My first build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrjangles

THIS IS A 1990 MAZDA TRUCK. IVE CHOPPED OFF THE TOP. GOT THE FRONT CLIP OFF. GOT THE BED OFF. NOW READY FOR SOME FRAME WORK AND ALOT OF FABRICATION. I KNOW THAT NOONE ON THIS SITE HAS SEEN A MAZDA TRUCK TURNED INTO A RAT ROD. BUT I LIKE TO BE DIFFERENT LOL. AND ALSO THE TRUCK WAS GIVEN TO ME. SO THE WAY THE TRUCK SITS I AM 98 DOLLARS TO THE GOOD AFTER SCRAP METAL WAS SOLD LOL

2011-10-03_19-26-04_281.jpg

That'll work... Chase the profile--- drop it down 6" (rear blocks and chop the front coils--if it has em), move the engine/cab back 14" - chop the windshield down a foot (a wet tile saw maybe) - put a little shorty PU step side kinda bed on it.- stick on a tractor grill/rad - Rattle can it--Ya gots a hot rod for pocket change..

It's all good.

PA41

im not trying to turn this into a tech thread but when u say move everything back. do u mean leave the frame alone and move cab and engine only or do u cut the frame and shorten and extend?

tim...ok:

yeah the way u see it only took a couple days lol. it was a 90 mazda with a blown engine on friday. by sunday afternoon it is like the pic above =] one of my favorite things to do is the tear down

im not trying to turn this into a tech thread but when u say move everything back. do u mean leave the frame alone and move cab and engine only or do u cut the frame and shorten and extend?

Ifitwuzme--I'd just slide the cab back on the frame and fab up some new mounts. Cutting the frame is a little more work than I'd want to do and kinda defeats the cheep-quick-N-eazy line you look to be following.

Years back I bought a whole bunch of Dodge D-50/Mitsubichi pickups (12-15), and I've often considered doing something like you've started. It all seems so reasonable--all the brakes/steering/suspension are there--just need a little re-aranging..

The area of the cab in front of the front door up to the firewall needs a little sheetmetal or bondo or foam/resin or something to make it look like a cowl--probably the bigest part of the job to get to look right--got some compound curves and all..

Does the front suspension have torsion bars? Makes it easer to lower if so, but coils are easy to shorten-just use a cutting disk on your grinder ..

I like real simple basic ratting like this--the soul of the culture..

Keep on with it..[cl

PA41

ive been googlein for weeks looking for another mazda thats been chopped and rodded lol i like it. and thanks for the advice... yes makin it look to have more of a cowl is def in my plans. i like the rounded look on the front side of the cab. i would love to convert the front suspension to coil overs. im just way mor familiar with that system. i have a few good ideas for the bed.
although my next thing on the list is getting the engine and trans and of course rebuiling the engine. im thinking chevy 350. just keep it simple and also becasue there are thousands of people selling 350 parts and its all cheap lol

im actually thinking of putting a base/clear paint job on it. i just cant decide on colors. desicions desicions. any opinions?

so did some things to the truck last night.... i removed the interior completely. got it to bare cab. then removed the cab. which suprisingly pretty dagum heavy. anyways. after the cab was removed i decided how far back i wanted the cab to go. made some marks and got out the grinder. the rear cab mounts stayed in the same place. as for the front cab mounts... they were cut and relocated. i had to notch the rear of the cab for the slope of the frame after moving it back. which wasnt bad. i like where the cab sits now. i just need the cab lower. any suggestions on how i should do it. now keep in mind im a bigger guy so i dont want to lose any feet room lol

here are some pics because this forums is all about pics =]

im very open to all suggestions thanks =]
2011-10-08_21-54-50_586.jpg

2011-10-08_21-55-22_820.jpg

2011-10-09_00-03-34_604.jpg

2011-10-09_00-03-06_776.jpg

2011-10-09_00-04-00_306.jpg

2011-10-09_02-40-56_321.jpg

2011-10-09_02-41-03_38.jpg

2011-10-09_02-42-50_561.jpg

I'd be tempted to find a 30's cab to swap over to that frame. With all of the body mounts trimmed off, it's petty close to looking like a 30's frame.

i like the look of the 1930s cabs but not for this build. this is complete budget build with what i got. only thing i should have to buy for this build is motor, trans, and rear end. imma try to make everything else work. i go scrappin once a week. every monday. im trying to use that money to do this truck. and remember this truck was giving to me so i am about 130 bucks to the good from the scrap fun from last monday lol. i do have big plans for something else if i can get the guy to let it go cheap enough. i wanna keep it a secret until i have it in my possession and then ill post pics. but thats a whole different thread lol. as far as this truck goes. its my first "rat rod" so i am gonna try to stick to the basics =]

oh trust me ive been looking i cant find anything cheap enough lol. i guess imma end up at pull apart before its over with lol

That slid back nicely.. I see ya had to notch into the cab to clear the kickup--that'll work fine I bet..

The torsion front sure makes lowering it easy--lowering blocks and bolts for the rear are about all can be done on the cheep/easy. Cutting a notch in the frame for the rear axle or channeling the body gets compliticated for a quicky project, so I'd just get it as low as possible with simple suspension work and move on.

About cheep drivetrains. I tend to find a lot of 80s EFI 5.0 Fords with AODs that run pretty good--going to the crusher.. $100-$150 U pull it from a friend of a friend kinda thing. Buy them by the pound--cause thats all they are gonna get any way.. I have 3 I got that way. Cougars--LTDs etc. One smoked a little--one needed a timeing chain--one ran great. If they are Throttle body they'll carb easy (Holly 2 bbl bolt pattern)--the TPI injection ones are not that complicated to keep-- just get the computer--wireing and pump.. or go carbed using the lower 1/2 of the intake as a carb base, and get an older dizzy. Be sure and get the Drive shaft--they cut down and adapt to brand x rears pretty easy.

Then there's FREE! Bangers with trannies and N V6s. Lotsa imports. Mostly EFI, so you'll have to know how to mess with them (no biggie really) .. Talk it up at work--family etc--theres lotsa busted cars sittin around. Just can't be to perticular, and can't rebuild em and keep a reasonable cheep build alive, so no totally trashed ones. Lotsa bad head gaskets and cracked heads that can fix if you study careful. Sometimes it might take 2-3 freebies to make a good one--gotta scrounge..

Nice thing about a low buck quick build, you get to brag about how little you do and spend to get a driver.

Looking good..

All blue sky.

PA

Only way to get that cab lower is to channel the floor or Z the frame. If you need the leg room, you could bump out the firewall there.

Latest posts

Back