Pic.s of your gas tank

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidhud29

Thinking of making my own gas tank to fit behind the seat. Right now I have an old air compressor tank I was going to use. I would like to keep the bed open and free of anything. Any ideas or suggestions on making my own? What gauge steel, etc. Don't want gas leaks or to much pressure build up with to thin of a metal. :confused:
Not the best pics

1a.jpg

3.jpg

I've not seen that truck before , I like it ! I agree that a smaller less noticable tank is in order , but that truck looks cool !

Great build1 I just found it a couple days ago. I would not want to put the tank inside the cab - most of the time people are always trying to move the tank out of the cab.

Here's some photos of my tank. I used 18 ga, but most tanks are 14 ga.- at least the ones the shops around here build.

I used the folded over joint on the bottom - read about it in Street Rodder.

There are more photos of the construction of the tank in my F2 Stang build.

Attachments

• DSC01295.jpg
    DSC01295.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 4 bottom joint.jpg
    4 bottom joint.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 13 cap closed.jpg
    13 cap closed.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 67
  • b bead roll.jpg
    b bead roll.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 50
Would a wide flat tank from something in the junkyard work? Station wagon?

I thought of that too. Something that would fit between the rear frame rails under the bed. It can only be about 5 or 6" inches tall from top to bottom hitting the axle. I looked at my old (84) van tank and at my 74 truck bed trailer that still has the tank under it. I think one might work but would need cut down to fit. A smaller vehicle tank would probably fit. I need to go to Pull-a-Part and look under some vehicles to see what I can find.

What about one from a 60s ford or chevy thats already behind the seat, then cut it down to fit behind your seat?

That was also an idea I had. The original tank was behind the seat. So keeping one there would be neat. But I don't know what happened to it. I would need to shorten it for sure. It may also be to tall and to thick. Plus I may put different seats in that allow me to sit as far back as possible (thinking boat fishing style seats) I can get new ones for like 18$. Only real reason is I might need the leg room just so I can drive it without cursing it the whole time. I will know better on that when the brake and gas peddle are all hooked up. So I don't want to invest the time making or modifying one to go behind the seats, until I am completely sure I wont change the seats. Plus if I am going to do that much modification to one, would it be worth it to just build one from scratch?

I would try to put one between the frame rails if there is room. Our local autowrecker has a huge pile of the newer poly tanks that they sell for $20 a piece.All kinds of sizes and shapes.Might be worth to check out .

I don't usually like later model cut down trucks but that thing looks cool as hell. Got any more pics of it?

1a.jpg

3.jpg
[/QUOTE]

yes it could be thunder1 this was one of the items i salvaged from the (find) that I posted on here last year the old man was known for getting military stuff

I agree 100%

Very cool!!

T1[/QUOTE]

is there no way or room to just put the tank right where it is but under the bed with the filler flush or a little recessed where it is?

Latest posts

Back