Just joined from Victoria British Columbia

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GardCanada

Hi all, I found out about this site from doing one of my online searches for info on the 1934 Chevrolet 1.5 ton pick up. I recently got one from Saltspring Island and its in pretty good shape, though its not running. It does though need a lot of work and its a toss up for me to consider whether to restore it or ratrod it, so here I am. At least with rodding it out, the parts are easier to come by, and much safer compared to the mechanical brakes she came with... I've got a few other vehicles that are much newer but my newest (haha) is a 1979 Camaro... Computers in vehicles, are one of those things that probably makes diagnostic frustating so I use the "KISS" theory. Admittedly, I need to learn a lot more on fabrication but my spouse says I've got til 2034 to get 'er running!

So, glad I am here and I look forward to interesting and educational posts.

Cheers,
Gards

Thanks for the welcomes! I appreciate that! Ok, I'll get some pics up. When we saw her we (my lady and I) loved her. We stopped and went just inside the yard and looked. I yelled up to the house- not too close for fear of being outrun by perhaps a large fanged dog or two, to attract the owner's attraction. I did and long story short, I made arrangements to call the guy if we thought about getting her. Well, we did! Since November, she's been ours and I even made the fort a little bigger to accommodate her. We managed to get a rear seat from a mini-van which fits and we sat in her the first time on New Years Eve toasting 2011 and our blessings with Fireball . As I said, she's a long term project, but she great!

34 Chev 1.5 project to complete before she's 100

So we saw her and how could we not fall in love? You don't think about everything you have to do but more of what you CAN do...

Attachments

• from SSI 103.jpg
    from SSI 103.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 13
  • from SSI 104.jpg
    from SSI 104.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 11
  • from SSI 111.jpg
    from SSI 111.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 1934 Chev.jpg
    1934 Chev.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 12
toasted fireball

welcome from just a little north of you,Vanderhoof. thats a sweet lookin truck for starters. and sittin in her and toastin the new year with momma ? right on . now get to work were waiting for more.[cl[cl

Thanks, now where would you start?

Thanks again for all the welcomes, now thats a family!

So, as you see, I got the truck; She used to originally live in North Dakota. That being said, the place I got her from on SaltSpring Island has many other vehicles, some I took pictures of and will post them on the site soon. The owner, Bruce, has got so many, all of which are for sale or being worked on for a customer, I asked him one time, how does he keep it all together- he told me he works on one of them for a while then one another and then something else. I guess you really can't have too many :D
As for "BigBolt"... Right now, She's is under cover with enough room to move around her and I've sprayed her with that rust preventer/storage fogging spray so at least some of the moisture has been defeated for the time being. I don't have a 220 Mig, and only a 110, a buddy of mine says he's got a buzzbox- cool. The 110 Mig will be able to weld up a new metal cage to replace the wood though since thats all rotten.

That said, I did take both outside wheels of the dualies off (man, what a challenge to begin with) and replace the fronts with them since those were chewed up and rotten- least now she sits properly. Though on gravel...as I said though, she's reasonably dry. I am hesitant to take her apart during this time of year as the weather is cool, damp and of course it gets dark early. Hey, working outside is like that at this time of year, of course.

Latest posts

Back