just the way it is,paint looks flat with natural patina,don"t do the flat black to the car ,its to big for the overdone flatblack thing,but I agree ,26 wheels belong on heavy equipment not cars.Next somebody will want to to gullwing the doors,and put six TVs in it.[P

Last edited:
Hell drive it just the way it is,paint looks flat with natural patina,don"t do the flat black to the car ,its to big for the overdone flatblack thing,but I agree ,26 wheels belong on heavy equipment not cars.Next somebody will want to to gullwing the doors,and put six TVs in it.[P

[cl:D:D I hate the BIG wheel look! you're right, 26"ers belong on heavy equipment....CR

It might look good as a lowrider. Flashy paint and lowered with bellflowers. Checkout the Los Boulevardos car club. Those are some sweet rides.

I know what I would do with it, those make very good Oval Track Race Cars!! Check out the specs on that car and it is low weight, and good percentages front to back, rear steer, fairly strong front end. I have always liked them, but to rod I see no way. You could build a really nice Pro Street car with it tho!!! Tubbed big an littles look cool.

Latest posts

Back