Just a reach out to my RRR family.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Gold

Can't leave well enough alone!
I know these type of posts are rather difficult to respond to, but today I just need to reach out.

A couple of months ago we lost one of our family pets, or as we know them our family members. Emily was our Brittany who had a long battle with epilectic seizures. She took monthly meds and had a relativlely long normal life. One night she wnt into multiple seizures and her functions began to shut down and she passed away peacefully at home. She was 11 years old and still our "little girl". Needless to say it was devastating to our family. We have four other dogs and just coped by loving them all the more. Her is a picture of our girl "MO-MO"
DSCF0004.jpg

Ysterday I took my lab/shepard MAX in to have a small tumor removed. He's my boy. One of the best friends I've ever had. We raised him since he was 6 months old and he just turned 7 years old. The Dr. called and said he could'nt do the surgery due to his temp. After many X-rays and tests we unfortunately found out that it was cancer and had mastitized into his lungs. Obviously the prognosis is terminal. We are taking soltice in knowing we can say good bye to him over the next couple of weeks, as it progresses fast. He has medications to make him confortable. God I love that guy, as well as my other 3 dogs. It sure hurts bad.
DSCF0002.jpg

having a dog with epilepsy is so heartbreaking. i had a collie ever since the day i was born, we had the same exact birthday, we were so close. every time he went into an epileptic seizure, regardless of his meds, i would freak and just cradle him until he was better. he died of old age eventually, but we could see it in his eyes that he was ready... he began to worsen in blindness and deafness, he would fall into the pool almost every day or run into furniture. we built him a dog house years before, and he just started using it to crawl inside and not come out. we eventually put him to sleep at the doctors because his epilepsy and arthritis were getting too much for him and us to bear, and we buried him in the back yard. it was so heartbreaking, just know that your dogs loved you and youve given them a wonderful life and friendship!
n1113060059_30012586_8465.jpg
R.I.P Cheech!

They get to be like children, our pets. Out of all of them, I have the hardest time with dogs and horses passing. Probably since they around for so many years, and you get to know their personality.
Chin up Old Gold, knowing that you offered the best of possible lives for them while they were here.

It's tough to go through this with our four legged family members. They are so trusting and loveing, you can see it in their eyes. I think the worst part is they can't talk to us to tell us where it hurts.

Hang in there Gold. I can't say I know what you're feeling, but I do know how I have felt in the same situation.

I'm with ya guys.
I had 12 up until last month--- Lost 1 due to a brain tumor.
Always rough to loose them, but as my wife says ( she runs a rescue) they are up @ the Rainbow Bridge, and happy 4 EVER now..

I'm with y'all, too. I know what you're going through, OG. Lost our 2 cats over the last 2 years, both at 11. We still have our 3 dogs.

Our friends may be gone but, we still have the fond memories of the times we shared with them.

It's amazing how attached we get to our pets, I can't even imagine losing our dog Daisy Duke. I care more about her than I do a lot of people I know!

OldGold I am really sorry for your loss and recent bad news! The bright side is they will go to a better place than here and you'll probably end up giving a couple new pets a great home like they had.

My heart aches for you, especially because I just went through it myself recently when I had to have Scooter, my one cat, put to sleep. It was the hardest decision I have ever had to make. When I am flipping through old pictures and one of her comes up I still can't stand seeing it.

When I posted a similar thread to yours when she died, I knew some people who aren't pet lovers would think I was dumb as h***, crying over a dead cat. But we who love our pets and consider them as members of our family know better. It becomes a true loss, and we are very saddened by it.

We feel your pain, and we tear up a little when we see someone like you going through this, as we have. The only consolation we can take is that for whatever amount of years we had that pet, we gave them a good loving home and lots of attention. There are so many dogs and cats that don't have that chance in life, so if we can save just a small percentage of them, we have done some good. Someone posted this on another forum one time, he said "Give your pets a hug today, because you never know what tomorrow will bring." That is so true.

So sorry to hear of your loss. :(:(

Don

Thanks to all of you. It always feels better when you can pour your heart out a little. We are taking my boy Max down to Michigan State University to see an Oncologist. They have one of the top pet facilities in the nation. Hopefully we will have some definitive answers as to which direction we can pursue. IF surgery and chemotherapy are still possible, we will do whatever we can to acheive that. Being that he is in the prime of his life, it is least I feel I can do. Some people may think that is a crazy way to spend money but I have it at this time due to an ironic twist of fate from my shoulder injury 2 years ago. Sometimes things happen for a reason I guess.

I hope that works out for you, and you are right about the money thing. That is one thing I feel guilty about with Scooter. When I took her to the Vet he told me it was going to get very expensive real fast, and being that I had been out of work for a year and a half, I was watching every cent. I asked him if he thought the prognosis was good if I did it, and he said he doubted it, she was 16 years old, and overweight all her life. But it is a decision I wonder about all the time. Now that I am back to work I could afford it and would do it, but at the time it was just impossible. Even as it was, it cost me $ 1,000.00 for what they did do.

The only consolation is that she had 16 very happy, very loved years. I guess that is some comfort.

I wish you well with your dog, and please keep us posted on how it is going.

Don

Latest posts

Back