New guy from the north

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtbrain

After moving all over the states as a kid with a dad who worked for an oil company, we finally settled in North Dakota. It's where I live today with my wife and 16 year old son. And 12 year old springer spaniel, who still loves to hunt pheasants but can't go all day like he used to. Hey, who can? My son and myself have been working on a 67 vw bug project which we chopped 6 inches and narrowed the lower portion of the body a couple of inches. It also has a front beam extension that pushes out the front end an extra 10 inches. Drilled drums to fit chevy pattern wheels. All new braking system and a crappy paint job. I'll try and get some pics up. Not the best quality. We also have a 39 chevy 1/2 ton pickup which will be our next adventure. The bug gave us good practice on welding sheet metal. I got here via the KB site where Bonehead's truck gave me all the inspiration I needed to get my 39 into the garage. And with all the knowledge that left that site, I just had to find out where the heck you guys all went.

Attachments

• bug2.jpg
    bug2.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 20
  • bugside.jpg
    bugside.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 17
welcome to the site, if you don't mind me asking, what was the cost on building that? i've been eyeing bugs for a while, seems like it would be a cheap way to build a hot rod as they are fairly common and have alot of the needed lines.

Welcome!

Brain,
Welcome & glad u made it over! I love bugs... had many of 'um back in the day! My dad & I had buses, several Things & a Ghia. I'll have to round up the picture of my blacked out Ghia & blacked out Yamaha 650 Midnite Special. A twin pair! Do u have photos of u're build. Still love Vdubs & would love to see what all u're up to there!!!

BoB

Hey thanks for the warm welcome. And to answer a few questions, the 39 is still sitting in the backyard waiting. As far as how much money I have into the bug, the original bug was free(it was heading to the scrap yard). I spent about $250 on a rusty donor bug that had a recently overhauled 1600 engine.
I probably have another 8 to 900 bucks in the rest. The chassis is pretty much all new with new floor pans, brakes, drums and rotors, new lines, redone front beam. It does now have glass in it. I went with 2 flat pieces to make up the windshield. The back glass is the original. The others are nonexistent. I'll try and get my son to take some new pics to throw up here.
Here are some earlier shots of it. The one is my son with the sawzall after we
split her down the middle.

Attachments

• bug 4.jpg
    bug 4.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 9
  • bug 5.jpg
    bug 5.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 13
  • bug 3.jpg
    bug 3.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 12