New guy

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just found the forum and wanted to drop by and check it out. I'm up in Rochester NY, not exactly the rodding capital but we do ok. I have a few projects going, 2 63 Chevy pickups, an XS650 chop, a 48 Chevy panel for my tattoo artist, plus a lot of **** for my family. Anyway, just wanted to say what's up

Welcome to RRR,
New York huh, Rodchester you say....Never heard of it....

Just kiddin with you
Always glad to have a new member around. Post some pics up if ya got them. Look forward to seeing what all you got.

welcome. I'm fairly new around here too but I have found a ton of useful info so far. Also, everyone on here has been great.

Eric

Thanks fellas. Rochester is hardly anything special, if I had my way I'd live elsewhere. As far as my rides go, right now my main focus is on the 48 panel I'm building, as it's for a customer and I need to stay focused on that. It's my main project for the winter. In between I will try to get my bike done. It's an XS650 motor in a hard tail frame that was originally meant for a V-twin. The neck has been swapped for one from an XS, so it's still titled as a Yamaha and has a Yamaha front end. I'm not thrilled with the rear tire, it's a bit wide (180) but I have to deal with it since it's what I got. I made a frisco styled tank, heavily modified, and am just about ready for paint. It has custom pegs, fender struts, shift linkage, etc. Nothing special, but again, it's all I got to work with.
Here's a shot of it when I rolled it outside
0705070935.jpg

here's my 63 shop truck:
63.jpg

Here's the panel when I started it-big time changes are happening on it:
dueces.jpg

Here's my 49 chevy I just put a new 235 in:
49.jpg

Here's my other 63-it's a bit torn down, and I my go in a different direction with it:
63cab.jpg

And here's a shot of what I'm building for my dad:
pops.jpg

And here's the 72 Chevelle we play with on the weekends
125.jpg

And that, my friends, is what I have for older stuff. I also own a couple slammed minitrucks, another bike, a new Magnum R/T, an 03 Mustang (I hate this car, I only got it for my old lady), and some other things.

Kool stuff!!!

Customs,
Some pretty kool stuff. What t u're plans for that panel? Love those & they make great haulers!!!

BoB

Customs,
Some pretty kool stuff. What t u're plans for that panel? Love those & they make great haulers!!!

BoB

The panels going on a new frame, a modified S-10 (shortened, boxed, four linked, and bagged). It's also getting a mild small block, turbo trans, got a new set of Coker bias plys for it, and a body make over. It's gonna be a shop truck for my tattoo artist, something to drive daily and advertise his shop.

Rochester,,,,,they make cameras there don't they ? :D Seriously, welcome to RRR. That's a bunch of stuff to keep you busy. All of them are pretty cool tho, I like what you have planed for the panel.

I like your Dad's toy the best, but it all looks good. Welcome to the site.

That one we picked up in Texas, rolled it in the shop and updated it to be legally ran today. Cut the car in three pieces to sleeve the butt welds behind the driver, added kidney bars, new good looking cage (not a big fan of modern front engine cars), plus all the stuff needed to run a small block with a powerglide plus hide a radiator, etc.

This one we picked up in Washington state. Did the same updates, and it currently runs. It's also for sale.
11-2-05057.jpg

Nice rides man. What kind of minis do you have?

I'm an S-10 guy. I've had a bunch, just sold one a couple weeks ago, but I still have my 96 that I bought new. It only has about 20000 miles on it. Not sure where to go with it, since the plan was for a small block and now in NY it wouldn't pass inspection. I might go back to the 2.2 and drive it again. It's body dropped on hydraulics.

Nice. I've been kinda an s10 guy also. I did a complete custom S15. Stock floor body dropped, everything shaved, V8 custom paint the whole deal. Sold it and built a couple other S10's on air. Now I'm doing an 86 toyota PU prostreet on air. The one in my avatar.

Here's the S15 I sold.

IMG_2959.sized.jpg

newbackshot_001.jpg

Good luck on all the projects.

Welcome to the group. I like all your rides, and love FED's. Just curious, what does it entail to take an older dragster and bring it up to current NHRA or other governing body specs? I imagine the roll cage is the main area?

Reason I ask is I have a nice little 468 cube Ford sitting, and am thinking an old FED would make a great bracket car to play around with.

Don

Welcome to the group. I like all your rides, and love FED's. Just curious, what does it entail to take an older dragster and bring it up to current NHRA or other governing body specs? I imagine the roll cage is the main area?

Reason I ask is I have a nice little 468 cube Ford sitting, and am thinking an old FED would make a great bracket car to play around with.

Don

I'm a big time dragster fan, I have one tattoo'd on my arm and I'm currently collecting parts to build one to fit me (I'm 6'4). To make an older chassis current, there are quite a few things you must do. To certify to 7.50 in the quarter mile, you must have a 5 point, or 6 point roll bar. There are different restrictions on these, as far as diameter, height, placement, etc. Also, you must have kidney bars. Again, certain rules aply as far as diameter, etc. There cannot be any butt welds in the chassis, they must be sleeved at least 6 inches, with rossette welds. The chassis will need to be exrayd, and there is a minimum thickness requirement. Some old cars will not satisfy this requirement. There are quite a few other changes that will need to be made, the best way to go would be to order an SFI copy of the rules for whatever kind of car you want to build, and for whatever et you want to run.

The GMC looks great man. Got any pics of the Toy besides the one in your avatar?

thanks man. Here's just a couple. Don't wanna whore up your thread.

DSCN2349.sized.jpg

DSCN2350.sized.jpg

Those front wheels are not staying on. I have ones to match the rear.

DSCN2356.sized.jpg

DSCN2239.sized.jpg

Frame lays flat. I was gonna bodydrop it but then the rear tires would be over the bedrail.

How about some more pics of your builds?

Eric

The Toyota looks killer. What's the motor? As I go with my builds I'll take more pics. I'm usually too busy to slow down and snap pics, but I do need to decument this panel I'm doing. I'll post em as I go.

Sounds good man. Can't wait to see progress pics.

The yota is getting a 5.0/AOD combo out of a 93 Cougar XR7. I'm gonna carb it and I've got a Motorsport E303 cam for it and reworked GT heads with bigger chevy valves and screw in studs with rollers. May bolt a turbo on if I feel frisky.. :D

welcome to the site! i can't wait to see what you do with your 63's, I'm working on one right now myself. The dragster is super cool as well, I'd love to play around with one of those.

Latest posts

Back