One way to build a battery box.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

I've started work on my rpu project again and yesterday I decided to build the battery box for it. I didn't want anything fancy as it won't ever be seen in the covered bed so I just needed it to be functional and strong.

I started out by picking up a battery at Advance Auto so I would be able to make the box the right size. I decided to go with a side terminal battery so the posts would not be on top near my metal tonneau cover.

For the base of the box I used 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 angle iron and cut four pieces and then had my Son Dan weld them together for me.

After that was done I cut two more pieces of angle iron for the drop down legs that go on the back and also two pieces of 1 inch flat stock that act as diagonal braces to give the box some strength, after all it will be holding up about 60 lbs of battery. We temporarily clamped it to the frame rails where it will go, but we won't weld it on until we blow the car apart and can lay the frame on it's side.

So, not rocket surgery, but at least it is one more job out of the way. :D

Don

Haha, my Son and I were laughing about just that subject last night when we got done. I had about 5 hours in it between the measuring, cutting, fitting, grinding and welding, and even if you charged someone $ 10 an hour you would be losing money. I have no idea how the guys who do this stuff for a living can charge people for all the time that goes into the most simple brackets.

Don

Haha, my Son and I were laughing about just that subject last night when we got done. I had about 5 hours in it between the measuring, cutting, fitting, grinding and welding, and even if you charged someone $ 10 an hour you would be losing money. I have no idea how the guys who do this stuff for a living can charge people for all the time that goes into the most simple brackets.

Don

I've got the most crude battery box bent up...definately going to re do it once I get my welder. It's just one of those things to get me started while I get tools in the garage, any suggestions for an all around good welder? I'm thinking either a Eastwood or the midline HF (dont shoot me!), alot of people actually say it's a great welder.

Are they as good as a Miller , Lincoln, etc name brand ? No, but they sure are better than no welder. Lots of people simply do not have the budget for one of the more expensive ones at this point in their life, so the HF and Eastwoods kinda are affordable for them.

A good welder is an investment that will last you for years, but as long as you aren't trying to weld heavy steel with a 110 volt welder you will be ok until you save up for a better one.

Don

Are they as good as a Miller , Lincoln, etc name brand ? No, but they sure are better than no welder. Lots of people simply do not have the budget for one of the more expensive ones at this point in their life, so the HF and Eastwoods kinda are affordable for them.

A good welder is an investment that will last you for years, but as long as you aren't trying to weld heavy steel with a 110 volt welder you will be ok until you save up for a better one.

Don

I've took like 3 weeks of a welding class lol I'm a little worried that I'll screw **** up, I hguess I better do some learning.

If you had to choose between the two.... Eastwood or this Harbor Freight?

I've took like 3 weeks of a welding class lol I'm a little worried that I'll screw **** up, I hguess I better do some learning.

If you had to choose between the two.... Eastwood or this Harbor Freight?

Make sure you have a good grinder, and practice =)
Either that or use a smaller battery, like an optima gel or something, and you can run a lighter bracket altogether ;);)

Latest posts

Back