next project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
many thanks

you guys really help me a bunch!thanks for all the comments a questions about illness/family...
as far as the grill is concerned i'm waiting for the right part to come along..i had been leaning towards an old tractor grille until i saw this pic posted elsewhere on this site by thunder1 (thanks thunder1 for giving me too much to have to consider:D) anyway i may try to put the hood back on mine, tho i orig. had not planned to... hope to get a chance to experiment w/grill/hood options next week may even lean towards trackT nose for "inspiration"

Attachments

• King_T_Lead.jpg
    King_T_Lead.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 61
  • customized f-1.jpg
    customized f-1.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 109
you guys really help me a bunch!thanks for all the comments a questions about illness/family...
as far as the grill is concerned i'm waiting for the right part to come along..i had been leaning towards an old tractor grille until i saw this pic posted elsewhere on this site by thunder1 (thanks thunder1 for giving me too much to have to consider:D) anyway i may try to put the hood back on mine, tho i orig. had not planned to... hope to get a chance to experiment w/grill/hood options next week may even lean towards trackT nose for "inspiration"

Be warned, that style track nose is very hard to pull off. 90% of the cars I have seen where somebody tried it, it didn't quite look right.

The 32 insert in a non-32 grill, on the other hand, has lots of potential.

i agree w/ya flipper, a track nose really needs to be on a "small" front end..
what i had in mind was actually a cross between a track T, a 38 ford truck, and the red one pictured above--we'll see:rolleyes::D
i know i can't explain it but if i get a chance i'm gonna try to piece one out just to see what it looks like (if it doesn't look too bad you might get a chance to see it here)

I got thinking the other night after I posted...What if you cut just the tip off of the front of the original hood and used that as the top end of a custom-fabbed grill shell? You could even cut the sides off of the hood, turn them up vertical, switch 'em side-for-side and use them as the sides of the shell...Then just find some interesting shaped "leftovers" laying around to fill in vertical or horizontal bars...Just a thought or two to add to the stew.

I like the looks of the red-oxide truck, too.:cool:

Regards,
Shea:)

hey shea..thanks for the thoughts....i had actually thought of using the front foot or so of "hood-point" to make a lower portion of a grille...but the idea of splittin one to use for the sides i hadn't thought of--but i like it!:D

i also have an old hood from my 66 that flew up on me at 60 mph years ago & had thought of slicing off the front rounded portion to make a top-edge and narrowing to the right width, then cutting a radiator opening out of it..
prob whittle around on some ideas next week...

to be continued........
HRP

got side tracked from the hood/grill with a driveshaft to install, put the starter on w/some wires run for battery and switch...fuel line, trans cooler lines and radiator hoses.. all in all i want to hear it run!!

pics as soon as i remember camera

what about ADHD? Hey look a squirrel!

This is at least the second time that you have failed to take pictures :D

The truck looks REALLY good in the last overall photos that you posted.

Glad you're feeling better.

well, i took the camera to the shop thurs. to grab a few pics of progress.....
(shouldn't mention the fact that i then forgot to bring it back home thurs nite:rolleyes:) anyway trans lines run, fuel line run, d.shaft cut fresh u-joints in and installed(BTW a 52 ford f-1 and 76 chevy truck i robbed front slip-yoke from had same u-joint #) a few more odds and ends including my junk-truck guages ...got to get a lower rad. hose and SHOULD be ready to "test crank it" w/ a temporary set of wiring

Attachments

• 52 rat 005.JPG
    52 rat 005.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 52 rat 006.JPG
    52 rat 006.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 52 rat 007.JPG
    52 rat 007.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 73
  • 52 rat 008.JPG
    52 rat 008.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 52 rat 012.JPG
    52 rat 012.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 67
changed oil&filter, dumped in some trans fluid...hooked up the battery...
got enuf tied together to crank motor-and it turned over well....so hooked up the coil wire, and dumped a little gas down its carb-and it hit that time---got to get lower rad hose and antifreeze in before actually running it tho....

have had a grill donated to the cause--gonna whittle it down and see if i can use it, still wanting to incorperate the hood.....

still need....
*radius rods for front and different shackles
*wiring harness and lights
*windshield/glass
*lots of little stuff....

