Lowering question...be gentle boys.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScaryVoodooGirl

Ok, so I'm thinking on the Comet I'll eventually go with 2 or 3 inch blocks, taking out a leaf from each side in the back and then cutting up to a coil's length on the springs up front (or replacing them all together). I think with the skirts and lower profile tires it'll give me the low look I'm going for and still give me decent clearance underneath for exhaust etc....

I've read though that blocks etc will make for a bumpier ride...how bumpy are we talking? this is going to be my daily driver and I don't mind it a little tougher than normal, but not looking for something ridiculous.

I guess I'm just looking for people's experiences with the setup (or something similar) that I've mentioned.

Cheers!

I would replace the fronts or find another method...
a lowering block shouldn't give a different ride I wouldn't think... removing a leaf will change the spring rate, both should be alright how many leafs are on the rears?

ah no low profile tires, don't do it! they will give you a poor ride.

I removed a total of 5 leaves from my leaf pack....it's going to be a **** ride so I am doing a Air Over Leaf setup eventually to assist with the ride. One thing to consider if you move leaves is axle wrap.

I agree that the low profile tires give a bad ride. My Son had them on his Honda years ago and we took a trip to Lousiana. We felt every seam in the interstate and it was bone jarring at times. When we got back he put his stock wheels and tires on.

2 inch blocks won't be as noticable as the 3 inchers regarding ride quality, but any time you alter suspension in any way it does make a difference. We all do it, but you just have to learn to live with the end results.

Don

I would go with what you said originally, excrpt I wouldn't remove a leaf, unless necessary! Three inch block shouldn't be too harsh!
What I'm saying is, do it without spending money first, then do whatever needs to be done! JMO!!

I rode around in a newer Chrysler 300 that was lowered and has 20" low profiles..I know what you mean about the bumps...mylanta!

Alright, so no lower profile tires...Larger tires then to give it the illusion of being lower? 14 or 15 inch perhaps? I'm going to wait on tires either way until she's pretty much done. Might get lucky and get the right look by just dropping the car and adding skirts..maybe...just maybe it'll look smashing. I can pretend, right?

smaller rims with normal sized tires. are you loooking to do a budget suspension or are you avoiding fabrication or something in particular?

I'm doing alot of this in my garage at my place, and trading away tattoo work for parts/time from family and friends. So in a sense, I guess you could call it a budget build. I don't want to go giving away a crap load of tattoo time haha. I'm willing to put out money/time on certain things, no problem. But the suspension on the car is in good condition that I think with the mods it should be good to go. I've got a client at a mechanic/autobody shop who is going to be ordering parts on their bill and I tattoo them to that amount, but I don't want it to get super crazy. Ideally I'd like to have this whole thing done and on the road for under 5grand haha

I'm doing alot of this in my garage at my place, and trading away tattoo work for parts/time from family and friends. So in a sense, I guess you could call it a budget build. I don't want to go giving away a crap load of tattoo time haha. I'm willing to put out money/time on certain things, no problem. But the suspension on the car is in good condition that I think with the mods it should be good to go. I've got a client at a mechanic/autobody shop who is going to be ordering parts on their bill and I tattoo them to that amount, but I don't want it to get super crazy. Ideally I'd like to have this whole thing done and on the road for under 5grand haha

That works, well is your leaf over or under your axle? If its under, try to see if there is enough room to throw the axle over the leafs, also thats the only way that you can use blocks.

Me however I am going to be doing a Air Over Leaf setup, I removed quite a few leafs from the pack - it lowered it about 3-5 inches (I have a dually 1 ton truck), but I'm concerned that the ride will be horrible so I'm going to do the air over leafs, it's going to cost about 3-400 for the whole setup but it will be WELL worth it and I won't have to do a 4 link setup either.

I found a website, that you can get 4 bags for the price of 2 - they're not top of the line but they are good enough for my budget build.

