Just wondering

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
If you owned a company and were taking applications for a position, would you consider hiring a person who didn't know the different between there, their and they're or who used u instead of you, ur instead of you are. Or didn't use caps and punctuation?
I will be sharing the results of this thread with my teen age daughter who is almost 15 and needs to get a summer job, but also trying to prepare her to go out into the world.

Not a chance! In the professional world, I cannot stand people who can't spell or don't know proper grammar.

If you're going to be sharing this thread with your teenage daughter, I'd like to add a few more points that may help her in the future.

Dear Willowbilly3's daughter:

Your generation is not going to be able to make a living with a high school diploma. It used to be that people would graduate high school, learn a trade, work at a factory, drive a truck or turn a wrench and make a decent living. With the world's economy moving towards a global economy, manufacturing of day-to-day and simple stuff has decreased drastically in this country. Unless you are capable of generating intelectual property, you won't make a comfortable living.

Why do you think U.S. has the highest manufacturing output (in dollar) but everything you buy on a daily basis is Chinese? Why do you think U.S. has the highest number of patents in force in the world? We are moving away from producing simple stuff like tooth brushes, washing machines, lamps and so forth and becoming a "high tech" manufacturing country. Semi-conductors, avaiation technology, medical technology, military technology and so forth are our top exports. Unless you can get on the "high tech" path, you won't be making a comfortable living.

Make wise, calculated decision and remember that you can't turn back the clock. I wish you the best of luck!

If you owned a company and were taking applications for a position, would you consider hiring a person who didn't know the different between there, their and they're or who used u instead of you, ur instead of you are. Or didn't use caps and punctuation?
I will be sharing the results of this thread with my teen age daughter who is almost 15 and needs to get a summer job, but also trying to prepare her to go out into the world.

It would depend on what the position was. Minimum wage, do you want fries with that burger? Poor grammar is probably OK. You don't have to know how to spell, to do dishes or bus tables.

Fortunately she is a bright articulate person but that text language (ebonics?) has crept into our kids lives and is widely accepted. She is also a 4 gpa student and plans to go to college.

No, I would not hire someone who could not communicate effectively. I work at a youth facility and the regulating bodies will not pay for our services if we are unable to clearly document. Poor writing ability costs money.

As a business owner, I would not consider anyone who cannot spell or speak correctly! Shows me that they don't care. Probably my biggest gripe is the word "like". If you took that word out of the english language half of the kids today couldn't hold a conversation! WB, tell your daughter to do her best on the grammer and good luck with her search....CR

When I was hiring engineers (personal care products factory) the ability to read, write and speak well was very important.
When hiring Shop Mechanic/Machinists the ability to read was high. The ability to speak intelligently was important and the ability to write adequately was necessary.
People that started out as assembly line workers and who could read, write and speak well became supervisors and managers. The others didn't.

In my 33 years in the facility the plant culture went from fairly formal and very respectful to aggressive, foul and vulgar.

When the Valley Girl/Text Generation becomes the managers and executives of tomorrow, who knows what they will think is important???

I would hire them. To dig ditches or most other hard physical labor. If it was anything that required dealing with people I would not, it gives a poor representation of the company.

To Willowbilly 3's Daughter,

The world of 'short form' used in texting, is likely one of the worst things and habits that a younger person can be involved in, as far as education goes. It undermines the core of spelling and grammer. An interviewer quit often does not see you when they review your written job request, only your written word. This alone has to, and does convey your intelligence, yourself respect, and worldly knowledge up to that point in your life. Simply put, if you sound like a Bozo, you will be seen as a Bozo. The world is hard, your education is your armor. The better your education, the stronger your armor. Sound hokey? It won't when you get older. Get a good education, use it, and show the world who you really are. Best wishes.

A very limited of amount of verbal slang will be tolerated at most companies trying to recruit young talent, but you MUST be able to write effective communications with correct usage of words, esp ones that spell-check doesn't catch.

