Regrets, selling vehicles.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been a bunch but here are a pics of 3 of them..also should have kept the 70 1/2 RS/SS camaro and 70 GTO I had..

67 SS tubbed,BBC
67camaro-1.jpg

64 Malibu SS
64_malibu_ss.jpg

68 350hp SS3396..original bench seat, column shift
68chevelle.jpg

I've got some old pics somewhere, just need time to find them and put them into the 'puter.

First, my second 67 Mustang. First one was a 6 cyl, plain jane car that I traded on my second one that was a 289, air, ps, pb car. Sold it because my folks wouldn't let me keep two cars, I had bought a 68 Caprice 2 door for more comfort in the big back seat, ah ehem.:D traded the Caprice in on a pickup.

Second one was our 77 Firebird Formula. It had the WS6 package and all the TA options including the 400 Poncho motor, but didn't have the TA hood or side scoops. Black and gold, just like the Smokey and the Bandit cars. Like others, we had to sell to pay bills.:mad:

Third, 36 Chevy two door sedan. Wife bought it for me for Christmas one year, never even got it home. Friend had it, was going to let her pay it out in payments, but I got layed off so we sold it back to him. It was a great start, already had a 350/350 combo in it.:mad:

Fourth, 67 Jeep M38 A-1. Had a Buick V6 in it. Fun little Jeep. Sold to pay bills. :mad:

Lastly, our 92 T Bird Sport. Pretty rare , HO 302 AOD car, fully loaded. Kids outgrew the smallish back seat, so we traded it for an Explorer.

I'd have to say my first one was selling my 67 nova that I bought when I was 14, restored it with help from my father, 283 powerglide combo with a shift kit. I had no clue on body work at the time but I learned a lot, had a family friend put new quarter panels and trunk in it, and we stripped it all down to bare metal to put a nice GM red paint job on it. By the time I was legal to drive I had pretty much rebuilt the whole car, including re-wiring the whole car as the previous owner had hacked it up pretty bad.

The other big regret sale was (and this probably wont hit home with most of you, but bear with me) my '87 nissan pulsar. I bought the car with a rod hanging out of the block so I towed it home, and got to work swapping in a 2L turbo engine from japan. When I got it running an driving oh man was that car fun to drive 205hp stock in that little car with T-tops... did a nice brake upgrade, and later decided I was going to make it an AWD car, so I did a ton of research and found out that nissan shared platforms with an AWD sentra wagon, bought the complete rear suspension and fit it to the back of the pulsar (using Tein coilovers this time around to get the stance correct) and picked up an AWD transmission from a GTI-R from japan. To my surprise the locations where the suspension mounting points should be had a hole in the outer panel, but not the inner, so all I had to do was drill through and bolt up just like it was factory. The GTI-R driveshaft was the right length, and the sentra wagon had the correct gear ratio as well. I swapped in an LSD carrier from a newer subaru and it was on.

If I had it to do over again, knowing what I know now, that car would have wreaked much more havoc on unsuspecting muscle car people than it did... always loved racing people in that car with faded paint and a dented left fender... they always looked like someone shot their dog when they lost...

As pictured below in chronological order:

1971 Chevelle Convertible: 69 350/TH350 Wrecked in a street race.

1969 Chevelle: 350/TH350 Stolen, never found.

1970 Charger: 383/Automatic. Inherrant electrical issues and ran hot (hence the spot on the ground from the overflow tube in the pic). Sold.

1970 Chevelle: 71 350/TH350 Sold after getting married just before moving to Texas on field assignment.

1969 C/20: 327/TH400 Sold back to original owner after he saw it fixed up and begged to buy it back.

1978 Z/28: 350/4 Speed Traded in after assignment ended and a move to Louisiana for the 92 Siverado due to increased pressure from the wife to stop attempting to kill myself in a torrent of twisted metal.

1972 Chevelle: 70 350/TH350 From wrecking yard to almost bracket racer. Teamed up with a friend in Texas to build it and do some legal racing at a local Dragstrip. Pressure from wives and field assignment drawing to an end shut the project down. Sold unfinished.

1992 Silverado 1500: 350/TH400 Sold it during divorce, since La. is community property state, she got half the cash. I spent my half on..

1988 GMC Sierra: 350/TH350 Traded it in for..

1986 Custom 20 Suburban: (not pictured) 350/TH400 Used to move the remains of my life to SoCal. Sold.

2000 Tundra SR5: (not pictured) 4.6L V8/Auto Sold it to move myself and the 53 Ford I bought in Central Valley Ca. back to Louisiana after SoCal became impossible to afford.

Attachments

• oldrides1.jpg
    oldrides1.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 8
  • oldrides2.jpg
    oldrides2.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 8
  • oldrides3.jpg
    oldrides3.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 8
  • oldrides4.jpg
    oldrides4.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 10
[S Only ever sold my first car............. still have the second [S and third [S and oh wait sold the fourth :D but kept the fifth [S and sixth [S and seventh [S

OK OK so I have only ever sold 2............... my first car 94 cougar Xr7 with a 4.6L V8 and my 96 cavalier 4 banger...........

Do for wheelers count? I was always mad that I spent a month of time and effort fixing up my quad and turned around and sold it a week later.

I just can't bring myself to want to sell one of my projects. I am afraid of what some one else will do to them.........

64 Dodge 4 door sedan. Fire engine red with a cream colored top. Sold it to pay off the house so the wife could stay home with the kids. It was the last piece of the puzzle for that to happen. I sold it in 1985 and think about it every once in a while. No real value to anyone but me. I would do it again for her to stay home.

Latest posts

Back