Ok... I admit it... I love Vdubs!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
Yep... always loved bugs... had several, a Ghia, Camper & Thing but never one of these! I'd love to have one one day... mite happen!?!? This is a photo from our local Bug Bash this weekend. These vans ROCK!!!

bugbash.jpg

BoB

You could sell a lot of Windex at that VW show. Never seen so many early vans.

That balled up VW van looks like a body for that motorcycle-in-a-hoop vehicle on one of the other threads.

Ive been into VWS since I was about 12 or so. I had a 58 bus but sold it when I started racing. Wish I still had it.:(
Tim

Attachments

• my old bus.jpg
    my old bus.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 18
Light weight

Are my eyes going bad? Looks like those vans are sitting on a 2x6 board. Look like models more than real vans.

This was my 1967, Walk-Through, 21 window before I added the Safari windows to it... also had a 1961 Single Cab Truck, with the dual toolbox doors underneath the bed ( if you were skinny enough, you could actually slither from one side of the truck to the other) that had a 1914 cc engine, dual Weber 44 IDF carbs, big valve heads, and an IRS trans (it was nice putting down the freeway at 65 mph, having someone pull up next to you and kinda sneer, then I would hit 4th, nail the throttle, and drive away from them, lol) with BRM wheels.

I just found a photo of all he finished cars I had at one time, the Beige car is an all original 1955 sunroof, that I got from the opriginal owner with 72,000 documented miles in it, the glass buggy is an original Meyers Manx, the Silver car is the old VW Trends Magazine/SoCal Imports, Inc. project Mail-Order Resto-Custom, with a 2017 cc enine, huge heads, Weber 48 IDA carbs, original Rader wheels, and all kinds of other stuff. The Single Cab truck is in the background
I was building a 69 Bug, 6 inch top chop. suicide doors, hidden hinges, Oval ragtop clip, 9 inch extended wheelbase, Super bell 5 inch dropped axle, Posie's Super slide spring, Wilwood disc brakes, Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels, Coker wide whites, and a fire breathing 2054cc engine, but old it before I completed it, to help with a debt-free, owned it the day we unlocked the front door for the first time, brand new, ocean view, 2,300 square foot house in the redwoods of NorCal. I'll see if I can dig up a photo of that one, too...

Attachments

• 21 window.jpg
    21 window.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Collection.jpg
    Collection.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Rat rod and T bucketcopy.jpg
    Rat rod and T bucketcopy.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Everybody loves VW's. They are the one foreign car most rodders agree are cool. My first car was a VW, a 1957 with 36 HP. I tried to blow that thing up so my Mom would buy me a real car, but the thing wouldn't die.:( It was one of the early ones with no gas gauge, just that little foot lever to flip to reserve. I would always forget to flip it back up, and when I ran out of gas I was REALLY out of gas. :eek:

Many fond memories of that car and the fun I had it it.

Don

Donsrods, I see you are from Fort Myers... I have a very good friend of mine in Ft. Myers that puts out killer how-to videos in VW repair and maintenance, <www.bugmevideo.com> I've been to his house (where most of the footage is shot) a few times, and even have a cameo role in the floor pan replacement video :)

If you ever run into a guy named Rick Higgins, tell him hello from a guy named Kaferdave :D

You VW lovers will be pleased to know that I took a very nice '54 VW and cut the snot out of it to make a Baja Bug. It was long ago and I was young and foolish (now I'm old and foolish). I got the car for free because it was abandoned in a student parking lot at the University of Minnesota. My how times have changed.

Good catch, Ike. I wondered why they all looked so much alike.

BobW, believe it or not, if the car was still relatively rust-free, it's not uncommon to have guys put the front and rear clip and fenders back on an old baja, especially on the 1955 and earlier "ribbed door" cars, and even more so when they had the semaphore turn signals (as a 1954, yours had them,) the little sticks in the "B" pillar that (sometimes) popped out from the body and lit up when you hit the turn signal switch.
(I almost got shot one morning about 3 AM, I had brand new 6 volt semaphores on a 12 volt system, got pulled over, cop says I didn't use my turn signals on my last left turn, so I hit the switch, and hit the cop right between the nostrils with the semaphore arm...0

Attachments

• Rat rod copy.jpg
    Rat rod copy.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 33
Trust me, the cop was *NOT* smiling.
It's 2:30 AM (I used to be a street sweeper, so I'd give the drunks enough time to either get home, crash, or get arrested, and then I'd hit the streets), in a not-so-good part of town, the cop pulls over a kid in a lowered, noisy, VW Bug, asks for Driver' License/Registration/Proof of Insurance, tells the driver why he pulled him over (didn't use a turn signal, or so he said, I think he just didn't look high enough, he was looking at the tail lights, probably) and remember this was a 6 volt semaphore on a 12 volt system, so when it popped out, it did so with a vengeance, and the next thing you know, there's a flash of light and his nose hurts, and he did what any inner city cop would do at that time of morning, in that neighborhood... I swear I could see right down the barrel of his Service Pistol, and I swear I could see hollow points...
I explained that they were called semaphores, they were turn signals legal until 1955, and 1960 in Europe, and I was so very sorry, I couldn't do that again in 1,000 tries... he ran a make on me, came back to my car, handed me all my paperwork, told me to have a nice day and to drive carefully, and you know what? That Cop Car had a Posi in it....:eek::D

Latest posts

Back