Ratrod camper

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swanee

Hey guys! About a year and a half ago I posted a message about doing a ratrod camper for my husband to use when he goes to car shows. I got a lot of helpful information from all of you members. Unfortunately I failed to measure the floor to ceiling height inside the camper when I purchased it. It's 6' 1 and my husband is 6'4 (duh' guess that wasn't one of my finer moments, huh? ) Anyway , the camper I was going to do for him is now mine because it's just too small for him.
So I decided to do something unusual with it and I wanted to see what you guys think. I was planning on the ratrod theme for him and I really like the old and rusty look so I had an artist paint it for me. He used oil paint with sand and sawdust to creat the rusted look and it's held up very well. So ...here it is!
Hmmmm...apparently I can only get it to upload one picture at a time so here's a good one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 59
Thanks guys! The artist that painted worked for 3 days. He's only 21 and this was only the second camper he's ever done. Paint, labor and all was 1300 which I thought was a steal considering every inch was painted by hand. I did the inside with plywood floors. I got my husband to score them every 6 inches to make it look like planks. Then I painted them with porch paint and smeared glaze all over them to give it that old dirty look. The inside of the camper is all new wood everywhere but I used glaze to make it look like the ceiling and the corners are leaking. Don't know why I can't attach more than one picture at a time but I'll try. Oh, and I call her The Rusty Ritz. I got an invitation to show her this October at the Country Living a Fair at Stone Mountain, Ga. which is a huge event with thousands of people so I'm really excited!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 20
Forgot to tell you guys...the white wall tires were done with paint. It was a heck of a lot cheaper than real ones and I just repainted them when they start looking bad, lol! Can't get any cheaper than that and they've held up well on my trips. Here's a picture of the artist painting them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 17
Back