more of a rant

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butchman_3

ok, im building a rat, yes i know its not a show queen car and that its rusty and all, but thats my preferance, but around my area, there might be a handfull of true rat rods. most people in my area are ignorant of a "true rat" compared to some of the people that are flat blacking a junker car that half way runs that i wouldnt go 30 feet in it much less 30 mph in. are there other people on here that deal with that type of attitude of the reputation of the junkers out there and catch slack for your rat that ya built?

If you need the acceptance of others then you're not building it for you.
Who cares what others think,do or say.Build it.drive it and enjoy it.

If you need the acceptance of others then you're not building it for you.
Who cares what others think,do or say.Build it.drive it and enjoy it.

Couldn't agree more, screw what they think - its your car, your build, your money just make sure YOU like it.

understand that

im building it how i want and with what i like, i dont care what anyone thinks. just aggravating getting slack from "car guys" for a rat, i respect anyone who works or builds their own car. let me rephrase this, the "car guys" that buy their car already decked out and finished and cant tell ya a thing about the car except the make model and the typical bs.

beatdeadhorse5.gif

yep, horsehorsehorseshorsehorsehorsehorsehorsehorsehors ehorse

just tell them you want to paint it and are taking donations:D

just let it go, as stated, build it for you, JUST BUILD IT SAFE. so many people put crappy parts on or use rebar for steering pieces.

dmw56, did you ''borrow'' B E D's dead horse?[S

the new guys always ask this, just part of the learning curve.[P

Later :cool:

Last edited:
i know its been discussed before

just really aggravates me, aside from you "ratties" as my g/f is calling ya, no one else understands the aggravation, i know every car or truck that gets built there is heart, soul and piece of the builder put into them. why rats have such personality and character. even the chassis' we build at the shop each have their own "quirks" about them, even though they are off a jig. sorry to bring up a dead horse from the last beating.... ill bury it again now lol

It's sorta like the movie, "Field of Dreams"; build it and they will come. You will be surprised how many people will enjoy seeing your rat rod when it is running and on the road.

A well-built rat rod will draw the people that do things for themselves. They are the only ones you really want to impress anyway.

As an aside, I thought we were done criticizing one RRR member's material selection. That's the dead horse that needs no further beating in my opinion. I have a hunch that the rebar is so oversized for the application that it will not fail. I doubt it is any worse than a lot of the Chinese steel I've been seeing.

We never talk about the freedom a RoughRod brings and I believe that is what's drawing more people to building these. It's much more relaxing driving/showing a RR because you're not worrying about someone scratching it or if it's going to rain. You can load up your buddies and go cruising without worrying about messing up your car. When I'm out in one of my slick cars I'm never really relaxed, in a RR I can be.

I use the term "RoughRod" because I don't like what the term "RatRod" has become since all the junker/cartoon cars have hit the scene.

Build it the way you want and build it for ourself. There is always more people that will down play your ride than say they like it. Make it safe, drivable and well built. The 49 I built was in two shows and I had the only "RoughRod" there. I had alot of people nit/pick the direction I was going but not a single person bad mouthed my work, I had more thumbs up about my work from the guys there with $40,000.00 cars. And for me that is what it is all about, knowing you did a good job building a ride.

rat build

When you go to the tag office get you a specialty tag. MY RAT. Screw opinions and critics, You have a point about the idiots taking their mom's grocery getter,painting it flat black,red rims and calling it a rat rod.:cool:

at least you have a handfull of true rats, NONE where Im at, they are all show cars, or slicked up hotrodders, definatly no rats.

I was at a little mini hot rod show sat (mini as in 10 cars) at a local BBQ joint. and I started talking to a few guys about how much I wanted to Z the front end, and how LOW I wanted it........... they all got a frown on their face when they found out I was a RAT

Although I thought it was funny when the main guy I was talking to, told me he didnt BUILD the car (32 ford) but bought it finished, "although I have done alot of work on it":rolleyes::cool::rolleyes: he didnt offer that info up untill I started asking detailed questions:rolleyes:

FUGEM!! Im building my RAT how I want to!! Im sure there will be a few here that disagree with my approach, but hey its my rat my build, and Im the one driving it!! (the wife dosent even want to be seen in it[cl[cl

i'll fes-up, i'm not a rat rodder, i am building a traditional early 50's hot rod. I think the only differance is i have paint and interior, as long as it's safe who gives a crap! When i go to car shows i look at all the hot rods, including rat rods, why? because i learn from them. nuf said, build it, drive it, enjoy it

Latest posts

Back