Question for all!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CR55

It's just a little surface rust!
I saw this question posted on another site(nameless):) and was wondering what everyone thought. What do you look for in car shows? I know everyone is looking for Rats, but what makes you go to one car show and not another?[S
I like building them, so I'm looking at em, under em and all around. The build and design process intriques me more than anything else. I like looking at the bazillion $ cars, but they don't interest me as much as one that someone built with their time and sweat, not just dollars. I used to go to as many NSRA events as possible, but with the year change they implemented I'm not sure if I'm even gonna go to any this year. I go to as many local cruises as I can during the warm months. How about your thoughts?[S....CR:D

Personally I like everything, no matter what style or what the car. Somebody took the time, energy and money to do the build, and I can appreciate that, be it a Honda or 29 Chevy. I go to every show I can, take lots of pictures and hang with friends.

I look for anything thats old. I generaly walk by the rods with big wheels, bmw type headlights and leather interiors. Nothing wrong with those cars, just dont appeal to me. I too just prefer a car that you know somebody has dropped their own blood on and has a genuine pride in knowing they did it themselves. Dare I say even an import even though they dont interest me in the least.

Something different. Chassis engines paint etc. Not much on the mini low rider stuff. Brunettes blonds A good hamburger or corn dog and close to home.

I like the old-rough and weird stuff the most (they're like me :) ). Then theres the 'fun' cars (racers and street driven hot rods)--then theres the kids cars--baggers and minis and turbos and paint (the future of the culture).

PA41

I mainly like to look for different ideas,innovative stuff, low buck ideas that guys come up with that are cool and functional.I like cars that are build by their owners and used , type is not as important ,also personally I like rats, hotrods and the old salt racers.

i look at everything, old, new. don't care for ricers or much billet (unless i make it myself) i don't really like rust that much, i perfer paint but to each their own. like the car i'm building now has a glass body and ifs (pinto) but this build doesn't like much to be done and so for i only have about $1200 in it. so when i go to a car show i look at it all, and i like to take my grandson to tell and show him about all the cars and trucks. you know it takes all of us to keep this hobby alive.

odie[;)

Turn Ons: Rat Rods, any thing driven, home built, old stuff

Turn Offs: Trailer Queen Muscle Cars, Big 'displays' around a car, bolt-on builds

Biggest wish: World Peace :D:D:D

I'm pretty conservative. Baskerville wrote a great read about a well balanced rod once and I adapted a lot of his ideals.
I don't like too much goofy crap, especially if it serves no real purpose. I like balance, stance, tire rake, any of those just a little off and a car will hurt my eyes. I don't like to see a pickup with the back tires too close to the cab or the front tires too far out front, I know that will step on some toes around here but it's just my opinion and you asked. The radiator shell needs to be no further forward than the front of the front rims. Rods like fenderless S10 framed ones that have the radiator out in front of the tires just pain me. No open wheels on stock IFS front ends (like S10) either. Chops are cool but just because a little is fine doesn't mean a whole bunch is better, 3-4 inches max on most cars. I like old and/or oddball engines. I appreciate a 324 Olds way more than a 350 Chevy. And don't put Olds Rocket valve covers on an SBC either, that's just lameness. EFI hidden in old Hilborns is just as sacreligious. Fuax patina is ok at some level but putting it on a $50,000 car should get you a good trouncing.
The one thing I look for most is a car that gets driven. I almost always vote for a car I have seen on the street alot on one that has obvious sings of use.

turn ons home built ,unique, antique, expensive,cheap,well thought out cars
turn offs rust,lowriders

I think what draws me to one car show as opposed to another is the variety, quality and quantity of the vehicles on display. For instance, one of the shows I go to is the Atlantic Nationals in Moncton New Brunswick. Partly because it is close to where I live but also because there are a wide variety of cars there and the quality is top notch, and there are about 1500-2000 cars that register. (I know,I know.....a mere pittance to u folks in the US) BUT, If there was a gathering of say........Corvettes, Hundreds of them......... I'd stay home. NOT that I don't like Corvettes but I just think I'd get bored after a half hour or so. Also, no matter what show I go to I always enjoy meeting new car people. It seems that I always learn something new and always come away with a new friend. And that's cool.:)

I am getting jaded in my old age, tri-5 Chevys just do nothing for me anymore, well except maybe that Aussie 55 with the Merlin engine. Muscle cars, I like but you never see anyone spanking one like they were meant to be, mostly over-restored examples being idled around like some kind of granny in a 6 banger Dodge Aspen.

