Pulled Out Of Long Term Storage- OOOOOOPPPS.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pookie Bros

The Deacon of Diesel!
We pulled my bro's Chebbie treefitty out of storage to install into his Camaro. The engine was a fresh build with roughly 6 quarter mile passes on it.

We threw the biatch up on an engine stand and gave a quick once over to check its condition. Upon rotation-by hand- we found a tight spot- not good!:eek:

So we decided to tear it down for further inspection just to be safe.:)

We found that condensation had built up and rusted the rings to the cylinder bore.

pics:

IMG_1015.jpg

IMG_1030.jpg

IMG_1006.jpg

After some careful time spent using a hone, the cylinders cleaned up nicely- Left a nice crosshatch surface for the new rings to seat.

IMG_1019.jpg

IMG_1024.jpg

Then deburred the sharp corners and casting flash on the exterior of the block:

IMG_1039.jpg

IMG_1041.jpg

just curious, but was that motor stored in a plastic bag? i had a guy tell me once to never store an engine in a plastic bag as condensation will form within it from temp changes thereby leaving a rusty motor.....i was curious if there was any "proof" of that...or if there might be another reason...

i hate to ask "stoopid" questions but i learn alot from them;):D

BTW it looks really good now.....you pookies do good work...

just curious, but was that motor stored in a plastic bag? i had a guy tell me once to never store an engine in a plastic bag as condensation will form within it from temp changes thereby leaving a rusty motor.....i was curious if there was any "proof" of that...or if there might be another reason...

No hr preacher, this engine was just put inside, down in the basement, and I believe it was no less than 5 feet from his furnace.

I came across a 331 Hemi Engine quite a while back. I knew it was gonna be a long term storage engine. Back then there was a group of us renting a huge barn together. So in the winter- the only heat to speak of was from our Diesel Jet heaters which only ran when we were there workin in our divided off areas. I removed the Hemi heads, and rotated the crank, as each piston came to BDC, I would wipe marine quality grease onto the bores. I then rotated the crankshaft a few more times to spread the grease out and to get some onto the piston ring's faces. Everything else was sprayed down with spray oil. (Marvels Mystery Oil < the good stuff :) )

I relocated this engine to home in my garage- and I can go out there and rotate it as easily as the day I purchased it. :cool:

Condensation will get ya even in the places we think is good storage, humidity will also contribute to rust forming.

Good job cleaning up the motor.....you got a good camera too, what camera is it? Mine won't take close ups like that.

Thanks for sharing.
I am going to pull the heads and manifold off next week from a 351 Cleveland I picked up. Got it cheap because the guy didnt know anything about its internals. It will turn by hand at least. I hope it is rebuildable like yours was.

It's looking good. You took some time prepping the block so the paint job came out nice.

Here in Florida with our 900% humidity, I buy WD40 by the gallon can and periodically unbag and spray all the engines sitting in the shop. I shoot it everywhere, even on the engines that I will get around to building some day. It's amazing how fast rust will form if you don't.

Don

Latest posts

Back