Projects I am contemplating - photos inside - could use some insight here.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thankful

OK, so I know what my heart has been telling me - and what I am attracted to - so I believe that answers a lot of questions for me there - on what I should build.

There are some practicality issues as well - like in all things you build - you have to ask certain questions on what you are going to use it for - how much driving - what kind of driving - how you want to enjoy the project etc...

In the end - I want to smile, laugh - and make others do the same. That's when you know you have a good project car.

So here is what I have been looking at - and now I need to nail down what a realistic budget would be to build something like this. Since I am in need of someone helping me with this build - do to my time constraints etc - See this thread - it will explain it all - http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14945

Really - I could use some help to set my expectations on what certain things would cost to build - so I have some budgets set in my head. Again - I know that is a broad questions - because it comes down to what all is put into the build. But here are my expectations: Would like for the Rod to run well and not have major mechanical issues. Want it to function well - as a car would - I know we will have gliches here and there - but I would rather spend my time on making it look cool - and working on the interior etc - rather than finding someone to make it steer straight - or to help me get the hot rod to run correctly - or to bolt the body down to the frame because I didn't do that right etc etc....

I know this is something that can always be improved upon - and that's fine. I want a rolling working Hot Rod - and I can play and work out the details on the rest of the stuff that make it unique to me etc. Hope that makes sense.

Really looking for someone to help me get going here with a project - but need to set what I want - and need to also set a budget - so I know what I am getting myself into.

Anyways - for some pics and my thoughts:

This is what I have really loved recently. A truck build - could be Ford or Chevy - not partial - just want to build a truck - and love the way these things look.

photo3.jpg

photo.jpg

photo4.jpg

I'm not really sure the budget it would take to get something like this started - could use some help there to help set my expectations a bit.

I have always loved!!!!!! the 50's era Chevy trucks..... I saw this one in person this weekend and it really got my blood going.

81c4d164.jpg

The only issue I have with it - is the Ford truck above it - I can't stop coming back to - because it just is unique - when you see something like it - you know there is something special there. Not that there isn't with the Chevy truck above... and in the end I may go with something like that - due to cost and getting what I want out of it.

Here are some more -

Some guys have been talking about trucks or projects with Fenders - to hide if I went with an S10 frame etc - and to toss this in as well - if I decided to put A/C in this thing... This could be the way to go... So I found this pic somewhere and liked it... Never thought of doing something with Fenders - as I love the against the grain look of a Rat with open wheels - all slammed, low and loud! But hey - like this as well...

my20392061.jpg

My203920in20frt20of20Condo1.jpg

I really love the look of these Rats when they are slammed - so no matter what - I want something mean and low... loud as well - but can get that with right motor / header exhaust setup....

Some pics of things that I love and that caught my eye...

4bca1494.jpg

So sick... Love the color / the stance even the body style...

Some more that caught my eye...

0d099545.jpg

8f75ac6c.jpg

3a2dff43.jpg

122f9d9f.jpg

581636c4.jpg

e45e52bc.jpg

Think this gets me going here.

Would love to have some feedback on what is easier to build than others - what budgets may be for some of these things... and cool factor - I can understand that something more rare - is more cool... That info is helpful as well.

Thanks for your insights. I know this is like a loaded gun question - but I feel it will help me get closer to what I want to build - and closer to finding someone to help me build it etc...

Have a great night!

I think a pickup is generally cheaper and alot easier to learn on and cheaper to build. Fenders will make the S10 frame look much better. I recommend starting withe the 50's style truck and learn on it. The 30's style will cost alot more in my experience, I love them too but hard to afford and usually more metal work also. Hope this helps.

What can you do for yourself? Can you fab/weld? Are you good with engines, maintenance and repair? Or very little of either?

Not that this is an answer at all, but I think cost will be completely dependant on how much you can do, and how much you have to pay someone else to do...

42Chevy - I figured as much. Just need to see what I'm looking at for pricing and budget for these different types of builds.

PistolPete - I can do some work myself. But what I'm having an issue with is time. I don't have a lot as my work consumes most of it. I travel a lot and this becomes an issue.

So I'm looking for someone to help me get a full running and worker roller. Where I can take it from there and customize once I get it.

Make sense?

i am most likely going to start on a 50's chevy and keep it full body, but i am going to add a little of my racing soul into it. It will most likely have a 350 (or bigger) but instead of having straight pipes or dumps i have been really thinking about having the heads cut right out at the bottom of the fenders just behind the front wheels. (like drag cars and fenderless rats).

There is a yard in Lehigh Acres that i have heard about but i have not gone to check them out yet. They supposedly have a lot of different bodies there to choose from. when i figure out what it is that i am going to use for my body i am going to give them a shout. Actually, i am going to get in touch with them earlier than that so i can see what they are all about.

First thing that i have found is that when it comes to finding what you want in a project, to get it started innitially, you might have to travel to get the donor for a good price. You dont find to many "steals" here in Florida.

If you are dead set on an S-10 frame, you can get those for CHEAP. I mean, if you look for one you can get it for $150 complete and that is here in Florida. (I know of some people that can get them for me, maybe no title but they will be legal and legit).

As for the pleasure of the vehicle, that is all in how you build it. I take a lot of time in researching what i am going to build, so i dont have to build it twice for just one truck. It makes it a lot easier for me when i go to sit down and work on it if i have a plan in mind or on paper.

