risking being shot.......

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i maybe risking getting my head ventilated but, over this side of the pond the rat movement is growing, and the younger generations are getting involved,. however we not really youing the traditional rods, customs etc. I for instance have an '86 BMW E28 520i, thats been dropped customised a little and painted with grey primer/black, and maybe getting some stripping done soon.
and there seems to be more appering, like honda civic's inmatt paint and bare steel bonnets, golfs, etc.

what i was wondering is is such a seen growing over there??? if so is there a term to describe these cars?? because it's very very wrong to call these a rod. (ps. i am a huge rod fan, but at 28 in a slowly improving job, living in this baddly govered country, and trying to build a super gas/ comp 105e (which will be red oxide with white stripping) i can't affford to buy anything remotly rod like :'( ) I'm also in the process of trying to start a facebook group and poss a local club which will be called Rattified.

I for one have always been in favour of the younger guys building a "Rod" out of whatever they can get there hands on. That is the essents of the hobby after all. Right from the very first days of the hobby it was always young guys building rods out of what they could get there hands on. Now as for a name for your car. This just hit me as I was reading your post. How about this. Being your car is of the "Modern ara" why not start a new sub group called "Rat Mods"

Makes sence to me anyway. :D

European Rods

I'm another one on board with you! Go with what you got and enjoy it. I just posted a thread a week ago about doing a V8 swap to my 89 Volvo 740 GL Wagon. It's not exactly a hot rod either. I prefer to think of it as a soon to be quick-brick. Like the guys have said, it's all about using what's available. There's nothing wrong with being different and making your car how you want it to be no matter what model or year.

I appreciate that you aren't calling these newer retro flavored cars "rat rods" because no they aren't that at all. Thanks! They do however deserve a legitimate title or tag but I'm not exactly the best one to decide that.

Thunder

Last edited:
I think it's great, I've always said build whatever makes you happy.

On another note I never have understood the "Traditional Hotrod" term, to me it should be "Historical Hotrod" because what we build as traditional hotrods are what people built years ago (not the way they did it). For example if you went back in time and grabbed a kid from 1955 and showed him the traditional hotrod you just built to copy his and then he saw a LS-1 sitting in the corner with a 5 speed transmission he would say "Why in the world aren't you using that?" Not to say I don't love the old flathead hotrods, I really do I just think they are really "Historical Hotrods".

A traditional hotrod would be what a young person could find (and afford) and modify it with the best available parts they could afford.

For me when I was a kid, my traditional hotrod was a Chevy II "Nova" with a 350 from a wreck which I put a cam, intake, carb and headers on...oh, and some Cragar mags.

Sorry for the long ditribe, I've just been thinking about all this for a while and it got out.

Modern cars are plasticky and fake. I support anyone who has the need to make their ride more organic and real :) Jalopy is a broad old term that no one argues with.... Mod Jalopies!.. It doesn't have any "I'm with the in crowd" appeal yet but print some t-shirts and stickers, post a U-Tube video under that title and there you are! :D

cheers for the support guy's, like the 'rat mods' name rodguy. works well. now just to find some like minded folk....hmmm, shouldn't be too hard i'll keep you posted on how i do.

I think it's great, I've always said build whatever makes you happy.

On another note I never have understood the "Traditional Hotrod" term, to me it should be "Historical Hotrod" because what we build as traditional hotrods are what people built years ago (not the way they did it). For example if you went back in time and grabbed a kid from 1955 and showed him the traditional hotrod you just built to copy his and then he saw a LS-1 sitting in the corner with a 5 speed transmission he would say "Why in the world aren't you using that?" Not to say I don't love the old flathead hotrods, I really do I just think they are really "Historical Hotrods".

A traditional hotrod would be what a young person could find (and afford) and modify it with the best available parts they could afford.

For me when I was a kid, my traditional hotrod was a Chevy II "Nova" with a 350 from a wreck which I put a cam, intake, carb and headers on...oh, and some Cragar mags.

Sorry for the long ditribe, I've just been thinking about all this for a while and it got out.

Very well said. I agree with you 100%. Build what you can with what you can get. If you are discouraged by one group, look for the group with similar interests. Not everyone likes what you like and you may not like what others like. How boring would that be.

You do your thang, and I'll do mine.

CS68

Latest posts

Back