The axle is over the leafs, which is why I thought of blocks in the first place. Are bags hard to install? I was under the impression they'd be alot more than that for some reason...I've just been reading budget build threads and the majority of them talk about using the block/leaf method.

The axle is over the leafs, which is why I thought of blocks in the first place. Are bags hard to install? I was under the impression they'd be alot more than that for some reason...I've just been reading budget build threads and the majority of them talk about using the block/leaf method.

They're not hard, but for a universal application it takes a little knowledge on fabricating. The issue with removing leafs is axle wrap and catastrophic failure.

Ok, so I'm thinking on the Comet I'll eventually go with 2 or 3 inch blocks, taking out a leaf from each side in the back and then cutting up to a coil's length on the springs up front ....

Blocks on the rear shouldn't affect the ride very much, taking leafs out should soften the ride. have to watch and make sure not to take out too many, or you will overload the leafs that are left, causing a negative arch to them, think ^ instead of this v.

Cutting a coil spring will make it shorter, but will also make it stiffer, so a harder ride. Even a half a coil cut off will be stiffer than a full length coil. Might be OK, and then again you might want to look for some coils that are shorter with the same rate rating. Fox Mustang coils might work, just do your reasearch.

As far as tires go, the lower the profile number, usually the stiffer the ride. I have 15" 60 series tires on my Maverick, and it rides fine. Those "truck size" wheels, 17" and up, with the super low profile 45 and lower tires look like crap and ride like it too. Remember the tire sidewall size is what gives it it's ride, tall = good ride, short = stiffer ride. Leave those "truck size" wheels to the ghetto crowd.....

I've been reading all the information I can find on Comets/Falcons. Whoa. So far everything I've read suggests that rather than going with a 3" block I should go a 2" and remove one leaf per side, which will effectively lower it about 3 inches anyways. A 3 inch block with the 13" tires would put it below the scrape line. I think when it comes to the front I will just end up buying a pair of shorter coils when the time comes. Really, a couple hundred is worth ease of mind.

In terms of axle wrap...would only removing 1 leaf per side be that bad? I can see with multiple leaves....and have read somewhere in the myriad of pages about a brace/mount you can use to prevent it...I'll have to read more on that later...right now, I need more coffee

I've been reading all the information I can find on Comets/Falcons. Whoa. So far everything I've read suggests that rather than going with a 3" block I should go a 2" and remove one leaf per side, which will effectively lower it about 3 inches anyways. A 3 inch block with the 13" tires would put it below the scrape line. I think when it comes to the front I will just end up buying a pair of shorter coils when the time comes. Really, a couple hundred is worth ease of mind.

In terms of axle wrap...would only removing 1 leaf per side be that bad? I can see with multiple leaves....and have read somewhere in the myriad of pages about a brace/mount you can use to prevent it...I'll have to read more on that later...right now, I need more coffee

Good good :) read read read! I am still in the learning process myself so share all you got!

Removing 1 leaf shouldn't cause an issue, me on the other hand am a bit concerned, I removed 4 total leafs per side...I went from 10 leafs to 6. I think I'm crazy :)

might as well clean/paint the leaf springs if I"m going to be taking them apart to remove a leaf...any suggestions as to how to clean/prep the springs for paint? I've found lots of suggestions for paint to use, but not so much on cleaning/prep work.

might as well clean/paint the leaf springs if I"m going to be taking them apart to remove a leaf...any suggestions as to how to clean/prep the springs for paint? I've found lots of suggestions for paint to use, but not so much on cleaning/prep work.

What are you planning to paint it with? Check out POR15, it's Paint Over Rust. Prep would be sand it down to bare metal, hit it with a cleaner, prime then paint. The benefit of POR15 is no prep!

When I disassemble a spring pack I clean all the leafs with a wire wheel on a grinder, clean with metal prep, prime and paint with a good quality enamel. Before the spring pack is reassembled put a good coating of grease between each leaf to prevent noise and keep them moving smoothly. Not a hard job...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back