Is a Panhard bar really necessary?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sid

My rear suspension will be a parallel 4 link and coilovers. With this setup, I need to install a panhard bar to keep the axle laterally located, which occurs (correct me if I’m wrong), when cornering.

Now let’s say I drive over speed bump, where both rear wheels move up at the same time. With the panhard bar setup, I basically will have no suspension travel. Would this be a correct conclusion? If so, there could be other driving conditions where the suspension isn’t as effective as it could without the panhard bar.

What would the risk be or not using a panhard bar. I’m not planning on road racing it but just putting around the countryside and maybe doing a ¼ race now and again.

I know I could go with a triangulated system but I’m beyond that right now.

Any input or commnets would be appreciated,

Sid

a panhard bar, when set up correctly will not keep any of the suspension from working correctly.....its only purpose is to keep the rear-end centered under the vehicle
so if going over your speed bump-as you mentioned, the panhard bar pivots, letting the suspension move as it should-straight up-then straight down....

hope i helped more than i confused:confused::D

on a standard 4 link yes in order to keep your rear axle from moving side to side. when installed correctly, Level at ride height, correct length, ect. they should not bind. on a triagulated 4 link not needed as much or at all due to the forces applied by the triangle design of the bars pushing against each other.

a watts link is the best, on a four link, but requires more room. hope this helps dp1

Attachments

• panhard pic.jpg
    panhard pic.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 40
  • watts link pic.jpg
    watts link pic.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 32
Yes some more, a triangulated 4 link will locate the axle without a panhard, but parallel set up lacks any way to keep the pumpkin centered, without a panhard bar.

Thanks for the additional info and I can see where my thinking when off. The animations where great and I can see from them a watts setup would be more performant. I'll have to re-evaluate the rear suspension setup and see if the watts linkage is possible. I think my coilover shock may be in the way of the watts setup.

Over and out,

Sid

I purchased a parallel 4 bar from a company it was a bolt in kit. Instead of a panhard rod, It has a track bar, which is a bar that runs diagonially, from the right rear axle bracket, the bolt goes through the lower right bar and bracket, to the lower left front bar and bracket. After a quick call to the mfg. of the kit,I was told that this track bar would net a better ride on the street.

Just another thought,it could save you some extra needed room, I haven't driven it yet so I really cant give a opinon on the ride. I should be roadworthy this week.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back