Turn Ons: Rat Rods, any thing driven, home built, old stuff

Turn Offs: Trailer Queen Muscle Cars, Big 'displays' around a car, bolt-on builds

Me too Sam! There are a few more turns off's for me though. Like rubber rats on a rat rod. The little dogs with there leg's hiked on a tire, and anything that just tacky's up a display.

Thunder

I go to local shows quite lot & love ones where the young punks hang out. They still have the energy to do it themselves, have kool ideas & are not afraid to hang it out there! Don't get me wrong though... old dogs can learn new tricks & have lots of great advice & stories!

BoB

I'm pretty conservative. Baskerville wrote a great read about a well balanced rod once and I adapted a lot of his ideals.
I don't like too much goofy crap, especially if it serves no real purpose. I like balance, stance, tire rake, any of those just a little off and a car will hurt my eyes. I don't like to see a pickup with the back tires too close to the cab or the front tires too far out front, I know that will step on some toes around here but it's just my opinion and you asked. The radiator shell needs to be no further forward than the front of the front rims. Rods like fenderless S10 framed ones that have the radiator out in front of the tires just pain me. No open wheels on stock IFS front ends (like S10) either. Chops are cool but just because a little is fine doesn't mean a whole bunch is better, 3-4 inches max on most cars. I like old and/or oddball engines. I appreciate a 324 Olds way more than a 350 Chevy. And don't put Olds Rocket valve covers on an SBC either, that's just lameness. EFI hidden in old Hilborns is just as sacreligious. Fuax patina is ok at some level but putting it on a $50,000 car should get you a good trouncing.
The one thing I look for most is a car that gets driven. I almost always vote for a car I have seen on the street alot on one that has obvious sings of use.

Yep, I'm down with the Willowbilly.:cool:

There's nothing wrong with "out of the box" thinking, that's what hot rodding's all about-BUT... a builder should have an eye for not only safety, but flow and proportionality as well. Too many cars nowadays are like a Larry Woods acidtrip...:rolleyes: Actually, bad styling isn't just limited to out own times...some pretty hideous stuff rolled out of Barris Kustoms, et al back in the late '50's thru the '60's...wish we had a "barfy" smiley here...:D

I like shiny, too. Kinda fed up with the whole "rust" thing. Low-buck-thoughtfully-cool is what grabs my eye.

Regards,
Shea:)

I like to check out all the cars,engines different builds everyone is different in there own way and good to see what they likeI also like to meet up with some others to talk and hangout and of course i may peek at the other scenery there too.... woman and music too

20's, 30's and into the mid 40's is the range that grabs my attention. So the more there are, or likely to be, is where I'll go to scout out ideas. There are always newer cars that may have some trick idea, or way of doing something, so those get the quick once over as well. I try not to get to narrow an outlook, or I could miss out on someone else's "eureka moment". You know, those subtle little ideas kind of half hid that make you go, "Whoa..hey look at this!!"

lots of great quotes here.
love old iron. from babbitt bearings to dimer switches on the floor. but even more to me is the talents/thoughts and labors to be them out. actually i enjoy watch n anyone thats good at what they do. whether run n a tig bead to take n a cut with a scrapper. and love green an yellow iron as well.

Last edited:
When I was showing the bikes I built, always going to shows, I was interested in what the guy or gal had done to their bike in modifications - frames, trannys,engines ,exhaust. It really didn't matter if it was old,new or a certain year - if it was H.D., Honda, Triumph or what ever. The same goes for Rat Rods, Hot Rods, Customs, Low Riders - - - It's all in the build and the time it took to think it out - Not just something thrown together.

Latest posts

Back