Oh oh, time to order some Grey Poupon!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

I just flipped on TV and the Barrett Jackson Auction is on. What do I see but a rat rod roadster pickup going across the auction block !! It was all rusty and the engine looked like it had just been plucked from some old truck, grease, dirt and all !!!
:eek:

Oh man, this one will be getting some ink on "other forums" !!
:D

BTW, it sold for over $ 15,000.00. Don't ya just love it??

Don

Vettes and Mustangs were in the $20-25,000 range when i was watching.

Was that one on the Monster Garage show ?

I don't think so, it had Ron Davis or something to that effect on the grille insert. I only got a glimpse of it before they rolled it off the stage.

The Monster Garage trike with the big ole trailer truck engine is coming up behind it. This has to be the best BJ yet !
:D

Don

Pass it on over!!!

Don,
Please pass the Grey Poupon. Now that rats are gettin' mainstream... I better start lookin' for something else to do!? Now where was that rat bicycle link I found a while back?!?! Ummm... maybe mopeds will make a big comeback... can u see the big fat Tripper on a moped?!?! Better start lookin' for one of those big gel seats right away!!! ; - >

BoB

hahaha i'm watching it right now. don, ron davis is on the radiator cores on several of the monster garage cars. thats the maker of the radiators. those monster garage cars are going way cheap. the willys jeep with 2 blown big block crate motors sold for less than the motors cost.

B-J lawsuit!?

Did you see where B-J is gettin sued by that guy that was selling one of the Ramchargers car? HE said they short gaveled him. He tried to sell the car to Chrysler & they told him it was only worth $250K, I think he got $300K @ B-J but said the car should have gone for $750K-$1M. Oh yeah... the guy is a judge!!!

BoB

I just tuned in to watch. It's first day coverage. Those are usually the cheaper cars. I can't wait until a couple of guys start a wallet fight and pay 10 times more for a car than it's worth and then act proud that they did it :D

Theyre selling like 40 Monster Garage vehicles....tommorrow and SAt & sunday, I think....The Trike did decent $$$$ , I was surprised that the 5.0 "Switchblade" mower went cheap..That rat rod from the school from the deaf did well too...listen to the narrators, tho....they are fricken clueless as to MG or how & why the cars are the way they are.....I called Speed channel early in the broadcast when they said Barris built the Monkee mobile....they came back on and CORRECTED it.....& these guys are "Pros"....yeah, right! :rolleyes:

Here is a picture of the RPU that sold on BJ. It went for $ 15K+ which isn't too bad considering it has a brand new crate engine, Currie 9 inch rear, and a '32 frame. Looks like they soaked the whole thing in water for a while to get the proper patina.

The guy who bought it sold a Porche speedster replica at BJ to buy this one. He said his wife is a little upset by that move. Being that this one was built by Monster Gargage it is probably a good investment though, what with magazine and TV cars bringing good money because of their notariety and exposure.

Don

Attachments

• bj.jpg
    bj.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 51
barret jackson

I am somewhat strongly opiniated when it comes to this. It was all fun and games for many years watching people sweat it out trying to get "their" car. But I think it really hurt the muscle and collector car market. Some others may find that a rude comment as it has helped increase the resale of their cars a bit. But now some people want god awful prices for run of the mill cars. It is a blessing and also a curse. Talk with folks about car costs or cost to build and you'll often get , "well i seen one on barret jackson go for 3 times that". The cars on B J are for the most part, the best cars and the best parts available, but most are not worth what is payed for them.:rolleyes:

It is the same thing that happened when E-bay got going. "Well, I saw one on Ebay, and the guy was tryin to get 10 billion for it"

The market is what it is. A car will only bring what someone is willing to pay for it. BJ was able to build up their auction and get more for cars bought there. If that raised prices across the U.S. then it did. People usually don't realize the difference in their heap, and the cars on T.V., but that is people, and how people are, you can't educate people like that.

No question BJ is a playground for people who have accumulated a bunch of money and can afford to play in that league. It's hard for the average guy (and I am in that class) to understand how they can do it or why, but it's really just all relative. If I had a net worth of $ 20 million spending $100 K on a car would be like any of us spending $ 5K, and we do that all the time.

For example is the Super Snake Cobra that Carroll Shelby personally owned worth $ 5 million? By the same token, is a piece of wall art worth the same kind of money just because some guy named Picasso did it? I guess the answer depends on the likes and bank account of the person answering the question.

I only watch BJ to see some cars in pristine condition that you would rarely get a chance to see anywhere else. The cream of the crop sure shows up there, and you can see such a diverse assortment. It's also nice to see some of the historic cars "in the flesh" so to speak.

But I agree that lots of people who have a four door Nash Rambler now think it is their ticket to early retirement because of "what all those old cars bring on BJ."

Don

Actually there is only about 20 Monster Garage cars to be sold. Most of the ones sold Tuesday went for $5-20K sold on a bill of sale only. Whether or not they can be licensed to drive, who knows. They probably would not make very reliable DDs any way. Good for car shows as a special interest item maybe. As far as for investment purposes, only time will tell.

I went to B-J last year. As far as the condition and quality of the vehicles sold there yes there are some super nice high dollar, high quality rides. But for the most part a lot were just nice DDs that needed a lot of work to be considered a high quality ride. For example a 71 Dodge Challenger RT sold for ~$90K :eek: the next day we saw it outside being worked on to get the drivers side window rolled up. If I paid 90K for a car it better be perfect. Like I could ever afford a car for $90K :rolleyes:.

But if you ever get a chance to go do it. It was a lot of fun. Nothing like seeing a car sell for $5 million. Lots of nice stock cars, modified cars, amd modified women :cool: to look at.

When getting into this type of conversation I always remind the person I am talking to that there are three distinct and differnt things in any market place
Price
value
worth
the price can be x
the value can be xx
and the worth is what someone is willing to pay and the 3 are never the same.

Check B-Js website..42 MG cars to be sold over 4 days..Tues, Weds, Sat and Sun. I just registered as an internet bidder...I'm chasing the hearse on Sunday.....:D

Wow, my preview only listed about 20. Must not have been the complete list. Thanks. Looks like he kept the really cool ones. Good luck. Got Friday off maybe.......

Latest posts

Back