my 39 dodge build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great Truck !

paint went on today:D finally get to do fun clean work.monday night the cabs going on and the new engine is going in.i never thought this day would come.ill get better pics moday

Hey, I really like your truck. I'm starting on a 39 plymouth truck, and just had a couple of questions, if I could. Is the front spring a "standard" speedway spring ? I'm putting a 392 hemi in my truck, and was concerned about the weight of the engine, but your 440 may be almost as heavy. The hemi is just under 700#.
Is the rear your using something I could find ? I think you said a 9 1/4 mopar ? dana 60 ? or something else ? Thanks for your time. I appreciate you letting me know. And again, great truck !

thanks! yep the front end is a std speedway kit.my rear end was out of a 75 chrysler new yorker,but a newer 9 1/4 dakota with disc brakes would be another option and a little narrower all though the bolt pattern is 5 on 5.5

Its my understanding the hemi dressed out is over 800lbs, not including the trans. (unless you are planning on running some aluminum parts like intake and heads)

It may be close to 800#, I think I'll call posies for a spring suggestion, and shop the pieces for the front end. I go by Pete and Jakes once in awhile, would save the shipping ! Probably use a 9" Ford for the rear.

ive been bustin azz to try and get this thing running by friday.want to take it to a local show and would rather drive it then tow it.lot of things wont be finished but its getting close.

Attachments

• 0621120012-00.jpg
    0621120012-00.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 0621120013-00.jpg
    0621120013-00.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 0621120014-00.jpg
    0621120014-00.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 93
know the feeling of trying to rush things along. I am trying to get mine ready by the end of July maybe. For sure by the first of September. I think yours is a lot closer to being done than mine.

not sure what to call it but i like it anyway:D took my first drive tonight.it was only a couple miles to make sure the trans shifted ok and it would stay cool ect. and everything went well.think the plugs are a little cold and the carbs fat trys to load up some times but overall nothing i cant work out. after this weekend ill get some glass and the rest of the interior stuff done and all the other stuff.fun as hell to drive:cool:

took the 39 dodge and the wifes 66 mustang to a local show today and waited around for the awards because we though my wifes mustang could do pretty good in her class.....i about fell over:)

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 54
im working on the rest of the front end wiring,license plate mounts,horn ,mirrors and all the other crap to make it totally street legal.even with baffles in the pipes its still pretty loud so im shure at some point ll get pulled over [cl i think im going to have to make a spacer for the scoop so i can get rid of the paper filters and run taller k&n filters.seems to clean up some even at idle with the filters removed,havent really got a chance to wring it out yet.figured i should put at least a few easy miles on it first.
heres a short video the wife took when i went on my 1st test drive the other dayhttp://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/derbyking/video/?action=view&current=39truck002.mp4

i got most of the interior done,my horn mounted,all the lights wired,and installed a so cal steering dampner that made it drive like a new car.still got alot of little crap to do.later on im planning on doing a alumium bed cover and matching door panels with some bead rolls and rivits.

the only issue ive had so far with everything working correctly is the temp creeps up around 220 when i drive at highway speeds,i think i might be getting some turbulence over the fans thats messing up the air flow.its been in the high 90's and 100's here lately and i can cruize around town all i want and it stays around 185.i think i might turn the fans off and rip down the road see witch way the blades tend to spin,i had a big debate with myself early on weather to blow the air down or pull it up and choose the later thinking air from under the truck would come up through the box.i might have to make up some air dams and see what happens.its possible the pump might be having some cavitation also but i ran it a almost 2 grand during cam break in for 20-30 min and it didnt go over 185.
ill get some new pics up soon im having issues getting them to load

heres some pics....im ready to get glass now

Attachments

• bday party 020.JPG
    bday party 020.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 63
  • bday party 025.JPG
    bday party 025.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 65
  • bday party 029.JPG
    bday party 029.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 58