need some advice

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screw

Hey y'all! Later this spring I hope to take on the task of building my 1st Rat Rod. I am NOT a car builder and don't claim to be one so I'm going to need alot of help. I am however a fairly handy Sheet Metal Mechanic so cutting and welding[;) shouldn't pose to much of a problem plus I work at a machine shop so materials should be easy to come by. I've recruted a friend who is a great guy and a pretty good Mechanic as well. I plan on picking up a truck cab (we have a few to scout out) but I would really like to build my own frame and so that's where I'm stuck already.[S Take a peek at my drawing and tell me. 1.) How does one determine the overall length? 2.) How do you determine the height of #2 & #3 and how do you figure out the length of #4 & #5 ? And the Width? If one of you fine folks could point me in the right direction and help me out with these few questions I'm sure I'd have enough to do so I wouldn't bug you's for a while;)

Attachments

• FRAME PLAN.jpg
    FRAME PLAN.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
The first is usually the hardest, course you are seeing that already, but you need to gather all your parts and build your frame around the parts and not the parts around the frame. First put you a line down on the floor. Reference all your parts off the center of the line front to back and side to side. Mock your parts up to heighth you want cab off ground. Motor heigth in relation to cab and rear end for drive line,the wheels you gona use the type supension dictates the stub out the back length and height. same in front motor lenth from fire wall to past the radiator and front axle heigth if you going to straight axle in front or put it under rails? To many varibles to build frame before you know what you got and how you want it to look. I had a old guy tell me get you a chair and set in it and look at what you got, Imagen how it should look. Build it in your head before you ever start, Hrs spent in that chair will save you days even weeks on your build. Course I had to find out the hard way what the heck does a old man know I aint got time for all that crap. Its easier to straighten it out before you get in and say "what the heck" or some other words of choice. this is just an opion, and they are like ...holes everybody has one. Good luck I'm sure this group will let you know if you take pics and convey what you are going for they can ster you in the rite direction with all the infor. on here. No matter how you do it you have to start, so you heading in right direction by asking questions.[S

Body, type of suspension, wheel/tire combo, and desired stance should all come first before designing and building a proper custom chassis. Once you have all that figured out it is much easier to get the measurements you are asking about, because every build is different. Figure out all of these things, then make a chassis fit what you have to work with. I know everyone wants to jump in and build a frame, but not knowing what is going on it will almost always make for way more work later or worse yet - a goofy out-of-proportion vehicle. Don't put the cart in front of the horse! ;)

Last edited:
All good replies. I would have to agree. It's also good to look around at other peoples rides to get ideas. You may end up deciding to use a frame from a donor car or truck. Or maybe just the front clip etc. Some of your plans wont work [Sand some will. :)This is especially true of a beginner. And still holds true for old timers to. They just know from experience some things that wont work from the get-go. As you can see you will get help here. Someone on here has probably tried what your thinkin' or knows someone who has. So don't be afraid to ask. It's much easier to let someone else tell you it wont work, than to spend all the time, money and effort to figure it out on your own. Of course it's not as much fun that way either.[dr And sometimes people telling you it wont work just makes you want to prove them wrong.[ddev

Holy Moly.......lots to consider

Lots of Great info here folks, thanks so much. Seems there are a couple things I didn't consider, like the " Engineer thing ". Gonna have to check THAT out for sure, before I even start. (Darn Canadians.:mad:..........Oh, I AM one:eek:)Also It seems I've got a few more Parts to round up. I'm hoping to use an "I beam" drop axel on the front and a 4 link on the rear but most of all, I want it to be SAFE. I know about the "Scrub line" so I know I can't drop it too low. I think part of the reason I want to build my own frame is because it is my first build and I feel I can keep things a little more Ticketty-Boo that way and not having to worry about joining a front clip off of one thing onto the frame of something else, trying to line it up and make it safe? Just seems like building my own would be a little easier and it fits in better with the type of fabrication experience I've got. Anyway, apparently the search goes on! I'll keep you all posted on my progress. I May be able to start soon too, some dude is coming over this weekend to hopefully buy my Pontiac so I'll have a few more funds to work with. (As long as I can keep the loot out of the Old lady's clutches!) Yippee!...........Can't wait!!!!!!!!![cl

(As long as I can keep the loot out of the Old lady's clutches!) Yippee!...........Can't wait!!!!!!!!!

Good luck with that!!:DCR

frame

I tried to to do this the easy way, no cad. drawings here. on my drawing ( A ) will be determined by the engine, radiator, and front susp. ( b ) will be determined by the cab. ( c ) will be determined by where you think the rear wheels should sit how close to the back of the cab and by how big of a bed you want on it, ( d ) is the rear kick up, that will be determined by the rear susp. and how low you want ( b ) the front kick up will also be determined by the front susp. and how low you want ( b )( watch the oil pan height ) also, wheels and tires make a big difference you need to know how big a tire you want, ( overall height ) and set the susp. up for that size tire,

Attachments

• rat frame.jpg
    rat frame.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back