RANT

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScaryVoodooGirl

So last night/this morning around 2 am I start thinking (for some reason unbeknownst to me) about the keys for the car. I only have one. It works in the ignition. So I get changed, throw on some shoes and go out to the back garage...it fits in the doors (and from reading what I could find on the interwebs it should work for them) but doesn't unlock...so that means the locking thingermajigs need replacing, no big. BUT! I don't have the key (or haven't been able to find it in my searches through the boxes of stuff in the trunk/where the back seat should be) for the trunk or glovebox. Which means those also need to be ordered.

WHY THE uh...heck....ARE 2 KEYS AND THREE LOCKER THINGERS AND SUCH SO DAMN EXPENSIVE?! JESUS.

end rant.

If it is newer car they have chips imbedded in them and the car won't run without it being there. I wanted a spare for mine and it was $80. I tried various locksmiths and had to go back to the dealer.

Progress. :rolleyes:

Don

yeah my friend lost her key to her car (it was one of those fancy switchblade style ones) and it's going to cost her nearly $400 to replace it or something insane like that.
about 60 for the actual key piece, 150 for the housing, and 160 for the programming...whoa!
I guess $150 ish for 3 locks and two NOS keys isn't *too* bad

Not sure, but if you pull one of the locks, a local locksmith might be able to make a new key? Call and ask.

there's got to be a key for the trunk/fuel cap thing around here somewhere...because the cap is new (so I'm assuming the guy threw the key in the box somewhere)...the glovebox, I'm not *overly* worried about. Don't know if much will be in there if anything...it's all little stuff and not really needed right now, but I was kinda shocked at how pricey the units are. I'll call around locksmiths too and check! I know I can get blank "comet" keys for pretty cheap online, it'd be nice to have the "c" keys I think.

Well, you could have an old 60s style key that fit everything and even a dummy could steal your car in 30 seconds.
I've had locksmiths duplicate the encoded keys before, if they are up to date on that stuff. They have a computer program that helps. First key $65 and all others like it $30 per.

Latest posts

Back