Look what people are scrapping

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
man...i would live to have the tailgate.. save me alot of trouble building one..

It is truly a shame to see good steel going for junk. I had thought about how could we (old car & truck enthusiasts) create a network for saving the ones out there in fields, barns, junkyards, etc that are solid enough to be salvaged and save the parts from those which are not (like a lot in Tenn. junkyards), usually gone from the knees done, but still have a lot of parts made of unobtainium. Any ideas on how to make this a reality?

...and it has the rare gmc engine too...

Couple weeks ago i saw a rust free straight 67 chevy longbox on the wrecker going into u-pull-it with some smoke damage. it had an impound sticker on it so it has had a chance to be rescued but i didnt get a shot at it..if I'd have only been at the auction with a few bucks...

I did pretty good on my junk 6.2 diesel after it threw a rod. I got $150 for the injector pump, $50 for the starter, and $86 for the longblock for scrap.

when my 700r4 went out i didnt have the $$$ to get it rebuilt and threw in a good spare th400. the ol 6.2 with 160k on her grew up in front of an overdrive in a half ton and didn't like the 4:11's in the 1 ton i had it in.
After a year she just gave up trying.
I put in a 350. to make up for not having an overdrive I found another rearend with 3.21:1 ratio for $100 and a pair of chevy doors and swapped that gearset over to mine. while i was in there I found out I had a posi.

I used to work for u-pull-it. they didnt sell cars either but if you worked there, and they hadn't sent the title off for salvage yet they'd let you buy them out on something you wanted to rescue... I saved a few. I miss not having to buy gas...even if it was nasty old varnish gas it was free.

I got almost $40 for the leftover rearend housing (GM 14 bolt) for iron. I thought i'd save it for later but after looking around the place and wondering where I was going to put it I decided to get rid of it before it destroyed the inside of my bed.

Saving old tin

Binky you have the right idea, this could be the right place to get things done, all it takes is 1 thread started with something like " This is what I found and can't buy it, anyone else want it ? "
" But the times they are a changing " Money keeps the wheels greasy, and there are people out there that would have no problem buying something just to flip it to make a buck, I am not saying there's anything bad with that, but that's not what I got into this game to do, I hope someone will start the thread and the people here will contribute to it, not for profit but just trying to save old tin, let those who need the parts, buy it and use them, not just to strip and sell, we have enough scrap yards or junk jards or recycling yards, whatever you want to call them, those guys are in business to make money, I am here for the hobby side of it, and to interact with what I think are some of todays greatest minds in the Hotrod, Ratrod, Custom, car world,

Scrapping

I love old vehicles. I have been seeing nice thing going to the scrap yard .I get old vehicle and strip them carefully. First i dismount the tires and glass and them take them to the recycle center. Empty all fluids and give them to my friend that has a waste oil furnace. remove anything that good or useable and list on ebay or Craigslist. Then when there is nothing usable left take that to the scrap yard. I have two trucks i have built from this system . I think that this preserve this hobby and lifestyle. I am aware that this economy forces guys to just think of money.

Attachments

• redmans 067.jpg
    redmans 067.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 16
  • redmans 070.jpg
    redmans 070.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
My 48 K-B-2

I got this 48 International near my home reasonable. Here some photos of the build.With a carb rebuild and tune-up it ran great. Where the original gas tank was riveted to the frame was cracked and starting to rust because scale had got between the bracket and frame rail.{see photo] I ground down the excessive holes in the frame and MIGed them closed. I have done about 40 of them. I have ripped everything out of the cab to start building a new floor. I will post more photos as work progresses. This should be driveable this spring. I use only old trucks for my business.

Attachments

• redmans 065.jpg
    redmans 065.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 5
  • redmans 068.jpg
    redmans 068.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 7
  • feb4ebay 003.jpg
    feb4ebay 003.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 8
  • feb4ebay 007.jpg
    feb4ebay 007.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 7
  • feb4ebay 026.jpg
    feb4ebay 026.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 5
Networking

I very much like the idea of networking to save vehicles from going for scrap that can be used for raw materials for projects. I will create a page on my website for such. I am redmanschevys on ebay. poisonivyguy.vpweb.com

Attachments

• august 24th 031.jpg
    august 24th 031.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
That's bad but I think we are going to see more and more of this as times get harder and people have to choose between a project they may never get to or grocery money.

That's bad but I think we are going to see more and more of this as times get harder and people have to choose between a project they may never get to or grocery money.

Or Meth

I'm very angry over this deal, I have started on a plan to help save these old cars, trucks, tractors and other pieces of great American history. I'll start a blog about it sometime today.

While I love to save old steel and hard to find parts, sometimes over the years I have been guilty of doing it as well. There were times we were moving out of State and just couldn't take stuff with us and had no time to sell it. Sometimes you just get tired of having stuff in your way and want it out of your life, so you take the easiest route.

We put a perfectlly good 429 Ford engine in a dumpster one time because we were moving that week and the engine was just one more issue we didn't have time to deal with. I have also told a junkman who stopped by to take some car or part away because I was tired of it sitting in my yard or because the wife was harping about it being there.

The final reason I have scrapped stuff is because dealing with tire kickers and people who promise to show up and don't becomes a real pain in the butt sometimes. I have run ads that specifically spell out that the car has no drivetrain and inevitably get calls asking if I think the car runs well enough to make it to Chicago! :eek: Or, I'll be there at 5 oclock and they never show up.

I just hauled a 454 shortblock, some good early 302 heads, and other stuff to the scrap yard and got $ 115.00 for it. Hated to do it, but the stuff was taking up space and I had taken the heads to 2 swap meets and no buyers, so they had to go.

Don

Latest posts

Back