Are you able to weld? I am currently working with my friend (who is a fabricator) and he is teaching me how to weld. He is going to be working on my project/s with me since he loves this stuff just the same; but that is something that can help you out a lot so you dont have to rely on someone else to do your work for you.

I have found that when you take time and pride in your work people will see that more than whether or not they like the car/truck. i have seen a lot of trucks that i "like" but they were not taken care of or not well built and it killed my idea of the vehicle. There in, i have also seen vehicles that i cant stand (like ricers) that have been really well thought out and really well put together and i will find possitives in the vehicle that i otherwise wouldnt if the owner didnt take the time they did.

There have been a lot of writeups on other sites about the under $3000 builds. it can be done, but it wont be done quickly unless you have a lot of time to search out everything you want and need. With your time constraints you might not be able to find the best deals if you are looking to get this rod done quickly. but in your extensive travels you might be able to find things others might not since some people wont and dont post their goods on line.

what this all boils down to is take time and pride in what you are doing and dont worry so much about what anyone else says or thinks about what you have built. as long as you have no regrets in what you have done and you enjoy driving and showing it, that is all that matters. Those are some things that still take me a little while to remember as you can see from the other thread you posted that i replied in.

Reign - thanks for the post. Great insights.

Right now I am not stuck to an S10 frame etc. I was just looking at options to know what is available to me and why some use what they use. So I am totally open.

I can work on the project here and there - but really this will slow it down rather than help it. I need a shop or someone that builds Rods on the side - to help me get this project moving - and to give it to me as a roller - that drives. Then I can play with it and put final touches on it.

You're right - I can find a lot of cool things in my travels that may not be available to me on the internet - I did this a lot with my Bike project. I travel a lot to California - almost monthly - and have picked up a lot of cool things out there.

I also work in the automotive aftermarket industry - which gives me access to a lot of potential parts and accessories etc.

But right now - I am looking at what it takes to build some of these projects - I am not worried about how long it will take someone to build me something to get me going - more so than I am at what it would cost - or what I need to budget for - and what is easier than other builds etc.

Learning a lot here though. I hope I am asking the right questions. Just want to be educated here on this whole thing before I dive in.

Thankful, may i suggest looking through the rat rods for sale section. there was a sweet mid 50s dodge there recently that just needed wiring for $600. Finding someone elses abandoned project is a great way to start.

sometimes you can get a good deal out there. personally i want to build an old wrecker truck. early to mid 40's, but i want to get into bio diesel and military multi fuel engines. lots of my family work in performance diesel back in illinois, got a cousin building some top notch pulling trucks. i just want to go a different route with it. a friend of mine had a 37 (?) chevy wrecker truck on his property for a long time when i was younger. kinda sparked the idea a long time ago. but i think it would be cool to build an old wrecker that still works. and i think for the area i live in now, and some of the other places i have lived in the past few years. there are probably a lot of well off people who would be into buying an old rat even more if it had something besides a gas engine in it. just my thoughts. good luck on the project.

Rev.. I think that's a great idea. I have gone through all the ads on this forum. I believe there are 9 pages of them. I feel there were some really good finds. Before I went there I wanted to start a thread like this to see what I am looking at in regards to budget etc.

But 600$ man - that sounds really good. When I get back to my computer I will have to hunt that down and take a look at it.

Thanks for the info.

I know you are searching for ideas on a build , I have a special "cool" trucks album in my photobucket . Everytime I see a truck that I like or that has a really cool something about it I store it in this album to come back to for ideas or inspiration . See if this helps you at all . Wow this is post # 1000 for me !!

http://s785.photobucket.com/albums/yy140/gregster-photo/Cool Truck pictures/

Last edited:
Thanks LarryH - I have to admit - I have been looking at that truck a lot lately as well.

Anyone know the year roughly of that Ford truck with the full fenders?

This one here -

my20392061.jpg

The barrel nosed full fender truck is something you would use a lot more than the first Ford. But it is a well balanced look and one I like. I always question 4 inch wide bias ply tires just for looks though. The look is right but realistically how much of a 350 could you get to the ground with those.
My opinion on the 55-59 Chevys is low. I've owned several and the cabs are junk, especially the doors. The ADs have a much better cab. Most of the other trucks pictured look pretty good. I think the Sedan is trying to hard to be a rat, it should look more natural and not quite so forced.

Friendly....Design is a personal thing, each of us is different. You work in Automotive Ind. talk to your clients and see if any of them know of a vehicle available. When you make the decision to build a Rod there is one thing to keep in mind at all time.....

......If you don't have a lot of time......you need a lot of Money.

Learn to weld, take some courses, learn, learn, learn.....rent some space to work if needed. Buy some tools, welder, grinder, wrenches. Invest in this hobby if it is what you truly want.

Have fun what ever you decide.

On a side note....I recently got a 46? Ford cab & chassis for 100can$. Projects are out there you just have to look.

Rant over......

That chevy for sell on here seems like a pretty good deal, It is almost to the point you could tinker with it when you have time, whatever else you need you could bring to a rod shop.

If that one doesn't work out you can always find someone else's project, something that is already to the point you want it.

If this is your first rod, I would search for a deal. You will grow to love it as you personalize it, I got my truck for free, I would not have picked a dodge at first, but you can't pass up on free, and now I am planning on owning two(one resto rat, and one rodded up a lil) I love it.

hope this helps, these are all some cool rods your thinkin about, let us know what you end up with

Paul

Latest posts

Back