Ex, one I see alot is "strait" vs. "straight". One is a canal or passage and one is a direction. C'mon!

I've seen a few young stars come in with great grades and resumes, but when they open thier mouth....lose 90% of thier credibility.

I personally wish I had paid more attention to the "stupid" things my English teachers were trying to teach me in High School, instead of getting my education from Hot Rod magazines hidden in my school book. I didn't realize how often we need to use proper punctuation, spelling, and grammar in general in our everyday lives. When I got into the business world I found out how dumb I was, and had to learn by making a lot of mistakes. Even today, I have to refer to Miriam Webster a lot to get the proper spelling for something, when posting on a forum or email.

Just last week I went to a garage sale and met a retired English teacher. He was telling me that the majority of the kids coming out of school today are very ill equipped to survive in the world. The schools are concentrating on the wrong subjects and goals, and our graduates are coming out only qualified for the burger joint and mall clothing store jobs. You will be doing your Daughter a HUGE favor if you get her some after school additional education so that she can walk into a job interview and not look like the majority of the kids who show up and get rejected.

Another thing that kids are not being taught are social graces. It is VERY rare to hold a door for some young kid and have him look you in the eye and say "Thank you". It always bugs the h*** out of me when I do that and they look down and walk in the open door and totally ignore you, as if you were SUPPOSED to hold it for them! Manners are SO important.

Don

NO! A job application should be business formal. Would she go to an interview in sweatpants and expect to be taken seriously? An employer will judge a book by its cover. They don't have time or money to waste otherwise. It's the law of supply and demand. Try to go against that and you will fail. Welcome to the real world.

Obviously you haven't seen recent job apps

If you didn't hire someone because they couldn't spell you might not hire anyone in todays applicants.... have you seen any high school or college grad job applications.... it's unbelieveable. Had a applicant for a secretary for the boss, she spelled the word Chef..... my boss is the "Chief"... that'll work..... I blame a lot of this on "outcome based" education..... doesn't matter if they use proper grammer or spelling as long as the content is there... what a load of.....
Anyway, its appalling that proper grammer and spelling is not emphasized like it use to be...... .... to much reliance on spell check and "ask a friend"...
JMHO (guess I'm showing my age)

Prove a point

Sort of tells the story....lol

Attachments

• school.jpg
    school.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 7
Being a college part time instructor I had to take a course called. "Dealing with the millennium children". This course deal with this generation starting college and coming into the work force.

Well guess what the spilling and grammar is the future and WE (teachers and interviewer) have to change to deal with it. Also business got to deal with mommy coming along with Jr's for his interview and also her calling to make sure Jr gets the job.

I also got word I got to take a course called "Hostility in the work place". I got some info about this course and we are in trouble. If you talk about guns, hunting and killing animals you are hostile. If someone is in harms way and you grab a hold of them to keep them from being hurt you are hostile. As a boss you have to ask them to do there work. If you demand them to do it you are hostile. If you walk by someone and lightly punch them on the arm and say good job, you are hostile.

Something to think about.

Last edited:
If she's using this in "Texting" only or instant messaging online I'd say she's ok or even if you were talking to someone whom is a prospective employ the same as above. Typing with one finger is hard and slow, texting sucks so I use as little effort as possible.

Two of the smartest people I grew up with could not spell. One of them pulled a 3.9 gpa all the way through law school and the other is a brilliant artist today. That is a little different deal than just flat lazy, which is what I see when people write without caps or punctuation, or using text language on a job application, forum or any place other than a text. People who don't know the different in to or too, their or there, I'm not sure what that's about but it bothers me to read it.
Lack of good communication skills doesn't mean bad employee. I know lots of really good loyal, hard working people who can't do written communication very well. Places for those people to make a good living are disappearing fast.
Of course they will always be dirty work, but the illegals have that pretty tied up.
I type with 2 fingers and have to proof read everything I write because I make so many typos.

Latest posts

Back