possible new project. Is this worth the $$$

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyRunnin_on_Bowtie

so i havent been on here in a while. I had a 1950 chevy dually but had to sell due to having another baby. Well im wanting to start another rat so i came across this:

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/3964226982.html

it is a 46 gmc cab with a clear ohio title. also comes with the hood, fenders and headlights. Cab seems to be pretty solid.
$1000 obo but i did talk him down 100. So 900 and i could go pick it up.
Worth it or not??
thanks in advance for any input :D

I think 900 is still alittle to much.I got my Diamond T for 800$..I got my 47 Jeep truck for 500$..I got my 49 Dodge truck with a whole truck load of other parts+stuff for 360$ Ive seen a few projects that need to be finished,for really good prices..Just my 2 cents worth..

the money would be fair if the body was nicer. i sell cabs for $1000 all the time, but they are nice solid western cabs. also i am in the Cincinnati area

I don't think it is a bad deal myself for $900. It's available right here and now.
It has the fenders and titles are very rare. Ten years ago these cabs were free to haul away so in the future you could easily get your money back anyway. Let us know what you decide.

Here's Bob's Theory, according to...Bob.
Let's say the cab, title & parts are worth only $500. But it is a project you really want to have. How much will you spend to complete it? Let's say $5,000. At that point, does it really matter if you have $5500 in it or $5,900?
To me, the important factor is do you really want that particular vehicle? It takes time, money and lots of labor to build a hot rod. It better be something you really want. And, if it is, the extra $400 shouldn't be a factor.

Trucks have always been big in Texas & cabs run about $300-$400 here! Best finds are typically on CL! Couple years ago I bought a whole '46 Dodge pickup with title minus motor/tranny for $500.

BoB

Hey Rusty Runnin

In upstate NY that is about the going rate....if he could drop a little more $$$ it wouldnt be bad deal......folks in my neck think everything that is old is solid gold so we either pay the price or dont build anything..or ending painting the wheels red on an S10 and trying to pass it off as a rat rod...if you want it I guess you gotta pay the price...

my 2 cents thats all....

mikeC

thanks everyone for the input. I think im gonna try to get him down another hundred bucks. If not I feel im not getting hurt on it. I know its really hard around here to get builders titles so the title is a real big seller for me.
plus i love the year/style of the 41-46 chevy's/gmc's [dr[
BTW if anyone has a chevy or gmc tailgate for sale id be interested. :D

Here's Bob's Theory, according to...Bob.
Let's say the cab, title & parts are worth only $500. But it is a project you really want to have. How much will you spend to complete it? Let's say $5,000. At that point, does it really matter if you have $5500 in it or $5,900?
To me, the important factor is do you really want that particular vehicle? It takes time, money and lots of labor to build a hot rod. It better be something you really want. And, if it is, the extra $400 shouldn't be a factor.

and thanks bob w
im diggin your theory [cl

You could easily spend hundreds of fun tickets looking for another one, and end up with one that's not as good. It all comes down to, how much is it worth TO YOU? And how much time do you want to waste looking around, that could be spent working on your ride?

Hi Runnin; bobW is the man [not that crazy]. If you doubled some of his numbers and had to put 10,000 dollars in to get your truck nice, would the extra two or three hundred you paid at first make any difference at all. Do you like the truck? Is it fairly close, so you can get it home fairly easily? Does it have a title? Ask yourself these kind of questions, and if the answer is yes to most of them, go and buy the dang truck. In my old age I am getting more miffed at people who's main goal in life is beating someone on a deal. Don't worry about beating the seller down, worry about getting yourself an opportunity.

tip-out windshield with good glass - $100
complete front clip - $400
46 GMC cab with doors, appears to have at least one side window, a perfectly broken rear window, and has been kept up off the ground - $500
clear title for the cab - $150
Total: $1150

All of this in one place - saves you 2 years of scrounging for body parts and haggling over price on each one before paying more than you think they're worth, just to start a 6 month battle over getting a title that satisfies the man.

Latest posts

Back