Attachments

• rat rod grille 003.JPG
    rat rod grille 003.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 57
  • rat rod grille 002.JPG
    rat rod grille 002.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 60
  • rat rod grille 001.JPG
    rat rod grille 001.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 85
  • rat rod update 007.JPG
    rat rod update 007.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 308
need to find some umph.....or sell it....any offers/suggestions:eek:

now come on that kinda talk is not productive! If you need a break from your truck swing on by and box my frame for me cause your box turned out great

Now get back out there, your truck looks great man it will be worth it when you hit the streets for the first time, that what i keep telling myself

thanks guys.....i took your advice bonehead and sat in the seat--of my 46
i fired it up this afternoon and drove it around our church parking lot a couple times....(didn't want to go too far since i haven't fixed my radiator leak yet) but it helped me out......

seems like alot of stress lately - work, family, deadlines you all know the drill
well enuf emotionalism---i got a ratrod to build!!!!;)

back to the '52...

well i have a little more to share--come on guys i need the motivation, so let's hear from ya--

put together a bed floor with some high quality used roofing metal, then set the fuel tank and battery in-will "tie" the battery in later

also worked on getting the grill whittled down--gonna hafta remove about 4" from the center of the grill (didn't want the front of my truck to say "seaman"-way to many pre-verts for that:rolleyes:) already cut off some of the side to get it closer to size-will also have to remove about 6" of height as marked by tape

and another piece scrounged from the scrap pile- an old oilbath breather-from a ????????
gonna try to convert it to use a paper element and attach it to a holley 4

fired it off and it RUNS!! needs some pipes of some sort but it does run...yee haw!!

Attachments

• ratrod bed&grill 001.JPG
    ratrod bed&grill 001.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 93
  • ratrod bed&grill 002.JPG
    ratrod bed&grill 002.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 64
  • ratrod bed&grill 004.JPG
    ratrod bed&grill 004.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 88
  • ratrod bed&grill 003.JPG
    ratrod bed&grill 003.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 79
well i had expected for my last paying job in the shop to be parts money for the 52, but a broke washing machine took from the ratrod funds:(

the irony is that w/o funds to work on the rat, my clothes really won't be getting as dirty....:confused::D

*brakes...
*radius rods/front shocks
*wiring/lights

so close.....

Last edited:
Sounds like the stuff you have left takes more time than money Preacher. The truck is looking great get out there and finish it find a run to go to and set a deadline that'l help ya.

Looks like a nice choice of grill, HRP! I REALLY dig the recycled bed floor, too! That's something that I've wondered why more folks didn't do it...

Keep your hopes and dreams flying high. You're SOOO close, I just know you'll get there!:)

Regards,
Shea:)

thanks for the comments shea, and rainman--it sure helps

the day has been well spent working on a buddy's 69 ford f-100....trying to get ready for paint....
also spent a few minutes cutting on the grill for my 52got a couple of mock-up photos but i already know that it will hafta come down a couple more inches to put it "inline" with the cowl...sad thing is i'm just not "sold" on this set-up.....keep thinking i want to include the hood, yet it wont work well with this grill, and i'm afraid if i use the hood the front will wind up too wide....:(:confused:
also scrounged the old pipes off of the trans am...(he used an x pipe and flows) these were good and FREE!:D it don't get much better---wonder if he'd put 'em on for me?!:p

Attachments

• ratrod grill 002.JPG
    ratrod grill 002.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 34
  • ratrod grill 003.JPG
    ratrod grill 003.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 35
  • ratrod grill 004.JPG
    ratrod grill 004.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 47
  • ratrod grill 005.JPG
    ratrod grill 005.JPG