MIG welding defective teeth on window mechanism

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karambos

The rear passenger-side window on my 49 Ford Custom isn't closing properly so I investigated and found that the last few teeth on the window winding mechanism have been worn down. Consequently, it closes to within an inch at the top then the mechanism no longer bites. I enclose a picture.

So I asked around and it seems you can repair these by placing a "tack" weld on the end of the teeth with a wire feed welder, then filing down until the teeth mesh.

However, I don't have a tack welder, nor do I know how that works. But I would like to learn how. So I'd like to invest in a MIG welder. Has anyone on here got any advice as to what to look for/ not look for in a welder. Brand names to look out for/ avoid or anything else you can think of for someone starting out.[;)

wornteeth.jpg

well what do you want it to be able to do with it other than the tooth problem?
do you want to use gas or flux cored wire?
how much are you looking to spend --
what size power source (plug)?
all important questions.

Do you have any friends with a small wire feed welder you could borrow? Thats a big investment for what you need to do. Sounds like you're using the tooth problem as an excuse to buy a welder? If that's the case - more power to you! [cl

Anyway, Colton hit the very first questions you need to answer. A 110v will be cheaper, but you won't be able to do frame work with it. They may say in the specs that it'll do frame thickness metal, but it just isn't safe for critical welds that thick. You need a 220v machine for that. If possible get a 220v for that reason. For body work, gas is the way to go. Flux core (gasless) is messy and hotter (more heat=warped panels).

Miller, Lincoln, Hobart.... the off brand stuff will do the job, but better quality tools do a better quality job. Stay away from the discount Harbor Freight stuff.

Basically, common sense is telling me that if I'm going to make a go of this car, I'm going to need to do some welding along the way. I've thought about taking an evening class just to get me started but in the meantime, I thought I'd ask around to get a feel for what's involved. This job seems like a good place to get started. I'm going to ask friends if I can borrow one, I think.

44750_147295268633822_100000600497544_326192_1990341_n.jpg

cost a lil over a grand but it's a nice welder, i can weld 110v or 220v by changing the plug

How long ya had that? Any negatives about it? I just bought a 211 a week ago. Happy so far. It's seems like a little beefier 180 plus the 110 capabilities for quick light work.

dont matter if he has 220 in the garage, it has the option to run that by changing out the plug its just a nice feature that doesnt cost alot more. i love this welder, ive use it to weld in 3 IFS setups with it .035 wire and the 220v plug. to me its worth the extra money to have both plugs, oh yeah i hardly every use the autoset

dont matter if he has 220 in the garage, it has the option to run that by changing out the plug its just a nice feature that doesnt cost alot more. i love this welder, ive use it to weld in 3 IFS setups with it .035 wire and the 220v plug. to me its worth the extra money to have both plugs, oh yeah i hardly every use the autoset

does matter if can afford a grand though.

The rear passenger-side window on my 49 Ford Custom isn't closing properly so I investigated and found that the last few teeth on the window winding mechanism have been worn down. Consequently, it closes to within an inch at the top then the mechanism no longer bites. I enclose a picture.

So I asked around and it seems you can repair these by placing a "tack" weld on the end of the teeth with a wire feed welder, then filing down until the teeth mesh.

However, I don't have a tack welder, nor do I know how that works. But I would like to learn how. So I'd like to invest in a MIG welder. Has anyone on here got any advice as to what to look for/ not look for in a welder. Brand names to look out for/ avoid or anything else you can think of for someone starting out.[;)

wornteeth.jpg

Hey buddy, I would be willing to bet that my regulators out of my 48 Ford truck could be used to repair yours. If you need one or both just let me know and they're yours.

Hey buddy, I would be willing to bet that my regulators out of my 48 Ford truck could be used to repair yours. If you need one or both just let me know and they're yours.

didnt even think about it but if my 50s window ones would work your also
welcome to have them as well --

Latest posts

Back