my first rat build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butchman_3

got a 29 chevy truck that im building, got lucky with the wood all being in amazing shape, had to do a package deal to get the parts i want but oh well heres what i started with

Attachments

• rat rod 012.jpg
    rat rod 012.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 149
  • rat rod 009.jpg
    rat rod 009.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 140
been working on it

been working on it in the evenings, trying to change out the wood framing to 1 inch box tubing, been a pain trying to get the radius of the corners and everything

Attachments

• rat rod pics 002.jpg
    rat rod pics 002.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 66
  • rat rod pics 013.jpg
    rat rod pics 013.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 71
  • rat rod pics 015.jpg
    rat rod pics 015.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 62
learning as i go

i cant channel this thing like some people do, since there is only 31 inches from inside of the cowl and if i channel it i will loose any foot space for pedals so i already know this is going to be a stretched out truck, bed will be 4 foot long, then im moving the motor and trans forward about 18 inches and lowering the motor and trans to where the output shaft is dead center of the box tube frame. that will give me about a 6" driveshaft tunnel so im only loosing 3 inches on each side of foot clearance, and im not chopping it, this is going to be a daily driver. here is how it sits now, and this is from working on it for about a week and a half tops.

Attachments

• rat rod 005 (2).jpg
    rat rod 005 (2).jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 86
  • rat rod 7-20.jpg
    rat rod 7-20.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 99
  • rat rod 004 (2).jpg
    rat rod 004 (2).jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 91
  • rat rod 002 (2).jpg
    rat rod 002 (2).jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 86
frame is

the frame im building from 2x3 3/16ths box tube, going to purchase a front suspension kit with disc brakes, wishbones and all that for the front, then s-10 leafs for the back with a 9 inch for the rear. motor is going to be my 383 stroker motor out of my dirt race car with a 2 speed powerglide. another thing im doing is adding a 2" d.o.m. hoop behind the seats with kickers down to mid door frame. set of sparco style racing seats with 5 point harnesses. building this with safety in mind.

Nice work on the cab framing. Looks like you put a lot of thought into saving room in that little cab. Gonna be a cool rod.

thanks Bob

ive got a picture in my head of how i want it to look and if it comes out half as good, ill be extremely happy. and as far as saving space, ive got to, im 6'1" 185 and im the small guy out of the group i run with and will be riding in this thing. im trying to incorporate my dirt track racing knowledge and my monster truck knowledge into this build. and i have a bunch of spare parts laying around that i can use on the build. things go right, im going to start on the frame rails tonight. hoping by the end of the week ill have the cab sitting on it and finish the cab floor and cab bracing. WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR are 2 main things, 1 is a complete passenger side door or a door skin, second is the rings/ clamps for the 9 inch headlights, the ones i have are useable but they are cracked and pieces broke off. the rings are what hold the glass, and everything to the housing, im learning that there are hardly any aftermarket parts at all for any type of 28 to 30 chevy truck, now i know why you dont see hardly any of these trucks on the road.

the rat gods have frowned on me

started to cut my frame rails, got half way through the first cut and ZING! bandsaw blade broke, last one in the shop too, so im kinda stuck right now untill i get some more in, but i figured out how to finish bracing the cowl area, measured out all my parts for the length of the frame and doing some parts chasing. hoping next week ill be able to update some pics. picking up my grill tonight i scored from a buddy, and the price was awesome, FREE! this truck is going to be longer then what i want but, i want some foot room in the cab, size 12 shoes take alot of space.

I thought I was stuffing 6'3" 250# self in a small container with my '38. You had best be limber...

Nice start on a cool ride.

finally got to work

been a bad past 2 weeks, but i finally got some work on the rat done, recieved my front suspension, got it painted and assembled, cut out the old firewall, new firewall welded in, have one small piece at the top to do yet, got the box tubing frame done inside the cowl area. not alot done, but the things i did get done seem like a big steps.

Attachments

• my rat rod 001.jpg
    my rat rod 001.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 65
  • my rat rod 004.jpg
    my rat rod 004.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 77
  • my rat rod 005.jpg
    my rat rod 005.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 62
  • my rat rod 006.jpg
    my rat rod 006.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 56
  • my rat rod 007.jpg
    my rat rod 007.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 60
its been a challenge

for being my first, i dont think i could have picked a harder one to do, of course im my own worst enemy when it comes to criticizing my work, but its coming along.

Score!!!

just scored 2 brand new 9 1/4" headlight bezels that i have been looking for with the gaskets for $65! thats a big thing out of my way now, just so everyone knows, he said he has alot of chevy parts for old vehicles, Dick Moffitts Chevy in Ohio. guy was pretty cool and interested in old cars and trucks. phone number is 937-325-7861. anyone looking for parts, try him, might have what your looking for.

yeppers

i have the complete lights, just the bezels were cracked and broke, the glass in them are perfect, ill be getting the reflectors back from the chrome shop in the next few days, already have the new headlight plugs that use the plug in style bulbs to mount in them. NOW for the other main thing, a passenger side door or door skin, which i might have located one of those, waiting on the guy to call me back. heres a few things done tonight, not a whole lot, but making mock ups and measurements, just a idea of how its going to somehwat look, now im even more excited.

Attachments

• grill 2.jpg
    grill 2.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 51
  • grill 3.jpg
    grill 3.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 54
  • grill 7.jpg
    grill 7.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 72
not sure

a buddy gave it to me, he has had it hanging on his shop wall, he gave it to me for helping swap motors out of his race car. he got it at an auction, so i have no idea what it is or anything, just kinda looks cool and with the big headlights, i think it will look sharp

Latest posts

Back