notching the frame

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icebox

I was going to Z my frame . But that idea would not work . So I am going to channel my cab 6 inches. I welded in some temporary 1 by to see if I would have enough room . It looks good I even put the seat in . I want to get it even lower so I was thinking about notching 2 inches off of the top of the frame. My idea is to take some 3/8 inch thick 2x4 tubing and weld it to the inside of the original frame . I plan on hole sawing some 1 inch holes threw tho original frame to get some more weld on it. Then cut the top 2 inches of original frame off of the top. Do you guys thing that it would be ok.
icebox

Frame notching is very popular with guys who like to air bag trucks, they have tons of items available for that, if nothing else but to get ideas, have a look: C-Notch Frame Kits

CSE-CV04XX-2.jpg

3/8" is a little overkill. The strength is in the height more than the thickness. I'm thinking your idea should work OK. Cutting the top 2" off and then boxing it would be about the same thing.

I wrote the wrong thickness .It is 3/16 th x2x4
also I am cutting the 2 inches off under the cab . so that the cab till set lower.

Last edited:
Why not do a frame backhalf?

Not sure what you are working on or with it if you wanna drop a mini truck a hair lower you would build a frame out of 2x3 or 2x4 from the fire wall back and welt it to the front clip . That's if it is a factory frame for a tube frame. Or like he said cut the frame 2 inches shorter and box it . Don't think sluggin it with 2x4 tubing would look as good unless you cut the old frame out after

Latest posts

Back