opinions on more 32 fords on the road than were built by henry

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebops; good or bad for the hobby

• yes

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • no

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • not sure

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whever I am in a car show that has judging, I put "Not in Competition" on my car.

Think of the thousands of rodders that had fun building and driving a 'glass T Buckets starting way back in the 60's.

Some muscle car restorations and pro touring mods have a very low percentage of an original car in them. Sometimes only the cowl and the roof. Everything else is a replacement part. All on an aftermarket chassis, sometimes.

The bigger the hobby gets, and the repop bodies are a vital ingredient in growth, the more political clout the hobby has. As a result, it is harder for the hobby to be legislated out of existence.

The bigger the hobby gets, and the repop bodies are a vital ingredient in growth, the more political clout the hobby has. As a result, it is harder for the hobby to be legislated out of existence.

Exactly!! I don't care if its gennie, repop,glass or stick welded together out of used rusty 16 gauge.. the more builders that out there, slaving away to make their dream a reality, just insures the health of our hobby..Even a gold chainer with another credit card build, it's still another hot rod on the street, so I'm all for it..

Personally, I'd love to own a clean 32, or a 31, or a 33 or whatever someday.. but I try to build what I can afford, and at the moment, thats a homebuilt bobber truck

Tim

I don't see a problem with glass cars. You like red I don't, I like glass you don't. Always going to be differing opinions...

I have to agree with OldIron/Jim ( & others) on this one.

There are some "Home Built" rods/rats that are far from being "Hobby Built" and they should be judged in a seperate class by themselves.

Personally, I don't care for the repros and the off-the-shelf Tri-Fives etc. are no better. A different paint job and wheels and the rest came right off of the shelf.

It's time the guys who bust-their-knuckles in their own little shop get the recognition they deserve !!!!!! The inginuity of some people never ceases to amaze me - that's what I like about street rodding / rat rods.

Exactly!! I don't care if its gennie, repop,glass or stick welded together out of used rusty 16 gauge.. the more builders that out there, slaving away to make their dream a reality, just insures the health of our hobby..Even a gold chainer with another credit card build, it's still another hot rod on the street, so I'm all for it..

Personally, I'd love to own a clean 32, or a 31, or a 33 or whatever someday.. but I try to build what I can afford, and at the moment, thats a homebuilt bobber truck

Tim

Tim said it all!!! I don't care if its glass or steel. Sure steel is real and all that noise, but who can afford a steel 32 anymore ? not me and not a lot of the others. My goal is for a 41Willys someday and it will probably be glass. I don't care one way or the other all I know is I'm gonna build what I like!!!!

i even like those cobra kit cars.
and those fake bugatti's
in my book a neat car is a neat car.

but i am sure we have all noticed the crowd around the ratrods whenever and wherever they are parked.:D

i even like those cobra kit cars.
and those fake bugatti's
in my book a neat car is a neat car.

but i am sure we have all noticed the crowd around the ratrods whenever and wherever they are parked.:D

Yep, I would love to build a factory five kit cobra with a twin turbo small block chevy in it..Just imagine how many people I could pi** of with that!! LOL

I am thankful to Egge machine for reproducing the pistons in my engine, rings, main bearings, cam bearings, etc.

Without these reproduction parts I would not have been able to build my engine. Not only that the reproduction parts were better than the originals.

I am also thankful for Coker for reproducing the tires I plan to run.

I am thankful that when I had my 56 chev that someone was reproducing the gas tank as the original was a holy terror.

The question posted was not only about bodies but reproduction parts in general.

Without reproduction parts how many of us would be able to do what we do.

I am not a glass fan at all but it does help the industry.

I have zero problem with the steel bodies being reproduced. The truth of the matter is that with the dwindling supply of original bodies, the reproductions allow the sport/hobby to keep going.

What about reproduction chassis's, how many here are riding on one, or a reproduction they made at home?

The purists like to think they are doing the way it was back when. In truth those fellers from back then would have used whatever was available. Why can't that be true today, and traditional.

No matter to me if it's 'glas or steel, or if someone just laid down a wad to have it built - the high rollers are car guys too and the bucks they spend drive the automotive specialty manufacturers to keep producing more new kool products all the time. My first engine swap was in '73, a 324 Olds engine into a 55 Chev pickup. That engine wasn't even 20 years old then and you couldn't get diddly for hop up parts then. Now you can get just about anything, including aluminum heads.
These are the good old days !!
My solution to the dwindling old tin supply is to build my own bodies - not for everyone, just the road I've taken.....

Attachments

• may 29 10 rat 55 018 a.jpg
    may 29 10 rat 55 018 a.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 14
  • may 01 05 029z.jpg
    may 01 05 029z.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 13
  • july 3  2004 026z.jpg
    july 3 2004 026z.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 13
I am also the guy who walks past all the credit card, lawn chair rods at a show, when I go to one (car shows are basically 90% lame) A hot rod is supposed to be a little rough, rattly and a bit scarey. I don't really have a problem with kit cars though, it's the only way I'd ever be able to own a Cobra or boat tailed Auburn speedster. What annoys me almost as much as glass 32s is hugger orange 69 Cameros, no they actually annoy me more.

i like just about anything.
the only 2 kinds i dont actually want to own.
1 low riders
2 giant tired 4x4's

i build what i want and like, and don't give a rats a$$ about what anybody thinks about it. if someone has built a hot rod of some sort then hey, he/she is supporting our hobby. i own a glass 26 t roadster as well as a 63 chevy truck that is going tradional (hope i spelled that right) none of mine are rat to me i'm just low budget. there are some cool cars built in every way that can be thought of and i like most all of them. just like this site if you really look at what people here on this site have in their yard/garages it is across the board some rat, hot, tradional and muscle. like i said i like them all. when i go to a car show i take my grandson with me and show him everything in the show and try to teach him as much as i can about each car/truck and that for every person in the show there is a different car and style, and he can't wait for the next show. i understand there are people that don't like a style of a car that they see at a show or on the street , i just don't understand why someone has to put them down for building what they want.

You want to know what I really bothers me about the rodding sport??
People passing judgment on other's idea of what it's about!!! No one can
tell me what I should or shouldn't like, or build!! Thats my decission and mine alone!!

Right on Rainman!!

HOTRODDING IS A PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, AND EXPRESSION. IT MEANS SOMETHING DIFFERENT TO EACH OF US. WE ALL HAVE SOMETHING UNIQUE TO CONTRIBUTE, IRREGARDLESS OF EACH OTHERS TASTES, OR BUDGETS, AND WE ALL DO IT IN THE BEST WAY WE KNOW POSSIBLE.

Now there's a solution for ya!!! ha ha ha[cl[cl

Dr. you are the man!!

BTW You want to know what I really bothers me about the rodding sport??
People passing judgment on other's idea of what it's about!!! No one can
tell me what I should or shouldn't like, or build!! Thats my decission and mine alone!!

So now we can't voice our own opinions on the cars and the hobby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back